Building new army.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building new army....

So i did a HUGE order for a IG army last year, and it is still mostly in the same box it arrived in. I believe i have assembled about 35 guardsment and 4 tanks....

Baiscally im having a hard time deciding how and what to glue together to make a complete army. I had everything worked out before when i first ordered the army but since then i have lost my organized list.

What i am asking is how many guardsmen with lasguns should i assemble... how many with CS and bolt pistol.... how many with nady launcher or a flamer....

If someone wants to spend some time helping me with this i will be willing to ship u a butt load of extra parts that i wont be using, from tank sprues to guardsmen pieces to heavy weapon sprues.

Here is what i have

80 guardsmen ( 4 boxes )
    2 boxes of heavy weapons
    10 plasma gunners
    4 melta gunenrs
    command box
    2 sergs with plasma/power weapon
    2 sergs with laspistol/power fist
    2 plasma ST
    2 melta ST
    14 storm troopers
    2 ST sergs
    8 ratlings
    2 leman russes
    1 leman demo
    1 bassy
    2 hell hounds
    2 chims

So basically the tanks and ratlings and storm troopers are easy, since well they are what they are.

The main thing i need help with is just how to make a compelte army with proper weapons for my command squads, line squads and also need to fit in some VETS also....

So far i thought basically just make all 80 of the current guardsmen i have into las-gunners and then just buy one more box of them to make the platoon leaders, nady launcher dudes and what not.

opinions or advice?

Also i remember seeing a article that tells u exactly what "extra" parts you need to make full use of the heavy weapon sprues that you get.... so ill know how many guards men i need to make all of em.... anyone know where thats found?

Last edited by hardcastle; February 21st, 2006 at 19:28.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Flamers on guardsmen and guardsmen with CCW and laspistols are a bad idea. The IG are shooty and have poor CC skills so the short range of the flamer is next to useless and CCW and laspistol will deny you the range of the lasgun.

The grenade launcher is a pretty good special weapon and are pretty versatile, give it to a few men from each squad (if you can, I can't remember) and maybe give the rest plasma guns (which may lead to a fair bit of over heating and dead guardsmen).

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really no...

k done some math for it...

Ill want the diversity to have atleast 6 squads of guardsmen.... so take into account 1 special weapon and 1 heavy weapon that leaves 8 lasguns i need per squad

so 8 x 6 = 48.

thats leaves me 32 guardsmen left.

2 platoon leaders = 8 guards men with lasguns ( if i dont have any special weapons )

1 head command unit = i boght the box set so im ok there.

so now im down too 24 guardsmen.

How many EXTRA guardsmen will i need to fulfill the heavy weapons? i want 18 heavy weapons out of there, 6 missle, 6 lasc, and 6 h.botlers.

lets say it takes 10 guardsmen for it... that leaves me 14 now. say -4 for misc stuff. so that leaves me 10 for VETS.... maybe i dont need to buy another box... and maybe i just answered my own question...

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Melta guns: Only good in a suicide deepstriking squad. If you aren't going to use one, don't bother painting any.

Plasma guns: Excellent weapon. Best used with infiltrating Stormies or paired with a Lascannon, Autocannon or Rocket Launcher in Infantry squads. They are also and excellent weapon in the hands of Veterens.

Grenade Launchers: Not worth it. For a measly 2 points extra, you can upgrade to a plasma gun.

Flamers: The short range of this gun really hurts. Only useful if you want to burn a horde unit that breaks through your lines, but it's a lot easier to shoot them to pieces before they get there and then use three squads to mop them up in assault. Thumbs down on this one to.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

What did you mean by 2 boxes of heavy weapons Hardcastle, cus as far as i know a heavy weapon box gives pieces for either 1 or 3 heavy weps without some serious conversion work.

Also i would definatly advise giving your command squads something other than just las guns... even if you just use the GL's from the box, its still a very versatile wep. (allthough i did notice you bought 10 plasma guns)....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You say 18 heavy weapons counting also those in the infantry squads ?
    Inf. squads HW need just one gunner, no extra. Support\anti-tank squads need two guardsmen for every weapon, so one gunner and one extra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Okay, so you want to break this bunch of stuff down into squads?

80 guardsmen ( 4 boxes )
    2 boxes of heavy weapons
    10 plasma gunners
    4 melta gunenrs
    2 sergs with plasma/power weapon
    2 sergs with laspistol/power fist

Piece of cake.

Build your plastic as:

60 Lasgun Troopers
    6 Grenade Launchers
    13 HW teams (6 Lascannons, 4 HB, 3 ML)

With this you can go either with:

Army HQ [standard, medic + 2 specials]
    Heavy Weapon Platoon
    2 Command Sections [heavy + 2 specials]
    8 Line Squads [heavy + special]

or you can sub GLs into the line squads to free up enough PGs for 2 triple-plasma vet squads.

I agree that GLs aren't the best special weapon, but they have their purpose and you have them on hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry i guess i should of been more clear.

as for the Heavy weapons... i have the ones that came in the battle force box. so thats actually "6" teams as per GW standards but i know with adding in guys i can get 18+ heavy weapon teams out of there.

was shooting for 6 las, 6 miss, 6 h.bolters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Okay, if you're dead-set on 18 heavy weapons teams, start from that end.

2 Heavy weapons boxes = 12 gunners. You need 36 gunners to make 18 teams, which means you're taking 24 from your 80.

So to make your line squads, platoon command squads, and veterans, you've now got 4 JOs, 56 undetermined plastic guardsmen, 10 plasmaguns, and 4 meltaguns.

Assuming you want to put a special and a heavy in each line squad, you've still got to decide how many special and heavy weapons you want to allocate to your veterans and command sections. Then you've got to decide how you want to equip your squad sgts. I'd recommend using 2 of your JOs as sarges for the vet squads and keeping the line sarges with lasguns. Once you know that, you can figure out how many additional specials you need to make.

Basically, make your list before you start building. The reason you're getting advice you don't seem to like is that you've got a list in mind that doesn't seem to jibe with the most effective way to fit these models into an army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to get your 18 heavy weapons would be to do the following:

6 missile launchers: No worries there, just a normal standing guardsman on a normal base holding a missile launcher. I have done a number of these myself, as Im sure have lots of other guardsmen. The 'ammo guy' only has to be a basic lasgun toting guardsmen.

6 Lascannons: Use these as is, crouching guardsmen with gunner arms, big base etc.. Lascannons are a little big to really offer conversion opportunities. Again, use standing or crouching legs, whatever you prefer for your spotters.

6 Heavy Bolters: There are 3 main ways you can achieve standing heavy bolters that will not only look great, but help to make your army stand out.
    i. Schwarzeneggar style: My personal favourite and what I did for my hardened vets. Use flamer arms to attach, will require some precise planning and cutting. Autocannon canister handles provide a means for attaching the left arm to the bolter. Additionally with more cutting, two autocannon canisters glued together can give this version a canister style magazine for that extra cool look.
    ii. On the mortar bipod: You might need to buy some bigger bases for this, but again, flamer arms are the way to go. This version still allows the use of standard ammo feed.
    iii. On sandbags: Basically same as ii, requiring almost no conversion apart from the arms to attach.

For your vets, backpacks are one way to make them stand out a little from normal guardsmen. I suggest not putting them on your heavy weapons teams and saving them for your vets. Shortening the barrels on their lasguns can also help set them apart.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast