Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Im looking over the different codex's for Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars and Space wolves. These are supposed to be the Chapters that stick out from the normal Space Marine armies. Looking at all their special abilities and units, I am looking at what makes them “POP” out in comparison to the Trait Marines. Now mind you I am not looking at what special things are “effective”, just looking at what separates these armies from Trait Marine Armies.
Space Wolves get:
Wolf Scouts with OBEL, True Grit Troop Choice, Dread for HQ, Berserker Blood Claws, Leman Russ Exterminator
Blood Angels get:
Death Company, Furiso Dreadnought, Black Rage, Sang. Priests, Baal Predator
Black Templars get:
Emperor’s Champion, Righteous Zeal, Land Raider Crusaders (not 0-1), Sword Brethren, Cenobites
Then you have Dark Angels. For the life of me I seem to be missing their “POP” as it were. The only thing I can find is Stubborn and Ravenwing. Of which don’t’ really scream IM special. Is it me or do Dark Angels really look no different then regular Space Marines just established Fluff. Trait Marines seem to have more “specialty” to them then Dark Angels.
Now I know they are suppose to be getting an updated Codex, but do you think its possible to give them POP without completely re-writing the whole codex?
Last edited by Cronk-Smash; February 22nd, 2006 at 16:39.
We get "Intractable" and "Stubborn", making Dark Angels one of the least morale-concerned armies out there.
Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks
PC armed Dreads are nice, since they don't suffer from Gets Hot! and the ability to field an all treminator army is rather unique.
Apart from that intractable is pretty nice for a shooty army.
Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.
+++ Osric the Loopy, planetary governor of Corania (appointed 756.M41, removed from office by the Officio Assassinorum 764.M41) +++
Ravenwing = Incredible, Vehicles with invulnerable saves. Cant explain how many times thats saved me. Master of the Ravenwing on speeder = unbelievable when used properlly.
Deathwing. What, all terminator army int enough "pop" for you?
Intractable. DA never worry about falling back from shooting. Makes us a very good shooty chapter as your devs arent going anywhere.
Plasma Cannon dreads are Ok. Nothing to rave about though.
SoS is an incredible weapon.
Our standards, when used properlly can really run the tide of a game.
And of course, we lost the amnazing ability to mix and match our terminator squads, wich was one of the things that made us stick out the most. Rumors are saying well get that back in the new codex. 5 man termie squads w 3 dual lightning claw termies, 2 assault cannon + powerfist termies and free furious charge. Now thats "POP".
Currently were a little light on the special rules if you arent playing Deathwing or Ravenwing though. We are still the best bet for a shooty chapter though due to our intractable and stubborn squads.
Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.
Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:
1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant
2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers
3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC
Some of your points are valid but let me counter with some thoughts and see what you think.
1. Ravenwing. I myself have 3K in Ravenwing and do like them alot (honestly this question came up because I was thinking of stepping off the bike and doing some foot troop Dark Angels). And though the jink save is nice its so small a chance to roll that its not really noticeable. And with the changes the Traits system have done, its a running feeling amongst players that Trait Bike Armies can be better then Ravenwing, so much so we have lost Ravenwing players.
2. Deathwing. All Terminators. Yes it is cool. But also possible in regular trait armies as well, save they have to take 2 scout squads to fill Troop choices and even then infiltrating scouts with Homer beacons help the army not so much hurt it.
3. I tend to agree Plasma Cannon are not that big. But it was something i did miss for our POP category. Thanks MonkeyKing
4. Never really looked at chapters war gears as most chapters have 1 or 2 special things.
5. As for stubborn and Intractible. Yes they are added rules. But with Battle Rites on Commanders our already high saves, and high Ld status. Running has never really been a HUGE issue with SM, even too shooting. Or maybe I am just really lucky on my Ld check rolls.
Now if we do get the mix and match of Assault and Regular Termies that would help. I am sure Deathwing players would defintely be happy. I guess I was just looking for a squad or vehicle that when set on the table someone could easily say. Your a Dark Angels player no matter what colors or conversions were on it.
When Chaosbyrnn was talking about the save, he was talking about speeders. He (and others like me) use the mximum ammount of speeders possible in games of about 1500 to 1850 points. Their speeders get a 6+ save for FREE. Their tornados cost exactly the same as nilla SM. Secondly, the master's ability to let them re-roll rending is the other deciding factor for Ravenwing. As for bikes, They're not that great, if you want a biker army, definetly go for traits SM, because you can add other support units like devs.Originally Posted by Cronk-SmashYes, but if you pit a traits Termy army against deathwing, deathwing will win because the extra scouts don't really help. The cost is bad for them, so the army is innefective with non-DW.Deathwing. All Terminators. Yes it is cool. But also possible in regular trait armies as well, save they have to take 2 scout squads to fill Troop choices and even then infiltrating scouts with Homer beacons help the army not so much hurt it.
The wow factor about Dark Angel is pretty much Deathwing and Ravenwing plus funky wargear