Suggestions for Imperial Navy Flyer bases. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for Imperial Navy Flyer bases.

I'm about to start work on my Imperial Navy flyers (3 valkyries, a vulture, and a lightning strike). I want them to be on a transparent base like the one used for the Space Marine Land speeder but bigger and taller. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use the BIG transparent base vice the small one:yes:
    "Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Bags of big transparrent bases are available from GW or the online store, however, If you want your flyers to go a bit higher than the table, I once saw something at a convention that might interest you. They used a CD (or something a similar size) as a base, and a radio ariel as the stem, making their helicopters an ajustable height.

I couldn't help but feel proud if my Valkerie was able to fly high above the table, then engage VTOL and come down to drop it's troops off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own at least one of each Imperial Flyer and my experience has been that the plastic bases supplied by GW are not structurally sound enough for Forgeworld fliers.

I would find a much sturdier material for the base. I personally used 1/8" thick balsa wood, then I used a band saw to cut into them into circular shapes and, lastly, I attached radio antennae to the bases so that I could adjust the height of each aircraft.

As Xethemez said, this makes it much easier for you and your opponent to keep up with which VTOL craft is hovering, landing or flying.

If you ever dig deep into your wallet and purchase a Super Heavy Flyer, then I would suggest using an even sturdier base such as plywood and a heavy guage car antenna instead of a cheap radio antenna.

Worlds Collide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting topic as i have to do the same to my lightnings and valkyries very soon also. I like the idea of the radio arial, but has anyone found that they weaken over time?
    Also, whats the best method to attach the ariel to the base itself, especially with regards to the CD base concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

Words Collide is right, if you are going to spend the money on the flyer you might as well make yourself a plywood base or something similar.

You can get some pretty strong ariels out there, try at a model aircraft shop and tell them what you are looking for. Even cheap R/C ariels tend to be stronger than radio ariels. You will probibly be able to get a strong ariel with a solid metal base. Then all you have to do is drill a hole the right size in a wooden disk and weigh it down to keep the flyer on the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice ideas with the ariels, I never would have thought of something like that. All this time I was searching for some modular stand of some sort that I could remove or add parts to make it shorter or longer. I thought I might have to find something obscure at an Ikea furniture store or something lol. Okay, you guys gave me a good suggestion for a stand, but I would really like a transparent base of some sort. A CD is nice, is there any way to make one transparent?

Also, I suppose these ariels are glued to your flyers instead of being 'screwed' on? I just think there might be times when I want to represent the flyer as being completely grounded like when a lightning is just sitting on an airbase.
    Last edited by IGAirborneRanger; January 21st, 2006 at 00:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

Also, I suppose these ariels are glued to your flyers instead of being 'screwed' on? I just think there might be times when I want to represent the flyer as being completely grounded like when a lightning is just sitting on an airbase.
    Actualy I havn't tried this yet. IN Flyers are far too expensive for me! Not that I wouldn't love to use them.

It might be possible to make the flyer removable. Certainly I have seen ariels with threads on the base - but I'm not sure about the top end. I think you might just have to drill a tight recess for it. How sturdy is the bottom of the flyer? If it's a single sheet of resin then obviously you will need another solution.

One possibility for the transparrent base would be to have a disc of plexiglass, or other transparrent polymer. You can buy it in sheets quie cheaply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to use magnets to make my Vulture detachable from the flying stand.
    Message to GW: Make more ForgeWorld rules official...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

That's not a bad idea, but they would have to be extremley stong magnets to hold it on there. I would rather trust my £65 model to a nice deep recess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast