Master crafted plasma and gets hot rule question. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Master crafted plasma and gets hot rule question.

I'm positive this has been asked in the LO forums before. I did search for the answer a bit, but came up empty handed.

Grimaldus is a chaplain with a master crafted plasma pistol. If Grimaldus rolls a 1 on his toHit roll... Does his master crafted reroll allow him to ignore the gets hot rule for the plasma pistol ? Clearly - if he rolls another 1 on the reroll, he has to make a save vs. a wound. But what about the first go around ?

Thanks in advance.

Look into my eye...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

yep, he gets to re-roll, but it is a bad waste of points
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He gets to reroll, yes - but is the 'gets hot' rule ignored on the initial roll of 1 ?
    Look into my eye...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That first 1 is ignored. Think of what master crafting actually does; it isn't letting the gun fire another shot if you happen to miss, it is allowing you to reroll an unfavorable result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by delkins
    That first 1 is ignored. Think of what master crafting actually does; it isn't letting the gun fire another shot if you happen to miss, it is allowing you to reroll an unfavorable result.
    not true. the it still gets hot, but he can reroll the hit. this is represented by the weapon missfiring, but the master crafting also the hit to carry on.

The same applies to twin linked weapons
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delkins,

Yes - this was my interpretation of the rule also. 'Master Crafted' quite literally means that the weapon would have less of a chance (the reroll of the undesired result) of malfunctioning... because of it's unparalleled manufacturing standard. I've heard some arguments against our position, however. I'm wondering if GW addresses this rule explicitly somewhere ? Perhaps in a chapter approved ?

Thanks.
    Look into my eye...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed you can look at it in the same vein as a twin-linked weapon. You roll your shot; it misses. But you check if it really misses because it fired a double sized blast; note the weapon does not actually fire twice. Did your master crafted weapon get hot and miss? [Assuming you rolled a hit on your reroll] No, not only did it not get hot, it actually hit. What would have caused a regular weapon to overheat and miss was actually prevented by some craftsman somewhere painting a little gold on the side of the weapon (again note that the weapon is not actually firing a second time). Just goes to show you that a little extra paint goes a long way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

I've not come across anything that goes definitively one way or the other. As far as I'm concerned, if you reroll that 1 into something that doesn't cause the pistol to overheat you're fine. The gets hot rule says if you roll a 1 (or some other number) on your to hit roll, you take a wound. Rules also say that if you roll too low on a to hit roll, you miss. I interpret the rule such that the overheating is negated, just like I assume that if you roll a 1 to hit with a regular weapon and then reroll a 6 to hit, you'll hit rather than hit -and- miss. It seems to reflect the fluff behind the rule better than the other interpretation as well. Now, if you're firing the pistol twice and you roll a 2... you're stuck with that since it's not a failure to hit (assuming BS 5.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you re-roll the shot that missed, then the miss no longer counts. It isn't a second shot, it is just improving the odds that your weapon will hit it's target. So if the miss no longer counts, why would the overheat? It isn't about having a second chance, thats twin-linking. Its reducing the odds of missing/overheat. If you re-roll you go with the result on the second die.

IMHO...

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was in a chapter aproved somewhere that stated something along the lines of if a master crafted weapon over heats, it still over heats but may reroll its roll to hit. Seeing as how I can't find that anywhere though, I'm inclined to say that if a master crafted weapon over heats it rerolls and then doesn't over heat ( I'm assuming that the dice gods don't hate you and give you two ones ) Can you imagine it being the other way " Oh my god that hot, but hah hah its got gold paint! *rerolls roll to hit, then to wound* HA stuiped Necron C'tan you are no match for me.... OH MY GOD ITS STILL HOT * slumps over wounded and now missing a hand and a large portion of his armor....
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast