Dark Angels and the Deathwatch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Dark Angels and the Deathwatch

OK, I know the score between the DA and inquisition. However, would it be unreasonably fluff breaking to model (no added rules) a deathwing terminator sergeant as a DA deathwatch terminator (therefore NOT a member of the Inq)? I don't want to use the stats for DW. I just like the shoulder pad . Perhaps a marine who excelled in killing the alien was ordered to hone his skills with the deathwatch and snoop on the inquisition at the same time.
    Any fluff that would justify it would be appreaciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Try the fluff forum.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I don't want a massive page of fluff, just a specific justifiable reason why a deathwing member might serve with the deathwatch, therefore making the model believable. This is a SM specific question, not an Army fluff question. Could anyone just give their opinion?
    WILL J!~

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Will J
    Perhaps a marine who excelled in killing the alien was ordered to hone his skills with the deathwatch and snoop on the inquisition at the same time.
    Always thought a Veteran Sergeant would have been more fitting as he is back in power armour. Otherwise, the reason above sounds good. The DA are not above learning new tricks to defeat a Xenos. I would think they relish it considering their hated for non-humans.

Having a DW member in there by the reason you stated above would be plausible. The only caveat is if the Deathwatch team encounters a Fallen Angel. The DW Terminator would break coherency to go after the Fallen instead of fighting the Xenos. He maybe able to secretly report it back to the Chapter, but it would be unlikely as it would raise the suspicions of the Inquisitors.

Hmmm... thinking about it. I guess the DW would have to disappear his Team if they encounter the Fallen. :ninja: :ninja:

Makes a good fluff story that you can use to back it up. OTherwise, it will have to be an non-Deathwing member in the Deathwatch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Cheers, thats exactly what I wanted. PLus you're right, writing some fluff about a "disappearing" DW squad could be very interesting. Just a question of paint job, would the armour be white, but with the shoulder pad and silver arm, or normal with just the DW shoulder pad?
    WILL J!~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Uhhh no.

DA are famous for not working with other chapters, ever. ESPECIALLY the first comppany, of wich is all deathwing. No DW member, one who knows the secrets of the DA, would ever be allowed to run off with the inquisition or other chapters.

That goes directly against the DA fluff. Hence why I told you to ask in the fluff forum.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn
    Uhhh no.

DA are famous for not working with other chapters, ever.

That goes directly against the DA fluff. Hence why I told you to ask in the fluff forum.
    What part of the fluff exactly? This must be something relatively new.

I know they are very secretive, but they aren't total isolationists and do heed the call to help if it's convenient to them. While I agree that a Deathwing in Deathwatch strikes me as odd. If given a good (unofficial) fluff story to back it up, would be interesting to Will J and be allowed by other players.

That said, I would have the Terminator in the Deathwatch colors with the bone Shoulder pad displaying the winged broken sword.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I thought I read somewhere that they don't answer any calls for help and only hunt the fallen, which leads them to where they are needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Will J
    Perhaps I worded it wrong. I don't want a massive page of fluff, just a specific justifiable reason why a deathwing member might serve with the deathwatch, therefore making the model believable. This is a SM specific question, not an Army fluff question. Could anyone just give their opinion?
    The DA are notorious for not doing as they are told and following their own agenda. I would consider a member of the Deathwing would NOT want to serve with the Deathwatch- the Inner Circle would almost certainly NOT ratify that. I think you need to think what the DA are all about. Deathwatch just isn't their thing, they are there ultimately to hunt the fallen, even to the extent of ignoring orders to do otherwise. And DA do not tolerate allies- fighting with them with extreme reluctance.

Any answers to this question must involve a high degree of fluff- cause fluff is what counts here.

cheers
    Zuriel
    Keeper of the Dark Fortress
    Member of the Inner Circle
    Current armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights (I'd have more if my wife would let me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Perhaps it's because I started with the 2nd Ed Dark Angels fluff, but I'm still left with the question.

What fluff says they can not be assigned to the Deathwatch? (I'm talking Power Armor here. I tned to agree with the arguments )

I don't know where the Deathwatch Terminators fluff is either. I know the Dark Angels pursue the Fallen to a fault, but I thought they are deemed one of the most loyal Chapters out there if not the most. A notion that is saving them from being Excommunicated by the Inquisition.

The Dark Angels still submit their gene-seed for testing. They still send adepts to Mars to become Techmarines. I am under the impression that they do send marines to be members of the Deathwatch. This way they can placate the Inquisitors in the Ordo Xenos from getting suspicious. Learn valuable information that the Chapter can use against Xenos or to a limited degree the Fallen. Would they send a massive number? No, but they would send some if they aren't busy with a current Fallen Hunt.

The Codex mentioned that the Chapter could go for decades without hearing about a Fallen. What do they do during that time?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast