Is the inferno pistol worth it or not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the inferno pistol worth it or not?

It seems cool, but honestly, has anyone had any success with it? It seems to unpractical with 6' range. And it's too expensive for a "mabe-I'll-get-to-use-this"piece of wargeer.

I've never acctualy used it, so may be all kinds of wrong. Thats what I calling you out now for. Prove me wrong, I want to use it as it is really cool looking and fluffy.
    (
    -Cypher

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner"
    -Ben Franklin

-Guns don't kill people, bullets do.-

-Support your local game store! Don't buy online or from GW stores.-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say it is absolutly worth it, but only on jump troops really. Simply jump within 6', blast it with the inferno and then charge into assault. It just depends on if what you're shooting at you're willing to engage in CC with.

Chan's latest BR with the Nurglites shows an excellent use of the IP, so much so it kept blowing up everything his/her Cannoness was trying to get into CC with.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

I only would use it on a jump pack canoness. ALthough on paper it looks good on seraphim, flamers are better because of DG and the fact that its main purpose... killing armour, can be done with an eviscerator instead.

I rarely use inferno's, ive only used them once on seraphim (wont do that again) and only on my canoness when i have the extra points available.

So basically, only on a canoness, only if u have leftover points
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

They can be good, though I would never give it to a foot slogging unit. My bet would be on a jump pack cannoness as everyone else has mentioned in addition to giving them to a small squad of seraphim. Cheaper to have an evicerator (only slightly) but chances to kill a tank with three inferno shots is far higher than charging into combat unless the tank is not a skimmer and hasn't moved. in larger points games if I wanted an anti-tank seraphim unit I would go shooty instead of combat.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nahh i'm gonna break trend here and say they are crap all across the board cus it the canoness dosn't destroy it or even if she does she's starin down the barrels of probably 3 units unsupported if not jus the tank herself and it is 15 points waay too much maybe if it had a rule where ya get the extra d6 at full range (6") but as it stands it's jus not effective enough to warrent points and the seraphim are a anti-infintry and suffer the same problems as listed above if used as anti-armour
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

There's something to be said for free twin-linking, and a Seraphim hikes the effective 2D6 range up to 15". And you really don't have to lose a flamer template, thanks to the Brazier of Holy fire. It's a compromise worth considering.

My Jumping Cannoness usually doesn't take one, becuase if she pops a tank, she might find herself standing out in the open and very vulnerable to gunfire. She is best tooled to pick on small HQ retinues. Almost every army has a hard little HQ, so that's her assignment.

A BS5 or twin-linked IP has a distinct advantage over the Eviscerator vs targets moving 12", but the Eviscerator is otherwise better, because it actally has longer effecive range, plus it has an anti-personnel role, adding tactical flexibility. (always good)

But the best way to look at it is to consider your Anti-Tank program as a whole.
    A Jump-Packed IP most certainly can give adequate tank threat to a 15" radius.
    I also consider it a much better choice than a static Multi-Melta, or a footslogging Meltagun.

One or two IPs can make a worthwhile contribution to your Anti-Tank program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually run a squad of Seraphim with at least one set. If I have multiple Seraphim squads then one is dedicated to tank hunting and two models get them. I don't think I've ever had a sqaud equipped with them that failed to make its points back in tanks.
    Last edited by lard; February 16th, 2006 at 16:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I have used Inferno Pistols successfully on jump-pack canonesses and in Seraphim squads.

"The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do we have succes with inferno pistols?
    Just ask my last tau players. 2 crisis and a Hammerhead purified.
    My opponents do fear them: so they must be effective enough!

I always field a seraphim squad with infernos, and give one to my canoness. Its worth the cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

In my new effort to assimilate these "is-this-weapon-good" discussions into useful context...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus
    Its worth the cost.
    ... as part of a well thought out Anti-Tank weapon placement pattern.

+ Reply to Thread