Chimera of Pain? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chimera of Pain?

I wonder if a unit like this would do a lot of damage;

-Veteran Squad
    -> Veteran Sergeant with Plasma Pistol
    -> 3 Plasmaguns
    -> Veteran w/ Lasgun
    -> Chimera w/ Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smokes

178 points.

Basically, the enemy doens't know what's inside. Drive it up close to an enemy, launch smokes. Next turn, pivot backwards, move 4-5", and disembark, letting fly 7 plasma shots as well as 3 multilaser shots and 2 lasgun shots (heavy bolter is faced away, can't fire). Would total any given MEQ unit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

That could easily win its points back. Veterans are brilliant when armed with plasma guns, with the chimera providing mobile cover and support it is (IMO) a very good unit.

Its also pretty cheap compared to MEQs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    Basically, the enemy doens't know what's inside. Drive it up close to an enemy, launch smokes. Next turn, pivot backwards, move 4-5", and disembark, letting fly 7 plasma shots as well as 3 multilaser shots and 2 lasgun shots (heavy bolter is faced away, can't fire). Would total any given MEQ unit.
    If you're trying to maximize fire, why not drop the vets before the Chimera even moves? The vets can then move their 6" and be just as close to the enemy, and the chimera can move its 6", and open up with all weapons, including the hull heavy bolter. In addition to the extra shot, you're not providing an easy, back armor shot at the Chimera to the rest of the units in the vicinity; I mean, why give them the easy, free shot at the lowest armor on the tank?

Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueLDR0
    If you're trying to maximize fire, why not drop the vets before the Chimera even moves? The vets can then move their 6" and be just as close to the enemy, and the chimera can move its 6", and open up with all weapons, including the hull heavy bolter. In addition to the extra shot, you're not providing an easy, back armor shot at the Chimera to the rest of the units in the vicinity; I mean, why give them the easy, free shot at the lowest armor on the tank?

Just a thought.
    That's a good idea...I forgot that units can move if they disembark before the vehicle moves.
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

The same unit with four flamers is a tad bit better. Guardsmen have a worse BS than a trained monkey so flamers make sure that you get automatic hits, and it has the same ST as a bolter, which aint too shabby.

I have completely fried a squad of BT's once with four flamers and a LT with a Plasma Pistol. I mean, they can only make so many saves and if you can manage to get 40 hits on a squad of 10, then you'll decimate them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by H0urg1ass
    The same unit with four flamers is a tad bit better. Guardsmen have a worse BS than a trained monkey so flamers make sure that you get automatic hits, and it has the same ST as a bolter, which aint too shabby.

I have completely fried a squad of BT's once with four flamers and a LT with a Plasma Pistol. I mean, they can only make so many saves and if you can manage to get 40 hits on a squad of 10, then you'll decimate them.
    Word to this idea. Vet's are delicate little things, but if they get one good round of firing, either with plasma, flamers, or even melta's if you're close enough, they will make any player crap himself.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I dunno. If the success of the plasmagun thing depends on an opponent "not knowing what's inside," that's a tactic I'm not particularly willing to employ. While it's perfectly acceptable to try and pull a shell game with multiple chimeras, I think it's pretty unsportsmanlike to refuse to tell an opponent what's in a chimera.

In this light, the multiple flamer chimera comes out better in my book, particularly vs. MEq, as even having full knowledge of what's onboard, they're more likely to underestimate the threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pulled a similar stunt last weekend.
    I put a 6 Man Marine Squad in a Razorback with TL-Lascannons and Stormbolter...Sarge w Plasma Pistol, Two Marines with Plasmarifles (Cleanse and Purify...so i can do this hrhr) and Three Bolters.
    I Moved within 12" of an Obliterator squad and disembarked the marines and fired away with all weaps of the Squad and the Razorback. Result Three smoldering piles of obliterator remains...nasty nasty.
    In the last turn the same squad was able to make an ambush on a Chaos Landraider. Lascannon Penetrating Hit on 3 which forced the ChaosTerminators to disembark and become a Perfect target for a 5 shot Plasma volley and 6 Boltershots. Result: one disabled LR, three dead ChaosTerminators...presto.

I tend to say it was a quite successful weekend

l8er

bLACK
    Do not fear the darkness...
    fear that which the darkness conceals !

The Emperors Rangers Space Marine Chapter.

Bugzapp's Bad Boyz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason that I have veterans with lasguns is because of their BS4. Otherwise, I would be flaming.

7 plasma shots, 2/3 hit (2 hits), 5/6 wound (2 wounds), no saves. So at least 2 wounds on some bad rolling. The flamer idea does have credence though, but I would rather take advantage of the Vet's BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Actually, I apologize, I didn't read your post thoroughly so I didn't notice that they were Vets. Vets are definitely better off with Plasma or Melta guns (I prefer Plasma) because of their high BS skill.

However, if you use a regular platoon command squad, then you can take four flamers and an LT with a Plasma Pistol, which is a better choice because of their lower BS.

Nice tactic. It really works well, and plays to the strength of the IG, which is shooting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast