Techmarine tactics help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Techmarine tactics help

I have thought about grabbing a techmarine for my Black Templars, I just thought the model was cool. What would be the best way to use him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by csandvik
    I have thought about grabbing a techmarine for my Black Templars, I just thought the model was cool. What would be the best way to use him?
    Seriously, the best way to use a techie is to not use him, or just leave him on your shelf. Otherwise, just give him tech servitors and leave him right next to all your long-ranged vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good way to use him is in a LR rushing army, other than that for BT i don't think there is much of any use!

HPA

Records as of Jan 1st 2006:
    Blood Angels: 10-2
    Biel-Tan Eldar: 1-0
    Necrons(Recently sold)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    Seriously, the best way to use a techie is to not use him, or just leave him on your shelf. Otherwise, just give him tech servitors and leave him right next to all your long-ranged vehicles.
    I agree, though i'd only really use one in larger battles when you have points to spare. The best way to use them is to give him tech servitors and repair vehicles that sit back and shoot. But BT's isn't really a sit back and shoot army so not much use for him there.

Only other way to use him is to load his servitor's with guns and shoot, but i think a dev sqaud would be more effective.

Techies look good, but don't really work well in an army.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Windows is the ENEMY
    'Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool'
    Your pony died because it wasn't pretty enough...nooooooooooooo - pure pwnage
    Due to global warming my homework has spontaneously combusted
    Saya menamen monyet. Wah! Mahal!
    Byte me
    Magikan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My techmarine tactic is to leave him on the shelf. He looks way-cool, but that's about it.
    No retreat! No surrender!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Greetings,

I started a new thread on the topic of Techmarines today, but it was closed due to being redundant. The suggestion from the moderator was to go through the forums discussing Techmarines from the last several months and resurrecting one of those. I just finished reading through all of the Techmarine related threads for the past six months, and none covered the question I posed below, so I'm attaching it to this thread, as it is related to the topic.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

For this topic I'd like to discuss the Techmarine. The techmarine is an old favorite, that has been in Space Marine armies since the first list in Rogue Trader. Until the most recent version of the Space Marine codex, the techmarine was always a cheap upgrade option for a regular marine (as was the Apothecary), who added a little technical/mechanical capability to the force, and a whole lot of gothic marine 'flavor'.

Now, however, the Techmarine is an expensive Independent Character, that eats up one of your three Elite slots. He has been tooled up with all kinds of gizmo's, in a sort of haphazard "jack of all trades, master of none" fashion.

First, I'd like to ask who among the Space Marine commanders on this forum actually include a Techmarine in their fielded armies? I expect the consensus is a resounding "No!", and all of our Techmarines have been relegated to our display shelves.

For whatever it is worth, I'd love to see future versions of Marine codexes to return the Techmarine to his former simple glory. Allow up to one model in any power-armour marine squad to be upgraded to a Techmarine for 10 points. He'd get an Auspex and Signum, and access to the armoury (and could then load up on all the other expensive options to include power weapons, servo-arms and harnesses, etc.). This would allow commanders the flexibility to take a cheap but useful guy, or an expensive tooled-up machine-priest, depending on the commander's needs.

What do you think?

Regards,
    Valerian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, as an Iron Hands player, I love the techmarine. I use 2 Elite an 1 or 2 HQ, depending on points. For Black Templar, take a 9 man sword bretheran unit and stick a techmarine in. Give the SB a powerweapon, and give your sarge a fist. The techmarine, however give a powerfist and termi honors. so, for 140 points, you have a flamer, a twin linked Plasmapistol, 7 powerfist attacks on the charge, yes 7! 2 base, 2 from servo harness, termi honors, 2 hand weapons(Fist and powerweapon), and charging. You also get to shoot your bolt pistols and servo harness when you get out of your rhino.

Frankly, I suprised more people don't use the techmarine, I have 4, and they preform magnificently. One game against Dark Eldar, my Techie gat stuck in a unit of 20 Grotest, he was out in 2 turns, only to be charged by an archon and an ass- load of incubi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

I disagree with giving your techmarine a powerfist. As an IC, he actually fights models in base to base with him. Without an invulnerable save, techmarines fall to powerweapons far to easilly. His attacks at I4 are needed to clear away those things it can before they get their attacks. Unfortunately, he still only has an I of 4 and most dedicated close combat units will go before him. I have yet to see a techmarine succeed in close combat against anything resembling a close combat squad. He does alright against non close combat squads but for the same price you could pick up a second HQ with a higher BS, WS and I who will do far more in the end.

Since the release of the new codex I have tried diligently to find a use for the techmarine. Everything from as an attached close combatter, to a mini dev squad to a repair unit. In all cases, his points would have been spent better elsewhere. He look sfantastic on paper but never performs as well as youd expect in battle.

To the poster above, grotesques, with their main ability being ignore injury and their lack of powerweapons are probably the only thing a techmarine is good at dealing with. Im sure the archon and incubi mentioned tore him a new one in a single round.

IMHO techmarines are best left on the shelf.

Oh and Dingareth please explain how a model with 7 attacks managed to get through 20 models in 2 turns? Especially, as I believe they have an equal WS.
    Last edited by Chaosbrynn; January 30th, 2006 at 22:56.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combat res.

And giving him the fist, what happens if you Sword Bretheran unit runs up against say anthing that's armour 12? Furious charge won't help you, you can only get 11. How's about haveing 7 powerfist attacks to do something to it. And seeing as I can't have Captins(from rules) and chaplins(from fluff) I'd go ahead and give my Iron Halo to my Techmarine, or a combat shield even. I made an ungodly amount of save from Plaguemarine plague swords on a combat shield.

Also, Most have said that the techmarine is a cool model. In the book, however, the illistration shows him with a large glove with a bunch of tools on it. On my Termi Techmarine, He has a Chainfist, however, this is represented as a large hand with tool attached. One of which is a welder looking thing. Also, you could include a techmarine with any dedicated assult unit, just to get the shooting before hand. Nothing is better than a Librarian and his command squad, with a techmarine attached, popping out a a Crusader, and wasting an entire unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Dingareth
    Combat res.
    Huh? BT vow?

And giving him the fist, what happens if you Sword Bretheran unit runs up against say anthing that's armour 12? Furious charge won't help you, you can only get 11. How's about haveing 7 powerfist attacks to do something to it.
    Not much better the a sergeant with powerfist, and FAR more expensive.

And seeing as I can't have Captins(from rules) and chaplins(from fluff) I'd go ahead and give my Iron Halo to my Techmarine, or a combat shield even. I made an ungodly amount of save from Plaguemarine plague swords on a combat shield.
    I wouldnt wager such an expensive model on a combat shield. Secondly, chaplains are perfectly allowed in BT armies, if you dont use one thats your choice. Also, as far as im aware, a marshall is the exact same thing as a captain.

Also, you could include a techmarine with any dedicated assult unit, just to get the shooting before hand. Nothing is better than a Librarian and his command squad, with a techmarine attached, popping out a a Crusader, and wasting an entire unit.
    Yes, a librarien, command squad and attached chaplain. Much better. As to the shooting before hand, any decent player can deny a flamer on a model that moves 6" so your leftt with a plasma pistol.

Perhaps with certain vows a techmarine may be useful in combat. Hes still not as useful as the HQ choices however and is certainly worthless for every other SM chapter. Well, In my opinion anyways.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast