Drop Pods and Deathwind launchers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Pods and Deathwind launchers

Hey guys, I've got a question relating to deathwind launchers and Drop pods.

While I was building a 1500 point army for SMs, I noticed the Deathwind launchers while I was giving my Dreadnought a drop pod and I started to wonder.

Are Deathwind launchers able to fire every turn after they drop down onto play?
    Are they solo upgrades for a Drop Pod, which I think they are or are they able to be attached to a manned Drop Pod such as a Dreadnought's?
    And finaly, are they really effective? Say, two drop on either side of an enemy squad or swarm and fire just before an assault by your forces?

They seem to be potentialy very powerful aspects of the SM list and I would like to know more about them.

People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can fire with them every turn just like any other weapon. I'm not sure what you mean about solo upgrades. As far as effectiveness goes, I personally think that they aren't worth the points given the low BS of the pod, their short range and the fact that pretty much everyone get a save against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deathwind launchers are an upgrade for a drop pod. Just like a pintle mounted storm bolter. It can be fired every turn. They can be effective against very lightly armoured troops and swarms but thats about it. They also have a very limited range.
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant by solo was if I got the upgrade to a Deathwind, would that take up all the space normaly used for transporting troops? Or would it just replace the Storm bolter and still allow the full carrying capacity of the pod?
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

OT5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought that the deathwind launcher was just an upgrade for the storm bolter on the drop pod. It never mentions anything in the codex about the pod losing its ability to carry troops (to my knowledge), so I would say that you do still get the full caring capacity of the pod. I am not positive on this myself so don’t quote me. :shifty:

Just my thoughts
    "I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and win where I fight."
    ~General George S. Patton

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means for preserving peace."
    ~George Washington

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
    ~General Dougles MacAuther

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you don't lose the troop carrying capacity. I don't see any mention of swapping the storm bolter for the deathwind. I know it says "upgrade" but that is open to interpretation. I always thought it was a straight swap but now am not as sure. Your thoughts?
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrades are add-ons to a vehicle. At least that is how they are descibed for the other transports, etc. The drop pod has no crew just the Machine Spirit, so it can only fire one weapon at a time. Lawyers may argue otherwise, but that is how the Machine Spirit description sounds to me.

+ Reply to Thread