BT Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BT Tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BT Tactics

I've just decided to start a Black Templar army. I got a tactical squad with those Black Templar parts so far. On wednesday I will buy the codex and maybe a rhino. I've read that it is tactics written in the codex but maybe you guys know some more tactics that really are usefull.

Maybe somone has written a BT Tactica on LO, I don't know. :sleep:

Thanks for any help.

Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Before you go too deeply into Black Templars, take a good close look and make sure they're what you want. I dove in and decided that, for the most part, I could play the same army as a Take the Fight to Them army out of the codex, except with more flexibility. Many Black Templar armies I've seen could have been fielded almost exactly as a codex army.

The advantages, to me, of Black Templars are vows and being able to take extra HS choices in the form of LRCs (if you're willing to pay for the things.) You pay extra points for this however, -must- take two HQs, and lose several good units. Neophytes are a mixed bag, really. Large numbers can certainly be handy, however you're mixing armor and WS which can be troublesome. Righteous Zeal is another one of those mixed things. If you have an opposing unit 3" away from you on it's turn (and ready to charge) it has to decide if it wants to shoot you and risk loosing it's charge bonus, or just charge you and not give you a chance to zeal. At the same time, you are giving your opponent a means to pull you out of cover.

I've tried a few forms for my Templars. The second was trying to put it together as a fast moving force with drop pods, fast attack, and infiltration. There's really nothing -wrong- with this approach, but it doesn't really play to any advantages that Black Templars have over a trait army. Every time I approached the army I couldn't help but think 'If I was using traits, this could be better.'

One solid approach is to just go for numbers. If you throw enough tactical marines at a problem, the problem will go away. With Neophytes, you can throw even -more- models at the problem. This is, of course, not to say that all you should take are tactical squads. You drop your average (unequipped) cost per model by two points if you use an even mix of Initiates and Neophytes, so you can squeeze in a few more models. For a "standard" squad of 10 men, 1 PFist, and 1 Meltagun regular marines run you 190, whereas the same squad with 5 Initiates and 5 Neophytes would run you 155. You'll run into problems if you're facing a lot of AP4 weaponry with this approach however. As such, I like to keep Neophytes well in the minority so that the lower armor save doesn't come into play until after your opponent has had to deal with your 3+ saves.

A third approach is to go for an armored list. Black Templars have the potential to field more tanks than any other SM army. They're somewhat similar to Iron Warriors in this respect. The good thing is that we don't have to give up two fast attack slots for this. The downside is that we don't get the good Chaos upgrades, the Basilisks, or the Obliterators that can really make IW scary. Still, you have the option to drop a lot of armor on the table if you choose. Mechanized Marines don't seem to be overly popular however, and there's a good chance that you could have everything blown all to hell if your opponent has a lot of tank busting.

I'm sure there are others, however the second two that I mentioned are the only ones that I've seen that really make use of the Black Templar abilities. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you're making good use of the advantages Black Templars gain over codex and trait Space Marines. If you aren't using them, you'll probably be better off using traits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was some good information. Thanks.. I will read the codex and decide after that. I guess I will continue with them because they look so damn cool and I'm not searching for a "I rule all enemies" army. Just paint them up, make a pretty good list that I'm satisfied with and see how it's going in a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Templars are best fielded as an assault army. That is not to say that they can't do other things, but they are hamstrung for shooting. They lack dev squads and whirlwinds. Bikes and speeders (especially tornadoes) are your best units for fire support. Ground troops risk surging ahead when shot at, similar to Blood Angels. Taking large numbers of troops is your best bet. It increases your survivability when shot at and allows you the ability to absorb assault damage. I suggest 20 man crusader squads (10 init + 10 neos). With mixed armor rules you would take wounds away from the neos on the first round they take damage. This would leave all your inits for the assault. Powerfists and meltaguns are good for the tough targets that you may face up close and personal.

When building your army I would invest mainly in crusader squads. These squads contain all the items that are most valuable to the Templars: plasma guns, meltaguns, power weapons, and powerfists. I would recommend buying a few individual lascannon marines as well. You have to get a LR Crusader! It is expen$ive, but no true Templar force of any size would be without one. I you can afford it I would also suggest a couple of predators and definately some Land Speeders.

Good Luck!

PS - Remember that you can still use your Templar models as a "vanilla" or codex SM army if you want to. My Marines were painted up as Templars long before the Armageddon rules or the BT codex came out. I think it is a simple but good looking color scheme.
    Last edited by Lord Malachi; January 23rd, 2006 at 23:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is the list i plan on usin. in theory it would work... since you guys are talking about this could you guys critique my list seein as it never gets looked at in the list thread.
    hq
    emperors champion
    vow accept any challenge no matter the odds 140

marshall,power sword, bolt pistol,holy orbs. 111

troops

x9 initiates,ccws, power fist, melta
    rhino,extra armour, smoke launchers. 227

x10 initiates, ccws, power fist,melta
    rhino,extra armour, smoke launchers. 243

x10 initiates, ccws, power fist, melta

x10 initiates, ccws, power fist, melta

elites

x8 Sword bretheren,infiltrate,ccws,meltagun,power weapon 177

x8 Sword bretheren,infiltrate,ccws,meltagun,power weapon 177

heavy support

vindicator, power of the machine spirit, extra armour 163
    smoke launcher

predator, hb sponsons, extra armour,smoke launchers 138

predator, hb sponsons, extra armour,smoke launchers 138

2000 points exactly.
    58 model count

any way imo walking tac marines and scouts into an enemy is not viable. nor is usin em to shoot the enemy with any thing but tanks.... atleast from a templars stand point... hope i helped
    "be without fear in the face of your enemy, be brave and upright god may love thee, always speak the truth even if it leads to your death,and above all safe guard the helpless and do no wrong"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help guys. Very heplfull. The list was inspiring aswell. :rolleyes:

+ Reply to Thread