Doom Eagles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doom Eagles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doom Eagles

For my Doom Eagles I went with;

Take the fight to them
    Blessed be the warriors

Aspire to glory

My thought were since the Doom eagles are a Successor chapter to the Ultra Marines that perhaps they either didn't have the resources to give the Doom Eagles Terminators and Dreadnoughts or that the Ultra Marines felt that they needed to prove themselves first before being assigned them. I was also envisioning them to be very assault oriented, so much so that even the tactical squads would have a tendency to act as an assault squads as well. And I felt that the Doom Eagles would be heavily mechanized, so any squad that was not equipped with Jump packs would be in a vehicle of some kind.

So my 1500 pt army might look something like this;

My HQ would be a chaplin.

I would have 2 tactical squads (5 troops each), with most of the troops caring bolt pistols and close combat weapons and one with a melta gun. They would both be mounted in a Razorbacks with heavy bolters.

1 Elite Assault squad (10 troops) carrying bolt pistols and plasma pistols and close combat weapons.

2 Assault squads (10 troops each) equipped as above.

1 squad of Tornado land speeders (3 speeders with heavy bolters and assault cannons).

and 1 Predator Destructor.

The major flaw to this force is there is not a lot of anti armor units, and I will be relying on the land speeders and the Predator to do most of the work. I didn't go into full detail as to the units because I just wanted to give a general feel of what I was thinking. Any thoughts are welcome.

"We are already dead, we fight for the emperor to regain our lives."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Sounds good, as you said anti-armour is a problem, maybe make the predator the annihalator version or if you really want to keep the fire off your troops a land raider (very risky and tactically questionable).

I would make sure the chaplin has enough gear so he hangs around as he is part of your main assault force.

Great idea,hope it works out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. A few suggestions if I may be so bold.
    1. Make the assualt squads all elite. This allows you to split the landspeeders into seperate and more survivable sqaudrons.
    2. Drop one of the assualt squads to pay for some more anti-tank firepower. I doubt that you will notice a difference in the striking power of 2 squads as opposed to 3 especialy if they both have furious charge.
    3. Convert the predator into a preadator annihlator
    4. Either get another predator or if you feel your fluff will allow it one 8 man 4 missle launcher dev squad.
    5. If armour is still a problem give the razorbacks lascannons
    6. Have fun with your new army
    Jeremy
    A rules lawyer is someone who says that money changhers are ok in church becuase jesus only threw them out of the temple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now force list

Now = New

I did some retooling, to my 1500pt. Doom Eagle army. I think a have added some formidable Anti-armor to my force list, see what you think. I did keep the 3 Assault squads, and you may be right about the difference of 2 or 3 squads but I think it is in keeping with the fluff. Anywho...

1 Reclusiarch with jump pack, which will be attached to one of the assault squads. (122pts)

2 tactical Squads 5 troopers each, with bolt pistols and close combat weapons and one trooper each squad is equipped with a melta gun. These squads are mounted in a Razorback with las cannon, heavy armor, and smoke launchers (188pts each)

2 Elite Assault squads 9 troopers strong each squad is equipped with two of which have plasma pistols (235pts each)

1 Assault squads with 8 troopers and the squad is also equipped with 2 plasma pistols (181pts)

1 Land speeder Tornado squadron 1 units strong with heavy bolters and Assault cannons. (80pts) (I am going to have to experiment with these as I have never used them before.)

1 Devastator squad 6 troopers strong with 4 missile launchers and mounted in a Razorback with las cannons, smoke launcher, heavy armor. (268pts)

Many of the choices where made based on several factors, one was fluff, point cost and trying to get the best "bang for the buck", and lastly my main opponent is a Nid player that has a interesting mix of larger creatures, and swarm creatures. I feel between the Land speeders and the assault units that the swarm creatures and troopers are going to be manageable. The Tyrant with his guard are going to be the tough ones to handle. I did also come up with a force list that has a land Raider, but I thought I would go with this for now.
    Last edited by Brother_Durrant; February 2nd, 2006 at 22:29.

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

If you're against nids try to change the plasma pistols on the assault marines squadrons for flamers (it works extremly well against horde armies)

No power fists/weapons in the assault squads? It does depend on who you are playing but it does play off to have a furious charge powerfist dug in pretty deep in a 10 man squad of assault marines. (against nids this is not recommended....the broodlord always seem to take out the power weapon first by being base to base.)

your tanks are fragile so don't rely on them for too much for anti-armor fire....better to give a squad of assault marines meltabombs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Another Doom Eagle player? wow..
    Ive been playing DEs for about 8 years now, I think they are great.. I went for different traits though, I love bolters too much to swap them out for ccws.. also i pile on the plasma weaponary to represent them not worrying about their own safety.
    I chose Cleanse and Purify, and No mercy, No Respite.
    As for Termies, I love them too much to not take them, and I have too many of them to justify taking Aspire to Glory, I took Eye to Eye because I'll be filling up my Fast Attack with Assault marines. I also use Rhinos against all advice because I like them fluff-wise. each of my tactical squads is 10 men with 2 plasma guns for maximum rapid fire death... usually lugging around a powerfist wielding sgt to..

My usual list is something like
    Chaplain with jump pack and power fist leading 10 man assault squad (2 plasma pistols, sgt with fist and shield)
    Force Commander with lightning claws and a jump pack leading another 10 man assault squad(2 plasma pistols, sgt with fist and shield)
    2 tactical squads in rhinos with 2 plasma guns and sgt with powerfist(possibly plasma pistol)
    devastators with 4 missle launchers
    Predator with lascannons or vindicator
    if im against hoards i might bring my devastators with h. bolters or my land raider crusader
    And points willing i try to bring some terminators, either standard or assault or both..
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Brother.

Welcome brother Doom Eagle , I know the feeling about having a favorite unit as Assault squads are about my favorite. I seriously considered taking Trust your battle brother instead of take the fight to them because I like bolters too, but I figured that people would be yelling Cheese. So I figured that take the fight to them would be a reasonable compromise. I also like Rhinos and Razorbacks mostly because of fluff, but I think that they are pretty neat too. And I am a huge fan of how Land speeders look and the idea of having 3 squadrons bearing down on someone with 3 assault squads, well it just brings a smile to my face. I do like Terminators and Dreadnoughts but its not often that I field very many of them so I decided that I would sacrifice them with Aspire to glory. If you have pics of your army, I would love to see them as I am still working out how I want mine to look.

One of these days I am going to come up with a chapter that uses No mercy, no respite and Trust your battle-brother. That should make someone run away screaming like a little school girl with her dress over their head:ph34r: . But that is for another topic.
    Thanks for sharing your force list and your thoughts.

Praise be the Emperor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

I have a few pics, but when it comes to my marines i generally just spray silver, paint a few details and get playing.. still i quite like the chaplain.. the pics arent the best quality but oh well..

Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting the pics : )

You know if you did a quick wash on them, that would bring out the details a bit. But for a quick spray paint and adding detail, they are not to bad. And I do like your chaplin, he looks pretty cool. Looking at your force list got me thinking about what traits to go with, and with all the data about the land speeder and their effectiveness I may just go with the alternative traits that I was thinking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I built a few force lists with the Trust your battle brother and no mercy no respite and I wasn't really happy with the out come. So I was thinking about the White scars, and thought I would mess around with the Trust your battle bother and Blessed be the warriors. My thought is that it would be sort of be like the White scars but with jump packs instead of bikes. So let me know what you guys think.

Trust your battle bother
    Blessed be the warriors
    Eye to eye (I know this limits my land speeder options, but that means more jump troops :w00t: )
    Death before dishonor

building a 1500pt army

Now I was thinking about a tooled up Reclusiarch with a jump pack and a teleport homer.

1 Elite Assault squad with tooled up Veteran sergeant also with a Teleport homer.

1 Terminator squad with Assault cannons which is held in reserve (my little nod to omegoku).

2 tactical squads tooled up to play support fire in Razorbacks (I know, I know, but I just cant leave them alone and they make such nice mobile terrain and they blow up so pretty:yes: ).

1 standard assault squad with tooled up Veteran sergeant also with Teleport Homer.

and 1 predator Annihilator tooled up for Anti armor/Anti infantry.

I could throw up the army list that I am playing around with if you like, but I just wanted to throw out the general idea. Basically I would use the tactical squads razorbacks to get my troops where I want them, then try to cut my opponents lanes of fire with them until they blew up. And I was thinking that they might be able to offer my Predator some additional defense. I would try to get my assault squads some place where having a squad of TDA's drop in and say "Hello" with some Assault cannon fire and a little power glove lovin. I have to say that I am happier with this list then the others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast