BP+CCW or bolter for drop podders? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BP+CCW or bolter for drop podders?

Well the name is pretty obvious but some explaining should be done.
    Consider a 10-man drop podding tac squad. It's got the good ol' Vet Sgt w/PF+BP and 1 guy carrying a meltagun for some shooting punch, but what about the other 8 marines? Should they have the bolter or should they have the BP+CCW from traits?
    If bolters: then shoot well immediately upon disembarking, but will suffer in CC if gets charged.
    If BP+CCW: then shooting pretty sucks but then the unit can perform pretty well in CC.
    So plz voice ur opinions!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say BP because when you drop pod them they are supposed to be an assault unit. and since bolters deny you an assault the BP will be more worthwhile in they end. Ofcourse you take more casualties the first round you deepstrike and that is why you need to back up these guys.

Use the drop pod to block LOS to the most devastating enemy units, wait one turn and then assault the weakest unit in range or the one that does the most damage in shooting to your army. Don´t expect that marines will hold it out long against other CC units because they aren´t made for them. When playing marines your supposed to weaken them by your bolter fire and then finish it with an assault.

Bolters can be very effective against IG or orks but other than that I would take the Bolt pistol & close combat weapon instead.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

I would say that there isn't an absolute rule on this. It depends on who you are playing against. I normally won't consider drop podding unless I'm trying to get to grips with a shooty army (IG or Tau), for either of these I'm not worried about getting charged, and I'll still win an assault easily with just my trusty bolter. This would allow me to land and rapid fire, then move and assault in the following turn. With the bolt pistol/ccw the firing will be less effective on the turn that you land. You'll have an advantage when you assault, but it is an advantage that you might not really need.

If I were playing something that was more of a threat in close combat (Orks, Tyranids, other Marines, etc). Then I wouldn't drop pod at all probably, and would likely take up a more defensive posture.

Valerian

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

I think bolters are pretty good but BP+CCW is also good hmm. It really all depends on how the rest of your list looks, if you are podding in an assault army then pistiols and CCWs all the way, but if its a little more defensive then bolters are the better weapon.

S_Q
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on in which direction your dropsquad heads to.

Towards the enemy = bp/ccw
    Backwards from the enemy with a chance of ccb = bp/ccw
    Backwards from the enemy with avoiding a ccb = bolter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

In my opinion it depens more on who your playing against or what you are intending the squad to do. If you merely want the squad to tie up a devastator unit then the cc weapons are the way to go.

However if you are playing against light to medium armour and want to destroy them then take the bolters. and remember you can give the squad 3 plasma guns think about what that can do to a Chaos Sm squad 6 plasma shots plus 14 bolter shots can kill more marines than your squad could in 2 rounds of combate. Make your choice but if you want to destroy your enemy not just disrupt him take the bolters and fill the squad out with MOBILE firepower.

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Deek
    In my opinion it depens more on who your playing against or what you are intending the squad to do. If you merely want the squad to tie up a devastator unit then the cc weapons are the way to go.

However if you are playing against light to medium armour and want to destroy them then take the bolters. and remember you can give the squad 3 plasma guns think about what that can do to a Chaos Sm squad 6 plasma shots plus 14 bolter shots can kill more marines than your squad could in 2 rounds of combate. Make your choice but if you want to destroy your enemy not just disrupt him take the bolters and fill the squad out with MOBILE firepower.
    true, rapid fire plasma guns are insane. I tend to drop my men with bolters because basically you're still hitting with S4. Pumping out 20 bolter shots is a nasty attack considering marine BS. It can mow down and troop squadron in no time. (this strategy of bolter drop pod marines are commonly paired with true grit so they have do a bit better in CC if your opponent decides to charge the unit and stop the doubletapping death.

THe close combat route is still valid but you will have a one turn delay of wasting that enemy squad...still have to move and assault....where you might hit at same Initiative and lose some marines to the assault.

It also does rely on your list and what those drop pod squads are meant to do. I use mine as shooty doubletappers since I have 3 assault squads on the field at all times. If you play a mostly mechanized or shooty SM the CC can help stall heavy weapons and such.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

+ Reply to Thread