daemon hunter allies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

daemon hunter allies

Hey guys,

I play daemon hunters and am allowed to field space marine allies, HOWEVER, if i do i am prohibited from fielding grey knights.

But, a space marine army may field grey knights as allies (i have double checked this with my local games-workshop guys and customer support....go figure)

Soooo, what i am asking is for anyone who has played with daemon hunter allies, is thinking about it or has played someone who does to come forward with every suggestion, coment and advice on playing a space marines army with daemon hunter allies.

Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Daemonhunters' strength is in melee (via Grey Knights), while Marines have some good shooting. My advice is pretty basic after that - take GK for your assault element and SM for the rest.

The problem is that you're limited as to how many units you may use from allies. 0-1 for HQ, Elites, and FA, 0-2 for Troops, and no Heavy Support. I suggest taking a maxed GK unit in the Fast Attack slot and Deepstriking them, along with a good sized (5-8 or so) unit of GK Terminators. If you can afford it, have the GKT unit led by a Grand Master, one of the most frightening melee models in the game (comes with an S6 Force Weapon, among other things!).

Just be warned that using *any* GK will result in Daemons getting bonuses (sweeping advance), as well as allowing *any* opponents, including non-Chaos ones, to use a Greater Daemon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and by sweeping advance he means sustained attack

Listen to the megalo, his advice is good. What kind of points were you looking to spend on these Grey Knight allies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Miril
    and by sweeping advance he means sustained attack
    Thats it, couldn't remember offhand.

Just want to add that there ARE many other ways of doing this, but from your first post I got the impression that you wanted Grey Knights, not just Daemonhunters as a whole. If you want, I can run down some other non-GK stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Yes, i am first and foremost a daemon hunters player and that means a myriad of the ever cool grey knights.

To answer one query, yes i have a unit of 5 terminators led by a grandmaster and i also have a land raider crusader for them if it so tickles my fancy.

To put it short, i needed something that had a lot of long rang firepower (like a devastator squad or various tanks, land speeders etc) and i also wanted a fast attack choice that was just that, fast!!

But, because of the allies rule that disallows grey knights and space marines together in a daemonhunters force i thought that i would make it 'technically' a space marine army (which allows 'cheap'* but good troop choices not available in daemonhunters) whilst still playing down their part and maxing out allied choice restrictions.

I was contemplating witch hunter allies and IG as allies but they are just to, um, human! i.e. low toughness, low strength and they just don't look space marine/grey knighty etc. Technically speaking grey knights are a space marine chapter which is why i am not opposed to fielding tactical squads as they can be painted more or less to look similiar to my grey knights (which look awesome)!!

Pointswise, anything up to the thousands i don't really care as even if i can't find an opponent with that many models i will have the variety to chop and change my army lists to various points values. Not to mention it will look awesome arrayed on my warhammer shelves!

Anyways thats the gist of it,

Regards

*When i say cheap i mean relative to the grey knights. As i wont post actual points values i will just say that GK are 5 points from being double a space marine!

+ Reply to Thread