Ice themed marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Ice themed marines

I had a dream the other night about icy marines. Since then I've been gradually warming to the idea. I've come up with quite a few ideas but they're all too disparate so I've streamlined it into four distinct armies and I'd like you good people to tell me which one you think is coolest and how you would play it for maxiumum tactical effectiveness. So without further ado...

Ice Runners
    Traits: Be swift as the wind and Trust your battle brothers with Aspire to glory
    Primary units: Bikes, speeders, scouts
    Background: Forced to adopt an extremely mobile style of warfare due to the extensive frosty plains of their homeworld. They only use units with easily portable weapons. So no devestators, no terminators, tactical squads would be mounted in rhinos. Perhaps 1 dreadnought and/or 1 predator.

Arctic Foxes
    Traits: Take the fight to them and Blessed be the warriors with Aspire to glory
    Primary units: Assault squads, Tactical squads, scout squads
    Background: A chapter used to fighting with tooth and claw... and without heavy suport. Their style of warfare leans heavily towards close combat and they eschew the use of heavy weapons and tanks. Heavy emphasis on troops. No Devestator squads, no terminators, no tanks. Will probably use 1 venerable dreadnought.

Ice Golems
    Traits: Heed the wisdom of the ancients with We Stand alone
    Primary units: Terminators, Dreadnoughts
    Background: This chapter is expert at both assaulting and defending. Their heavy armour giving them a necron-like feel of a slow dauntless advance. This army is probably the simplest of them all using Terminators and Venerable Dreadnoughts almost exclusively. No no's are scouts, bikes and speeders.

Ice Angels
    Traits: Purity above all and Cleanse and purify with Aspire to glory and We stand alone
    Primary units: Assault squads, Tactical squads, speeders
    Background: This chapter has a strong belief in the purity of its icy homeworld and wishes to share that purity with the rest of the galaxy. When they're away from their homeworld they use a very fleet-based style of warfare with assault squads and land speeders dropping directly from their ships and the tactical squads with 2 special weapons and apothacaries in drop pods. This is the only army out of these four that will use melta guns.

Also I'm still thinking about the colour scheme. Icy blue and white is the obvious one but I'd like something a little less obvious. So.... that's about it, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Xiahou Dun; February 9th, 2006 at 06:44.
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

I like the idea of the Ice Runners, but I has this urge to use something other than the word 'ice', maybe 'Thundra'?

I'd like to see some of your conversions, cloaks for the Scouts and maybe a type of Ski on the from of bikes rather than a wheel?

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned this but the names, like the colours are still in flux. I just thought those up ones up quickly to give people an easy way to refer to each army. So suggestions for better names are also needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

I think that they are all nice ideas. I just had to provide this link though:
    http://www.tsoalr.com/view.php?date=2006-02-02
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, which one do I like the best eh? Uh, this is a personal preference sorta thing but I like the Arctic Fox theme. Their Foxes, what can I say?

First off - modeling the minis would be a simple conversion from the extensive Space Wolves line. With some greenstuff you can really tailor and personalize the foxes, making them somewhat more foxy... More so, with a "white/orange/deep reddish brown theme, the color contrast should be quite stunning. So white armor plates with orange and brown accents (elbows, knees, wrist bands, etc.) possibly trimmed with orange/brown/grey white furs.

If I wasn't working on Space Wolves, I would retool my force with similar traits and many many jump packs and annoying scouts. Although foxes tend to me solitary hunters (versus the wolf pack), I like the hit and run idea and getting right into your foes face with infiltration.

Fox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ps...a quick Merriam Webster on-line search provided some more alternatives to "ice"...

bitter, cool, coolish, freezing, frigid, frosty, glacial, ice-cold, icy, nipping, nippy, numbing, polar, shivery, snappy, wintry, subfreezing, subzero; cutting, keen, penetrating, piercing, sharp; bracing, brisk, crisp, invigorating, rigorous; chilled, cooled, frosted, frozen, iced, refrigerated, unheated

Personally, I like Frost/Frosty and Glacial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxen
    Hmm, which one do I like the best eh? Uh, this is a personal preference sorta thing but I like the Arctic Fox theme. Their Foxes, what can I say?

First off - modeling the minis would be a simple conversion from the extensive Space Wolves line. With some greenstuff you can really tailor and personalize the foxes, making them somewhat more foxy... More so, with a "white/orange/deep reddish brown theme, the color contrast should be quite stunning. So white armor plates with orange and brown accents (elbows, knees, wrist bands, etc.) possibly trimmed with orange/brown/grey white furs.

If I wasn't working on Space Wolves, I would retool my force with similar traits and many many jump packs and annoying scouts. Although foxes tend to me solitary hunters (versus the wolf pack), I like the hit and run idea and getting right into your foes face with infiltration.

Fox
    I've re-thought the traits and I think see but don't be seen instead of blessed be the warriors would be better. Infiltrate the close combat marines along with the scouts at the sacrifice of slightly weaker assault squads. Which fits the theme a bit better.

As for foxes being solitary hunters... Well I doubt they know that anymore in the 41st millennium. They'd probably be little more than a myth, or perhaps like dinosaurs are to us. Just something the chapter admired for its tenacity and decided to emulate.

On a side note...

hehe it's so cute
    Anyway, if I were to do it I'd probably use a mix of space wolf and normal space marines. Make the furs orange or brown, but keep the armour white and grey. Yes, it's sounding good, I'll try making a list for this soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I like the Arctic Foxes idea. Say their homeworld was plagued by heavy storms that caused frequent whiteout conditions, so the Marines learned to fight up close.

Ice Angels also sounds interesting as it's a completely deep strike/drop pod army that still has some variety. Using fresh snow as an emblem of purity is a great metal picture!

Gray colors might be useful; also dark green, maybe? I like the idea of using bright orange for the chest aquila. A neat idea would be to make skis from sprues and put them on the troops' backpacks.

Let us know what you decide!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, that picture of the fox really drives the fear of the Emperor into me!

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxen
    Damn, that picture of the fox really drives the fear of the Emperor into me!
    It would make a scary Chapter Symbol. You only see two black eyes and a black nose with a thin black line for a mouth on white. You wouldn't know if you are looking at his shoulder or his face.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast