Downing Monoliths - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downing Monoliths

I hate monoliths. AV 14 all around and no melta/powerfist/chainfist effects.

Ok, the obvious solutions ...

1) venerable dreadnaught, tankhunters, twin-linked lascannon, and a missile launcher

2) dev squad, tankhunters, and two lascannons

My problem is, these two units don't fit in a "Swift as the Wind" army. My typical anti-tank squads have 1 multi-melta and 2 melta-guns ... is that enough to get the job done? Or do I need to add tankhunters onto this squad?

What about scouts, with melta-bombs and tankhunters?

Sabre

Comfirmed Disciple of Chaos

Rogue Angel: "Meet da Chaos Lord"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

You have a serious problem if you rely on tankhunters as it doesn't work against monoliths.

The only real way to deal with one is pound it until it cracks (but you will need about 5 lascannon shots a turn to even tickle it).

THe short answer is to ignore it, otherwise you will spend all day just stunning it, the best you can really do with little firepower is immobalise it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the scouts, they'll need 6's to hit and penetrate. Tank hunters does nothing against the monolith, so that doesn't help.

With Swift as the Wind, your best bet is masses of melta guns. Every 9 melta shots should get you one penetrate. Only problem is getting in range, but if your entire army is mounted, it really isn't a problem at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

Ignore the thing and go for phase out. Shouldn't be too hard as monoliths, like our own land-raiders, are huge points sinks...
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

That is very much open to arguement. There are some people that say Monoliths are nearly essential for a Necron army to be successful, and those who believe them to be WAAY overpriced.

I'm in between on that one, considering they cost less than a Land Raider, and provide amazing synergy for the entire army, by pulling units out of combat, helping with We'll Be Back rolls, and such. No to mention that they can particle whip things, which is an underused ability, IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The monlith can be the best way to scare your opponent or yourself.

With the ability of the to hold reserve troops it is a doulbe edged sword. You need to put the 2 troop squad min on the board before you can have troops in reserve inside the monolith. Now how to scare your opponent...Drop the monolith square in the middle of where the action is. even better if it is close combat. if done just so you force a break in close combat by breaking unit coherency. Then unload troops that rapid fire into said unit or units. spin the monolith and do it again. next turn teleport them back up out of the line of fire and turn toward the next objective.

with the necrons there is always a downside(thanks GW) not only have the new rules striped the monlith back from being able to move and fire the turrets and use the particle whip all in the same turn, but if you have units in the monolith or in reserve and the monolith goes boom so do your troops. Prepare for phase-out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem is space marines have 1 strength 10 weapon, and it happens to be ordnance, 24", and costs 125 points.

i played a 3 way game with tau and necrons, and the tau took it out turn 1 with railguns. space marines have no such option, all we can do is sink massive points into lascannons which, quite frankly, it exactly what they want.

Dont try to kill it, if you do, you are playing the Necrons game. Make the necrons play your game.
    fear the smurfs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Any space marine player that uses a land raider should agree that the monolith is a deal.
    It is 14 all around has the special armour rule. Plus it has the flux arch and the ability to either use the partical whip or "teleport" troops. It is a bargain and it is a skimmer that can deep strike. It is a deal but like the space marine devastator squad they aren't neccessary to win games.

The best tactic against the monolith work towards phase out and keep a unit in cc with his army so that he has something to teleport instead of using the particle whip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

How you use the lith' from game to game is actually what decides if its worth it or not. I've gotten used to wielding my lith' with pretty crazy efficiency but if you can't seem to get it in the right place at the right time then its going to be a downer for you. Firedrake28 said it pretty good in that its an open argument.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Anneth42
    With the ability of the to hold reserve troops it is a doulbe edged sword. You need to put the 2 troop squad min on the board before you can have troops in reserve inside the monolith. Now how to scare your opponent...Drop the monolith square in the middle of where the action is. even better if it is close combat. if done just so you force a break in close combat by breaking unit coherency. Then unload troops that rapid fire into said unit or units. spin the monolith and do it again. next turn teleport them back up out of the line of fire and turn toward the next objective.

Hope your Necron opponent is dumb enough to do this. Here's what happens when you deepstrike a monolith into the heart of their forces with the hopes of disgorging troops.

1. You put the monolith down.
    2. It deviates ontop of some enemy models--you're okay so far, 'cause it displaces the enemies.
    3. Yhe enemy models get to reposition themselves around your monolith--which means they go in front of your one exit hatch every time.
    4. Your necron warriors are now forced to disembark and all die.
    5. Having wasted a bunch of points on the monolith and a bunch more points on a dead squad of Warriors, it's now the work of a moment for your opponent to kill a few more of your guys and phase you out.
    6. Good game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast