Question for modeling command squads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for modeling command squads

I am doing a Space Marines army for the first time and had a question about the shoulder pads in command squads. For normal power armor marines I know you paint/decal the left shoulder with the army symbol and the right shoulder tactical or fast attack or whatever part of army comp they are.

My question is what do you paint/decal the right shoulder of a command squad? The new Command squad sprue comes with several different shoulder pads with name plates, skulls with different symbols, ect. Do most command squads use the same skull symbols for a theme or do they normally just mix them up, or does it not really matter? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member I am the Monkey King's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know they tend to be rather individual, since the marines in a command squad will have had more time to customise their armour than most marines. As far as I understand marine armour markings they get given a suit of power armour when they 'graduate' from teh scout company which is painted to show their company, squad and battlefield role (tactical, dev or assault) and they custoise it over time as they get battle honours and suchlike. If anyone knows I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me, this is mostly conjecture.
    Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.

+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Heres how I see it.

The Marines you find in command squads are veterans, the've more or less earned the right to have thier armor, to an extent, to look like they want.

Its something similar with Grey Knights, Normal Grey Knights only have SQuad Heraldery, but justicars and Grey Knight Terminators can bear thier own personnal heraldery.

Course, I'm no expert either!

Mike

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Well, i normally put all my markings on 1 shoulder pad, although i pick the left arm side noramlly, because if the model is pointing his bolter at you, then you see the mark, however it a command sqauad, usualy they have bolt pistols and CCWs, so there isnt really a natural side to show off, but for army continutity, i put it on the left arm of the model.

However, for HQ, i do whatever looks the coolest. Hes been around so long, that hes probably run out of places to put all his battle honours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually the chapter symbol goes on the left shoulder so whoever gets pointed at with the bolter knows who is killing him. The squad symbol goes on the right pad so that squadmates and officers can see what squad he belongs to, they probably already know the chapter... Marines without bolters use the same scheme since there's no real reason not to.

The standard symbol for veterans is either a stylized crux terminatus (terminator honours) or (more recently) a skull.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

To answer your question every space marine MUST bear the chapters heraldry each chapter has its specific ways. The veterans will have the mark of a veteral usually the laurels or whatevery those things are modeled on or painted on their helmet. They also usually have something on the other shoulder pad that marks them together but can also have their own heraldry

+ Reply to Thread