Many or Few? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many or Few?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Many or Few?

Hi all,

I was just wondering how many of you guys play hoard armies and how many elite. Personally i'm starting an all infantry army of fairly elite troops, so i get the best of both worlds but im interested to know how this stacks up to everyone else??

So whats it to be.... The incalcuable hoard, or the band of brothers.... The many or the few??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my army is almost completely elite with 4 stormtrooper squads, 3 hardened vet squads and 1 infantry platoon for back up amongst other units such as heavy weapon squads etc. despite have non elites i never really use them. i say elites all the way! let hoardes be the emperors hammer but let the few elite men be the emperors scalpel to cut away the dead flesh of the empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on points limits, but I tend to use between one to two infantry platoons, backed up by two squads of footslogging grenadiers. I usually only take the one hardened vet squad. Thing as at low points 750-1000 I generally favour mass troops, with maybe a single leman russ, however 1500 or more its 3 tanks all day. It basically amount to my troop compliment being about the same at all points levels, just with the added boom sticks as the tanks are introduced. I do find having the one big infantry platoon a great backbone for an army, providing a strong point for your smaller elite squads to operate around.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

I all for the Horde, the more dice I'm rolling the happier I am.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah horde armies dominate hard.:yes:
    "Crescit in adversis virtus" (Virtue is Born in Hardship)

"Cheese is the cry of the weak"

You are; Empire (truly)
    You are 63% Honorable, 47% Bloodthirsty, 37% Magic-minded, and 85% tactically-oriented!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In IG I prefer the horde armies as the elites (in my humble opinion) are more of a Space Marine kind of thing. I know some people may dissagree with me, but unless I am fielding a special army like Gaunt's Ghosts or an AC, then I'd stick with a horde army. This is simply because it is really what IG are designed for and they really pull it off. Just watch as your opponent goes from scoffing at your lasguns to grumbling at the size of your army to total disbelief when his carnifex dies from only lasguns.

--smguy

Armies:
    Shields of the Emperor SMs (in the making)
    Next:
    Nurgle IG AC/Grenadiers

Remember, give people rep if they help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

horde armies are easier to play in my opinion, particularly against smaller armies as you can just swarm the enemy. however i reckon theres more satisfaction in using an army that requires some thinking to win.. tis why i left the orks.. lol swarming was pretty much their only strategy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I've got a Mordian army going (using the doctrines straight outta the Mordian entry in the codex). At 2000 points, I've got just under 100 models. For my troops choice, I have two infantry platoons, each with a command section and 2 infantry squads. The rest of my army is devoted to elites (ratlings) basilisks, hellhounds, a HIGH number of heavy weapon squads, and a beefed up command staff complete with commissars and psykers.

I initially thought it would be a horde army (and it definitely felt like it when I was painting them), but after seeing a REAL horde guard army (150 or so models at 2000 points), I realize mine is more of a semi-elite army (which is how the Mordians should be!!!). The only problem with my "elite" army, is that every still uses flak jackets (aside from the command staff) and everyone (aside from my commanders) is still just BS 3 (though some are sharpshooters) with lasguns. So while I "enjoy" the somewhat smaller numbers that elite armies are used to, I don't enjoy the superior equipment afforded to elite armies.

This makes for a tactically more difficult army (though I can still sit back and outshoot every other army out there aside from other IG), but then again, I enjoy having to think every now and then during my games.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I tend to switch armylists more often than I change underwear. () I'm currently expanding my number of Chimerae, Sentinels and Kasrkin to field an elite force(I'm sure Diggums will love this list.), but I've played all infantry armies from time to time aswell. It's not has fun as a tank heavy force though.
    Normally I play a Codex: Imperial Guard version of an Armoured Company. Three Russes, Hellhound and as many Chimerae I can pack into the list.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while hoarde armies can over run you just make sure you have enough heavy support to back up your elites. leman russ's and hellhounds are god sends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast