Still Having Trouble with Speed Freaks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still Having Trouble with Speed Freaks

It seems almost impossible to beat my friens speed freak army,
    first of all i cant even shoot at his trucks and before you know it im in hand to hand
    i had 2 russes, a 5 squad platoon, and an armored fist, 2 HB squads and a squad of ratlings.
    My army pretty much did nothing but get cut down in hand to hand,
    Has anyone else encountered speed freaks and if so has anyone foung a good way to beat them besides taking 3 bassilisks?
    My friend even admits how unbalanced speed freaks are in all but the most barren fields of terrain. I have a tournament coming up and i dont want to lose to him again.:sleep:

Any advice would be appreciated,
    -thanx

"Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Commissar_Malevich's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know much but curious, how can you not hit his trucks? That seems unlikely because usually he just has some special ability that reduces damage on the damage chart or you not being able to glance but not unable to hit them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guards general rule against fast CC armies is to sacrifice a couple squads as speed bumps and keep the rest of the army 7" behind them ready to fire. Did you try? or were all your squads not enough spaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

One thing can help is deployment. Take three vet squads, or light infantry doctorine and spread out all over the map. Autocannons in the squads are good for popping Buggies. This will also give you good lines of fire as he will try and move hide is buggies for a turn or two.

Also deepstriking suicide squads with with three Plasma guns are good for popping those transports as well.

The two Basilisk idea is not bad as well if you put them in opposite corners.

Hope that helps.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't take bassilsks instead I would take LRBT because they have max armour in front and the orks BS would make sure that they have to put way to much fire in one tank to make it viable.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer
    One thing can help is deployment. Take three vet squads, or light infantry doctorine and spread out all over the map. Autocannons in the squads are good for popping Buggies. This will also give you good lines of fire as he will try and move hide is buggies for a turn or two.

Also deepstriking suicide squads with with three Plasma guns are good for popping those transports as well.

The two Basilisk idea is not bad as well if you put them in opposite corners.

Hope that helps.
    My ork friend recently discovered speed freeks too, and now I cry every night because of it. :cry:
    But seriously, speed freeks are amazing. Diggum's advice is good: lots of autocannons, and send out infiltrators and deep strikers to distract his horde and slow his advance. And make sure your squads are 7" apart!
    One thing I disagree with is the basalisks, unless the board is really huge. If he's got any brains, all of his outrider nobs are going to have tank busta bombs, which absolutely own 12 av. They are pretty damn good against 14 av too, actually. What I have been leaning to more and more is loads of conscripts, because let's face it, if he gets the roll to go first he's going to be in close combat on the first turn. (unless the no-man's-land is longer than 2 feet, in which case you might get 1 round of shooting first) Also, rough riders are amazing and will own his bikes, or anything else.
    Also, unless the board is really really big I would just not get any tanks at all and get loads of infantry with special weapons, spread them out, and try to absorb his charge into the conscripts while your boys take out the stragglers.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:w00t: my 500th post!
    well this is going out on the limb a bit...
    but did you try beating him in close combat?
    im sure a unit of 50 conscripts(with commisar attached) if it charged into the orks youd probably come out on top....
    first of all youd out number him(since orks can only take 10 orks in a trukk)
    youd strike first(higher intative)
    just swamp him.....take as many infantry as you can....
    forget h weapons and special weapons....
    orks dont have the godly save of the marines....
    a standard guardsmen is 2/3s the cost of a slugga
    a consript is half of that....

just remeber to have a sacrifical squad(normal infanry squad) also remeber to deck your leader ship out(youd dont want sacrifical squad running....)

maybe an some auto-cannon h weapon teams would help...... id say spend as much on autocannons as he spends on trukks....
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many players in my area are 'Spead Freakers' and I agree more or less with the sugetions so far. this is My personal 'Anti-Freak Recipy' in order of action before and during the game.

#1 Chuck the tanks. I know you dont want to but other than bassys the IG's tanks are over-rated anyway. (Even bassys to a degree) Grab as many plain troop platoons as you can, note PLATOONS, not squads. see part 3. Give the oficers cc&pistol for the +1 atack.

#2 throw in as much dificult/impassable terian which grants NO cover/hulldown as you can. (swamps & rivvers are perfect for the job.) also try to avoid anything that blocks LoS

#3 Set up your platoons with the troops squads forming a screen in front of the oficers. 7 inch gap. when the orks get stuck in with the troopers counter charge with the comand squads and any other non inguaged units. The orks will rapidly find them selves in a position that they are not used to. Loseing an asualt.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Thought for the Day: Armylists are a three-edged sword. The list your backstory wants. The list that is optimal. The list of models you actually own.
    And HOW.

(\_/)
    (X.X)
    (><) This is Dead Bunny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MyArmys: Points: W/L/D

Imperial Guard: 2250: In Progress.
    Necron: 500: 2/1/1

Join the Imperium today!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

I have found that the best thing for dealing with the speed freaks, AKA orks in transports, is the imperial guard equivalent. The PIB's in transport, or the armoured fist squads.

I run 2 squads, just because I think they are cool, but the multi-laser chimera can do some damage to those lightly armoured transports. Then, once you get the guys inside tangled or something, your infantry can come out of their tank for the kill.
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    My ork friend recently discovered speed freeks too, and now I cry every night because of it. :cry:
    But seriously, speed freeks are amazing. Diggum's advice is good: lots of autocannons, and send out infiltrators and deep strikers to distract his horde and slow his advance. And make sure your squads are 7" apart!
    One thing I disagree with is the basalisks, unless the board is really huge. If he's got any brains, all of his outrider nobs are going to have tank busta bombs, which absolutely own 12 av. They are pretty damn good against 14 av too, actually. What I have been leaning to more and more is loads of conscripts, because let's face it, if he gets the roll to go first he's going to be in close combat on the first turn. (unless the no-man's-land is longer than 2 feet, in which case you might get 1 round of shooting first) Also, rough riders are amazing and will own his bikes, or anything else.
    Also, unless the board is really really big I would just not get any tanks at all and get loads of infantry with special weapons, spread them out, and try to absorb his charge into the conscripts while your boys take out the stragglers.

thank god, another lover of conscripts.

I usually take 2 packs of 30 or 1 pack of 50, and spread them out in a line to cover my whole deployment zone. Commissars are attached to give them waaaay too much staying power, and like some sort of horrible net I always seem to catch something on the first turn, and tie it up for far too long... most likely bikes, but the last game my 'script line caught my friend's warboss and kept it from doing anything constructive the whole game! By the time the conscript hoard had been whittled away, I had killed his warboss and 2 squads of boys, and was halfway through a 3rd, so they totally made up their points. Behind that line I had my regular guardsmen, and when I felt it necessary, I tossed them into the fray just to prevent the orks from getting out and hurting somebody.

Bikes are a pain, but they die pretty quickly to massed Heavy Bolter fire (last game, an Inquisitor Lord with a retinue of 3 heavy bolter servitors pwned my friend's nob bike squad) and don't forget that in speed freeks the orks getting to check morale against mob size is pretty damaged, so try clever ways to pin them (ie ratlings) or make them fall back (having a russ or hellhound tank shock them, over and over again). Also, wherever possible destroy any defunct vehicles to prevent them having an easy place to mob up to.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

+ Reply to Thread