Tactical Advice for a new WH player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical Advice for a new WH player

Hey guys! I'm going to be asking a lot of questions and throwing out a lot of hypothetical ideas out there so bare with me...

I've been playing mostly IG for a while now and for the past for years inducting an inquisitor every once in a while. I'm thinking of switching over to mostly Sisters now and I'm wondering which units are the most effective in battles against mostly other power armor armies. What I've heard so far is that Sisters are great with the new Rapid Fire rules, so I'll probably want to stock up on them.

Any advice with which units to give what transports to?

Are Arco-Flagellents any good? Penitent engines? the whole Holy-Rage thing has me worried. I don't want my 80 pt unit charging out into the open just to get raked by a devastator or havok squad. Have any of you found a unit that is cheap enough yet fast enough to keep up with penintent engines and arco-flagellents in order to provide cover? Would Seraphim be a good choice?

Any advice on combo's with Acts of Faith and certain units would be appreciated as I'm imagining that those would be really potent in turning the tides of a battle.

One final bit, I've been playing (losing) against veteran player with a Thousand sons army. I'm guessing that the battle sisters should be perfect against these expensive sandbags, but if any of you have any specific advice against this chaos army (or any of the THREE that he has..) I'd love to hear it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hextus
    Hey guys! I'm going to be asking a lot of questions and throwing out a lot of hypothetical ideas out there so bare with me...

I've been playing mostly IG for a while now and for the past for years inducting an inquisitor every once in a while. I'm thinking of switching over to mostly Sisters now and I'm wondering which units are the most effective in battles against mostly other power armor armies. What I've heard so far is that Sisters are great with the new Rapid Fire rules, so I'll probably want to stock up on them.
    16xBattle Sisters with a Veteran carrying the Book of St. Lucius and a bolter is the single most effective 195pt close-range shooting unit in the entire game. At 11pts a pop, the Sisters give you BS4 Bolters, Power Armour, and Diving Guidance. Other armies would kill to have such a unit. And for an extra 25 pts, you can give the Veteran an Eviscerator (Chainfist rules).

Any advice with which units to give what transports to?
    Personally? None of them. Sisters can only have AV11, non-skimming, transports which regularly get blown up by Guass, Tau Pulse Rifles, Heavy Bolters, etc. The reason Eldar and Tau work so well as Mechanised Forces is that their transport vehicles have AV 12 and are Skimmers (and therefore only get glanced when shot and only get hit on 6s in CC) which are 1000x more survivable.

But if you absolutely must have mechanised Sisters, use Fully Mechanised ones. 5+ Rhinos, 3 Exorcists, a Flying Nun (Canoness w/Jump Pack, Cloak of St. Aspira, and either Eviscerator or Blessed Weapon) and a unit os Seraphim. But it'll still lose on the spot to Tau.
    Are Arco-Flagellents any good? Penitent engines? the whole Holy-Rage thing has me worried. I don't want my 80 pt unit charging out into the open just to get raked by a devastator or havok squad. Have any of you found a unit that is cheap enough yet fast enough to keep up with penintent engines and arco-flagellents in order to provide cover? Would Seraphim be a good choice?
    They're good for fun games and are very destructive in CC. Trouble is that in most friendly games (and all Tournament games) they'll get slughtered before reaching CC. They're "fluffy" units, not "effective" ones.

Best way to get Arcos into CC is to take a couple ISTs with Chimmies or Inducted IG Armoured Fist Sqauds with Chimmies, deploy the squad outside of the transport, and use the two (or three) transport vehicles side-by-side as mobile LoS blocking terrain for the Arcos (and Death Cultist Assassins) to hide behind. But even then it's not dead certain that they'll reach CC.
    Any advice on combo's with Acts of Faith and certain units would be appreciated as I'm imagining that those would be really potent in turning the tides of a battle.
    With Large (14+) Battle Sisters Squads, Divine guidance is Gold. You just can't beat making 1 in 6 of your wounding shots AP1 for Marine/Necron/Tau/etc killing. Same trick can also be pulled with flamer-armed Seraphim - and even better, the Seraphim can even re-roll failed wound with the Flamers, thus giving you even more chances of Divine AP1 than with standard Sisters!

With Flying Nuns and Seraphim, Spirit of the Martyr are the flagship Acts. Having a 2+ or 3+ invulnerable save boost their survivability in combat a hundredfold. As long as the Veteran in the Seraphim has an Evis and you keep rolling those 3+es they'll stick around and munch through any enemy unit.

Once a mainline Battle Sisters unit has been reduced to ~7 models, you can SotM/Light of the Emporer those to a) boost survivability and b) guarentee they stay in combat for long enough for help to reach them. Tarpitting even the most vicious and evil of nid/marine/chaos assault squads is perfectly possible with this combo.

The Eviscerator equipped Flying Nun already gives S6 for instakilling T3 and has S6+2D6 armour penetration vs tanks - enough to rip through side/rear armour of anything With Hand of the Emporer, it's S8+2D6, enough to tear through AV14 like butter. Use Hand of the Emporer/Spirit of the Martyr combo for S8 (instakill marines and Tau suits, put the hurt on Tyranid MCs) and a 2+ inv. save to survive said Marine HQ/Nid MC's attacks.
    One final bit, I've been playing (losing) against veteran player with a Thousand sons army. I'm guessing that the battle sisters should be perfect against these expensive sandbags, but if any of you have any specific advice against this chaos army (or any of the THREE that he has..) I'd love to hear it!
    Thousand Sons? Psykers, right?

Defense:

Don't forget that Sisters of Battle are immune to minor psyker powers and have a 5+ "Shield of Faith" which means that only 1 in three of his psychic assaults will ever work on you. One Lord and one Elite Inquis with 2xpenitants, a Psychic Hood and "Hammer of the Witches" will leave him hurting. Power Stakes/Stake Crossbows wound on 2+ with no AS allowed when you shoot/assault Psykers. Excrutiators give you extra VPs for every Psyker killed.

Other than the Inquis: Sister Rapid-fire Marines to death Canoness' can fly aroudn causing mayhem. A Callidus will cause a headache for any/all opponents. Taking an Eversor gives you a 1-shot weapon (the Assassin himself) that will get a first turn charge every times and will take out any given unit (and then die shortly afterwards by retaliatory fire). ISTs provide cheap Plasma fire and sacrificial units (speedbumps and distractions)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Hi, I recently put up an article that covered off this, I would recomend having a look, the author knows what I, erm I mean he is talking about!
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arcos= very funny, godlike in CC, but toasted before. (can be good vs assaulting like khorne or tyranids though). Still i remember a day when a noob chaos player tried to get 6 arcos in cc. Result: they went through a demon prince, 10 marines, an obliterator and 2 termies.

Penitent engine: die fast and you can't really choise how they move. taking one is giving points to your adversary, taking 3+ could be effective in some situations (again good vs cc non shooty army)

Seraphims: one of the best troops in the game. jump pack, powerfull in cc, good vs tank, can disengage, use faith! flammers or inferno pistols will give headheaches to the enemy.

Exorcist: must have, the only long range AT we have, and really efficient.

transport: in my hands effective with flamers sisters and divine guidance. The idea is to rush using cover, disembark at 12ps or less and rapid fire/flame/divine guid a precious enemy unit. Tank shock light troops which are screening.
    Beware, one or two transports are likely to be quickly toasated, works better in numbers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for your advice! I was thinking that if ever saw the need to use arco's putting a squad of armored fist IG in front of them would possibly make a good shield. Your advice all sounds pretty solid and exciting. I can't wait to get in there with the Adeptus Sororitas

+ Reply to Thread