Gk Dreadnoughts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gk Dreadnoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i have 2 dreadnoughts and i'm thinking about what 2 put on them, i planned to have 1 with a missile launcher and lascannon, and another with a missile launcher and a plasma cannon

should i give them both Lascannons or entirely different weapons?
    Dont comment on ccw please i play against tau mostly(no kroot)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you should go with your first idea friend, tau are all about the shooty, i would use lascannons and missle launcher combo. plasma cannon is a good idea, but for someone who can shoot you way back in the back, missle launcher is a good idea, and twin linked lascannon, well you just cant go wrong there. heh, one thing though, dont forget they still have to roll for range when they are shooting at it. its just like any other grey knight on the field. good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so don't take plasma?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont forget they still have to roll for range when they are shooting at it. its just like any other grey knight on the field
    Brother Willim, i think that you are mistaken. In the codex it does not state that they get it. They are not counts as a Grey Knight under the terminology and so do not gain it. And the fact that u have to buy the anti-psy power shows this. the tau do no have to rool to see the dread and so u need to keep him hull down as they will target him with everything(as he is the biggest threat and easiest to hit)

other thing u have to remember is that the average roll for shrouding is 34.5" and so most tau will still be able to hit u. i would not rely on it but have it to act as a risk and to help u get closer (and avoid and fire when they roll really low)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wel won't be the first time i've been in error on something. for some reason i was thinking they did im gonna call the rulez boys and find out. wouldnt the game work better if we could bend it to our every whim? heh, but max has an excellent point. hull down is the best option. i wouldnt bother with the plasma cannon. id teleport guys in and get up close and personal quick as you can with em.and if your taking an inquisitor, get a calidus.it will be worth the look on your opponents face when she pops out. happy gaming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you said no suggestions about close combat, but wouldn't you WANT to get them in close combat? Tau suck in CC, and GK excel... so why would you take both with missile launchers? It seems to me like you are depriving yourself some verstaility in the dreads making them basically mirror-images of each other?

I play with two dreads as well, and one has a twin las & missile launcher + storm bolter and the other has a plasma cannon, power fist and Hvy Flamer. they work well off each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

igaston72, i don't think u can get a storm bolter on your first dreadnaught as it has no CCW and this is wat the storm bolter/Heavy Flamer/Incinerator is mounted on. SO, if u get a missile launcher, u lose the storm bolter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in response to igaston72

how could i get my dread that close to the tau they are all shooty, and besides the broadsides, hammerheads and rail rifles of my enemy would rip me apart before i got there(i play big boards to)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If one of your dreadnoughts gets in to assault it will slaughter any Tau it comes across regardless. The more guns you put on it the more it shoots them up getting there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you lose the storm bolter if you upgrade the CCW to a Missile launcher. the codex doesn't specify you lose it when you upgrade. Also, the new Forge World Dreads for Space marines and CSM have the Storm Bolter mounted under the carapace, rather than the arm...

As for marching up the dread, that's what extra armor and smoke launchers are for. Just get him as close as possible, start him in cover and advance him. If you bring along a rhino, the rhino can act as moving cover for the dread even.

then you fire away using the fire control dread (las and missile launcher) firing from the back in cover.

I did this pretty effectively fighting an eldar force yesterday

I lost the dread on the last turn but he killed lots of eldar, and soaked up a number of shots

With tau... its even better. their weapon skill and initiative are pathetic. they beg to get killed hand to hand. Also, now with the Trial vehicle rules, dreads count for extra guys for morale and enemies can't get your rear armour, so they have been beefed up! So now a single dread can outnumber a softened up tau fire warrior's squad all by its self.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast