plasma gun disasters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plasma gun disasters

i was testing out how effective plasma guns are in a small game (around 30 men per side with chimers, sentinels etc). anyway i won with only 11 causalties with the opposing force obiliterated, however 4 of the men who died did so becasue of the plasma guns overheating. this shocked me when i realised that a third of my causalties were essentially accidents so to speak. anyone else got any stories of plasma guns going boom. i might try meltas next time, by the end i was scared of using plasmas becasue the high losses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plasmas never ever overheat for me...:yes:
    It's been a minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

:yes: Imperial Guard are effective because we have cheap, small, weak men...........who carry excellent weapons. Plasma will kill your troops and it will kill enemy troops.........your troops are expendable, theirs are not......take Plasma!:w00t:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I play my brother's guard I take a bunch of plasma, specifically for the reason stated above, if I could kill one terminator while several of my own men overheated I would be fine. I'd be too scared to put them on a veteran sergeant or aspiring champion though, just because I would freak if I lost a seventy point guy to some sorry weapons malfunction. Also, I think pistols are not so good because of the high points but short distance.

The new rapid fire rule for plasmas is rubbish though. So just pop off one shot at 24 and be happy. MEQ killers all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Don't switch all your plasma to melta. The 12 inch range of the melta gun makes it so that you will most likely only be able to shoot with it ONCE per game before that unit gets assaulted (sometimes you may not EVER get to fire it).

Having a few of em here and there isn't bad though. They can add some nice flexibility to your line units, and can REALLY come in handy when you got a dreadnaught knocking on your door.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, perhaps a mix of plasmas and meltas in my hardened vet squad and all meltas in my deep striking storm troopers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

3 Meltas in a special weapon squad combined with light infantry is nice :yes: To bad you can't take plasma in those squads. Probably 'cus of the logic that plasma-dudes never live long, but that doesn't aply to meltas which job is to assault enemy tanks head on :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

One time my son's Uber-Chaplain was about to assault (and wipe out) my HQ. He had a plasma pistol and one wound left. He shoots before assaulting..........you know the rest of the story!:w00t:

If I had enough models, and I almost do, I would have a Plasma Gun in EVERY line squad, whether or not it was with a Lascannon or Heavy Bolter.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Ok, here's a tip when firing multiple plasma shots at once. For instance, lets say that you have a squad that has two or more models firing plasma weapons:

Always fire them one model at a time!

Take the first model and roll both dice. If they both come up 1-2's, yeah, that sucks but you can only lose ONE model. Now lets say you have four rapid firing guardsmen like I have in some of my IG lists. There's a good chance that if you roll all of the shots at the same time, that you will lose every model in the squad to overheats. If you roll them individually, however, then the models that roll two overheats can only cause ONE death.

I not only do this with guardsmen, but I do it with ALL of my armies that use Plasma now. It really helps keep Plasma casualties down to a minimum.

Unfortunately, if you have a lot of Plasma weapons in one squad, then it also slows the game down a bit, but it's worth it in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a 750 point list I took 9 plasma weapons.. Inf Platoon had a JO with Plasma Pistol, 3 Inf squads with plasma rifle, grenadiers with 2 plasmas, hardened vets with 3 plasmas. 7 of them overheated and cooked my guys by about turn 4. I have come to call this incident, the case of the human toasters. Its not a pretty sight let me tell you, but rapid fire is definitely the main culprit. It still hasn't stopped me from taking as much plasma as possible in all my lists as popping marines is important, as is the odd shot against armour 10 in a pinch.

Regarding Hourglasses suggestion, thats a great way of doing things, especially when rolling 6 dice for my vets with rapid fire plasma. Defintely be doing that next time.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast