Speed Bumping - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speed Bumping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed Bumping

Hi all,

I thought I'd pick your brains on the merit of the "speed bump" strategy when used by Imperial Guard armies. Many people advocate it, and I can see the value of slowing advancing menaces before they hit your main lines. However, with the tendency for guard squads to die very quickly in CC, plus the fact that you are granting the enemy an extra 6" move towards your lines (12" with beasts, dang hormagaunts) in the assault, and the ensuing combat then blocks line of sight, is it such an advisable tactic?

To those who use it, how do you set it up, do you charge your speed bumping unit first, and what units do you use?

Cheers
    Aethelred

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Hey Aethelred, personally i am not a user of the aforementioned tactic as i tend to value the live of my poor, virtually defenceless guardsmen, (i generally prefer a good old rapid fire). But i can see the merit of the speed bump in certain situation, e.g. throwing consripts at the enemy to stop them reaching an objective in the final turns of the game.

I tend towards speed bumping only as a last resort, but thats just my opinion, hope that helped..

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem with speedbumping is that to do so well, you need to use infiltrators. The guard don't have any really resiliant infiltrating squads, unless you give them cameleoline, but that's 2 doctrines right there and a good chunk of extra points going to be spent on a squad who exists to die. You could use the vets, but using vets like that is like sharpening the edges of your TV and throwing it like a ninja star.

If you want to speed bump, the best way to do it in a guard army is to use Kroot mercs as allies, because they're cheap, infiltrate, are pretty tough (the +1 to their cover save is nice, and the fact that a squad can consist of up to 20, with the shaper having 3 wounds is delicious). Just infiltrate them into cover, and laugh as your foe's non-frag using army is slaughtered in the first round of close combat. Also, the kroot rifle isn't bad either, and if you get to rapid fire them... the rifles are strong enough and the kroot are plenty enough that they'll drop even some pretty tough foes.

If you took 1 maxed out squad of kroot, with the shaper carrying a power weapon and melta bomb (you never know when you're going to get tank shocked,) is 200 some points, if you are looking to use a speed bump in a large scale game I'd say that is the way to go.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The speedbumping main concept is that your speedbump squad must die the same turn it is charged and two or more squads are waiting 6-7" behind it. If they die the same turn they are charged, the enemy will consolidate only a few inches, then your squads, maxed on special or heavy weapons, will rapid fire them and hopefully kill enough.
    If the speedbump survives the charge the tactic fails, cause the cc will block line of sight, enemy will win the combat in your turn, then charge another unit in his following turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann Morr
    The speedbumping main concept is that your speedbump squad must die the same turn it is charged and two or more squads are waiting 6-7" behind it. If they die the same turn they are charged, the enemy will consolidate only a few inches, then your squads, maxed on special or heavy weapons, will rapid fire them and hopefully kill enough.
    If the speedbump survives the charge the tactic fails, cause the cc will block line of sight, enemy will win the combat in your turn, then charge another unit in his following turn.
    This guy's right. In small games, the "speedbump" tactic only works if your squad gets wiped the turn they are charged.
    A slightly different strategy would be to put a "speedbump" off on a flank, and hope to draw the advancing army's attention away from your lines. You can also try for some nice side-armor shots this way, too. Sentinels and vets are good for this.
    But yeah, I think you'd only really be helping your opponent with the first one... I think the important thing is just to keep your squads out of consolidation range, making your whole army a series of speedbumps...
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one squad gets eaten then I throw my uber rouger riders into the fray.
    "My troops can eat their belts. But my tanks gotta have gas."
    General George S. Patton
    my armies
    "They have a gun called the death arc!They are now my favorite 40k race!"me quoting about the xenarch
    The home page of my army
    http://www.bridesburg.net/anthonain_army/index.htm

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jancz
    one squad gets eaten then I throw my uber rouger riders into the fray.
    see, the only problem with that is that rough riders, while absolutely great, are are a one time use item. Their first charge, magnificent. After that, you've got guardsmen with pistols and a speed boost (and maybe melta bombs if you equipped them as such) At most, you can have 3 such squads, which won't do much for you when World Eats get to your lines. The Rough Riders are great, especially to speed bump, but against a dedicated close combat army you may run into trouble.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

+ Reply to Thread