Light infantry army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Light infantry army

Hi, ive just started my IG army and am going for full infantry with:
    Sharpshooters
    Light Infantry
    Camaleoline
    Special Weopon Squads
    Veterans
    It seems to work well in playtesting, (getting up close and personal quickly with many a special weopan) but i was wondering if anyone with more experience with an army of this variety can give me any advice on tactics and tricks before i fully committ, (allthough i allready have 120 guardsmen, 60 of which are all camo'd up).....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

Some good choices there Crispin, similar to my own in some respects, however - strange as this may sound, I don't think cameleoline fits in with your "few men, up close and personal" tactic. I use cameleoline on my HW squads, because it is a waste of 10 points on any squad that isn't intending to find some terrain and stay in it.

Also, remeber it has to be taken on all eligable units, so this is something not to be taken in an infantry based army, I field an army similar to yours in some respects, in that I get up close with my grenadiers, however, I have a HW element that sits in cover with cameleoline and sharpshooting, and a tank element.

As for your other doctrines, good. Veterans will work with cameleoline nicley if you are keeping them in cover, however, if you intend to push forward, the above applies.

Special weapons squads look nice on paper, but in my opinion, a free command squad or a Grenadier squad will do this better, and will get their SWs cheaper. Also, if you are intending to combine plasmaguns or sniper rifles with sharpshooting - the re-rolls dont apply

The only problem you would have with Grenadiers is that they loose their infiltrate ability when they are taken as troop choices, which seems to be an integral part of your strategy.

Really, I'm not sure how effective you will find bulk special weapons infiltrating, it's a very expensive tactic, and it requires the enemy getting close - but it will certainly be fun! I tend to have success with this mainly because I depend evenly on tanks which are hard to breach, heavy weapons infantry who are often rolling 3+ cover saves, and Grenadiers with special weapons.

Tell us how it works out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

Thanks for the advice, i know waht you mean about the camo, but i enjoy painting it, and the games ive played it has been invaluable in saving my men from bruatal slaughter.

I dont have grenadiers.......

Im thinking of changing special weapon squads to heavy weapon platoons, instead of having heavies as part of my HQ i ahve them seperate but gain a 40pt command squad i can pack with special weapons and send to the front....... Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

oh, i didnt give command squads with more than 1 plasma or flamer sharpshooter
    Last edited by Cripsin; February 22nd, 2006 at 22:02.

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heavy weapons squads would fit really nicely, especially if you plan on moving your rank and file guardsmen a lot, they can be your base of fire.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

I'm thinking of going with mortars and missile launchers, as these best fit the modern world light infantry feel im going for, do you think this will give me enough firepower, or should i invest in lascannons and heavy bolters/autocannons?

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Crispin, I have a very similar list, only I use Storm Troopers instead of Spec. Weap. Squads. I do give my line squads cameoline, b/c you never know when you need them to move or when you need them to sit back and fire. My force is also trying to stay "real-world" light infantry, which is why I have 1 tank ( a basilisk), and most of my firepower comes from slightly tooled up Sentinels and AT Squads attached to my HQ. It's worked nicely for me thus far and the Light Infantry force is one commonly overlooked by friend and foe alike. Nothing strikes fear into enemy players (esp. those pesky Tau) than finding almost an entire Guard army infiltrated into cover, ready to lay down all sorts of havoc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

i tried this for a streach, but found that assault oriented armies (BAs particularly) chewed it up, fast...

i wound up changing over to a carapace/drop troop army for a bit...

and now grenadiers ('cause my IG were practically grenadiers already and it'll allow me more storm troopers...)
    Pictures of the Smigs Army for your amusement....
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b390/Holy_Smigs/

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women"

"JESUS SAVES! the rest of your models each take a wound."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I think you are adding too many pts per Guardsman. Light Infantry + Cameoleline + Sharpshooters, that is 9pts per lasgun! Since you can put Sharpshooters on HW squads only, I would take it, but drop Light Infantry as you already have the excellent Veterans doctrine and your Veterans infiltrate for free!:shifty:

The question to me is Cameoleline?!?:wacko: I love it vs shooty armies but is of less value if you play against CC based armies.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

Ok, thanks for the help guys, some very valid points, im gonna keep the doctrines with the exception of special weopans squads which ill swap for heavy weapon platoons (i allready have three veteran squads so stormtroopers isnt much use), and maybe reserve sharpshooters for heavy weopans (and possibly a melta command squad) but im quite attached to light infantry for the reasons reiterated by Roland Durendal. i can see your point though Diggums Hammer as my infantry are quite pricy, but i can readress shapshooter and light infantry after painting, its only camo that requires commitment (model rep). Does this look any better?

+ Reply to Thread