Question about a new chapter... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about a new chapter...

I have my rule books coming so I promise this is the last time I will bug any of you for advice I could probably get from the rules.
    Even if I got the rules I would still probably need the advice of more learned people of the 40K universe.
    My question: In line with the 40K universe, would it be possible to have a 'Christian' or gospel based chapter, maybe even a throw back to the crusaders or the martyrs of the dark ages?
    It may be a litle out there but I would appreciate the feedback.

I'm in a band www.jael.com.au

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

It is a good idea, I even thought about that for a long time however, the reason that the Word Bearers were marked as heretics was becuase of the worshiping practices. The emperor doesn't need space marine priests but super human soldiers. I think it is a cool idea but it would be considered a "chaos" army.

but fi you were to do one it is getting increasingly easier now that the whole gothic look is getting more popular with the space marines. However in my opinion the space marine artwork looks to clean. I remember the good old days when you had to read the picture caption to tell the difference between the chaos and loyal spacemarines.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I'm fairly sure that the word bearers were called heretics because the Emporer told them he needed warriors, not priests, and then the word bearers got pissed off and searched for someone who wanted their worship- the chaos gods. And because they decided to follow the lords of chaos, they were branded heretics. You can have an uber dedicated army as loyalists, but they should expect a few sighs and weird glances from most of the Imperium. Though if they don't follow the Imperial Creed (or something that can be though of as a subsect of the creed), they will be deemedd heretic, though you could still use the SM list...
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Isn't that basically the new Black Templars? Yes you can do so and the traits are there actually to make as if the Emperor's faith is protecting you. Fluff-wise its actually okay as long as they don't look demonic. Having purity seals everywhere sounds like a good Chapter trademark. Just don't glue chaos bitz to your marines.

I agree with Deek......the ornamental stuff on Space marine armor is just as good as the Chaos ones. Looking at helmets is probably best bet.
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I mean is, according to 40k history, did Jesus Christ exist? Is 40K a fictional future of our world?
    If so, could a marine army be devoted to the teachings of Christ and the bible?
    I'm in a band www.jael.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Yes, maybe, but if he did he was conquered by the emperor and is now being worshiped so it seems that he must not have since as a christian I know that god would smite the emperor and bring about the apocalypse before letting every christian be destroyed and converted into a religion worshiping a forein idol.

Anyway you could do this but you would be under the watchful eye of the Inquistion and be looked down upon by other space marine chapters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Chapter is called the Midnight Crusaders. Their Chapter symbol is a cross with a Crescent moon. It has been suggested that I use the Black Templar rules, and go on a 1000 year crusade, but I haven't traveled that far into the fluff to decide that yet.

As a side note, many a SoB has been trod on by by brothers when they have tried to label us "Heretics" Long live the Emperor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Yes, maybe, but if he did he was conquered by the emperor and is now being worshiped so it seems that he must not have since as a christian I know that god would smite the emperor and bring about the apocalypse before letting every christian be destroyed and converted into a religion worshiping a forein idol.
    Actually if your well versed in the emperor's backround its quite possible (in the 40k storyline) that the emperor Was Christ. Fluff wise the emperor has been around pretty much the entirety of human civilization and has taken thousands of guises down the centuries to push humantity in the right directions at the right times. Thus in the 40k storyline many of the greatest men in history were probably in fact the emperor under the guise of a king or scientist or warrior or messiah.

To that extent all marine chapters and indeed the entire imperium is devoted to christ and his teachings. I can understand how if you live as part of a very religious/fundamental community/family this could bring up complications should your community/family find out that you play the game. Your best bet in this situation is to try to help people understand that 40k is very much a fictional reality, and not meant to be a driving force in someone life.

Just saying again that this is all on the basis of the 40k storyline, and I am not in fact trying to make factual statements about our own timeline.
    Last edited by Sabe; February 14th, 2006 at 07:45.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

woa,

guys, Everything the codex and rule books teach you is that space marines are warrior-monks and priests, they worship the emperor, or sanguinis etc etc etc, they are all zealous and pious, they are religion made manifest, You also get chapters following their combat doctrine+codex's perfectly,you get others, like the mortifactors following a newer different, more herectical codexes.
    The commandments of the space marines
    1) thou shalt not put a 'honk if u think im sexy sticker on the sisters rhino
    2)C-3P0 is NOT a necron ambasador
    3) thou shalt not ask a banshee, to karaoke
    4)thou shalt not ask the inquisition to bring down the exterminatus on you ex-wife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    I have my rule books coming so I promise this is the last time I will bug any of you for advice I could probably get from the rules.
    Even if I got the rules I would still probably need the advice of more learned people of the 40K universe.
    My question: In line with the 40K universe, would it be possible to have a 'Christian' or gospel based chapter, maybe even a throw back to the crusaders or the martyrs of the dark ages?
    It may be a litle out there but I would appreciate the feedback.
    It is a good idea, but you may have to be sneaky. I heard that a GD army in UK was disqualified for having 'overt religeous symbolism' or stuff to that effect. It isn't stopping me however. My army has a stylised cross/star as their symbol, and their battle cry is "Behold the Light!". A mate has his with a crusader style symbol, and was calling his troops Bretheren before Codex Black Templars came out.
    Perhaps you could use traits, and just rename them (counts as...) to suit the fluff. 'Uphold the Honour of the Emperor' is easily modified, as is 'Purity above all'. Plenty of others would work nicely.

One thing to consider is that followers of Christ really shouldn't be cleansing and purifying with the bolter and the flamer. But hey, I know the difference between reality and a game, so go ahead. Have your chapter avoiding inspection by the Inquisition as they follow the one true Saviour of Mankind.

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast