Horde killers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horde killers

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Horde killers

OKay in light of loosing to a huge ork horde i need to know some effective horde killers to add while maintaining the ability to deal with MEQs. OTHER THAN LANDSPEEDERS!!! I have in my army 3 6 man squads of double plasma, 1 squad of devastators (missiles), 7 bikes in squads of 4 and 3. I have an 1850 list which adds another squad of missile devastators and makes the bikes 5 man(2 meltaguns each and powerswords for sergeants) and adds a heavy bolter attack bike and a whirlwind. I have been considering heavy bolter devastators. What do you think?

forgot to mention I also have a dreadnaught which I usuall kit out as a tank hunter.

Last edited by Librarian Augustine; January 19th, 2006 at 22:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop all the plasma ect, what i hate it MULTIPLE shots.. so the hvy bolter is your best bet ^^
    I am Narcotick. Fear me.

LO Musicians clan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

drop all the plasma....the only things I'm going to not put in would be attack bikes and the second missiles devastators and whirlwind. the thing is I still want to be able to take out MEQ armies
    Last edited by Librarian Augustine; January 19th, 2006 at 23:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heavy bolters are gonna be your best friend in this one so drop the plas.:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Your problem is a basic one, you lack a solid core of tactical marines.

For marine horde killers, it's best to have a solid shooty base of bolter armed marines and roll lots of die, rather than max out on the fast attack. Taking 30 odd point bikes when your facing an army of 7 point Orks is simply unnecassary. I would never play shooty with less than 30 basic marines, you have 12. Also I don't see the point about Whirlwinds. Anyone who remembers the old nastiness of Tyranid Biovore acid rounds (wound on a +4) will know Ordinance Templates hurt with or without AP3. Roll a lot of wounds, and it doesn't matter about the armour saves.

Here is my current 1500pt shooty list, undefeated to Orks or Nids. Obviously I'm not being unreasonable and asking you to copy it, but it's what I find works.

Chaplain - Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack 121pts

Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Extra Armour 110pts
    Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, Extra Armour 110pts

5 Man Tactical Squad (All squads in this list are armed with Bolters) - Lascannon + Plasma Gun 100pts
    5 Man Tactical Squad - Lascannon + Plasma Gun 100pts
    10 Man Tactical Squad - Missile Launcher, Powerfist Sergeant 190pts
    10 Man Tactical Squad - Missile Launcher, Powerfist Sergeant 190pts

10 Man Assault Squad - 2 Plasma Pistols, Powerfist Sergeant 260pts

Whirlwind 85pts
    Whirlwind 85pts
    Predator Annihalator, Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armour 150pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

actually I have 18. 3 6 man squads. I forgot to mention my 10 man command squad. My full list for 1500 has 46 guys. i will re-do and post in army lists section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think those HB devastators would be a good idea...
    12 shots per turn, thats one genestealer squad gone right there!
    HB, is going to be the key for you to win. In my list of 1500pts I have 7 HB normally and 10 vs horde armies and, trust me no horde player has ever got multiple squads into combat with my front line!

Happy HBing!
    HPA

Records as of Jan 1st 2006:
    Blood Angels: 10-2
    Biel-Tan Eldar: 1-0
    Necrons(Recently sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Age old question, anti horde or anti MEQ

I've got to agree with both Addoran, and High Priest Avion, you need to cut out some of the Plas and add shots on target. Best way I can think of is the HB dev squad and max out your Tac squads. The new forte of the Marines is the rapid firing bolter. 10 man tac squads when coupled with an assualt squad adds up to lots of rounds on target followed by a devestating assualt. I call this my Hammer and Anvil teams, 10 man tac squad and 10 man assualt squad sans jumppacks. Like Addoran said, add more bodies to your list. Think about the numbers 30 bolter rounds (20 from tac, 10 from assault) followed by 30 CC attacks and thats just the stock set up without any special weapons. What 40k army has a single squad that can absorb that? Not a Orc mob! Maybe the SOB's with power armor but even then only a 20 sister squad could expect to hold.
    breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need a core of marines to chew up your opponent with small arms fire before they reach you, but let's face it, they will reach you. When they reach your line you will not be able to shoot them, duh, and when they kill your front line (I'm supposing they will since hoard armies tend to do so) they will need to die fast before meeting with another unit in CC tieing up another shooty unit. So here is where HB's come in. Let's start with what you have.

- 3 units of 6 with double plasma, that's 2 plasma guns (not plasma gun & plasma cannon I assume??), so you are using traits. Then leave these, no need to add heavy weapons here, you don't want to. Spread them in an arc infront of your main group, 7" in front. Then put your missile dev squad behind them and....well you have nothing else. I bet if you put a 10 man tactical squad here with a HB that woudl be enough, or a HB dev squad.

Hope that helps
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the dreadnaughts i find that a twin linked heavy bolter is overall better than the assult cannon. its not as good at taking down armoured targets or heavy monster things, but it has the extra 12" range and re rolls misses so its good for chewing up nids or orks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast