grey knight/dark angels hybrid 1500pts list help needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grey knight/dark angels hybrid 1500pts list help needed

i want to create a mixed army with dark angels space marines and grey knights. i have been looking at the army lists on the space marine threads and have come with a few basic ideas on what to include.

8 man devastator squad with rockets

2 teams of 10 stormtroopers with plasma guns

2 six man squads of tactical marines with plasma cannons and plasma guns

2 land speeder tornadoes with heavy bolters and assualt cannons

so far thats under 1000pts but i want to add some grey knights because of their assault weapons most notably the psycannon. i want to keep the army shooty but still have a potent close combat element, i think purgatation squads are a tad too expensive. guys please help to pimp my army list!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Easy, Terminators!!

Grey knight termies can have a total of 2 psycannons in a squad (though you have to buy eem seperate) and because they carry the psycannon in one hand you wont lose the bonuses for the NFW either.

I noticed that your current list doesn't contain any terminators from the space marines element either and i just can't bare a space marine list (of any variant) that doesn't have terminators in it.

GK Termies are good because they cost almost the same as space marine termies and they carry the NFW to boot.

I wouldn't go with the purgation squads as they do tend to get rather expensive but what you can do (i'm pretty sure) is to use the IST from the daemonhunters codex as daemonhunter troops and include a couple of GK squads as fast attack and deepstrike them.

Also, does the ' >1000' points include a space marine hq or havn't you added in the points for that yet?

If you do choose a GK squad as fast attack maybe you ahould consider a couple of incinerators for them. They are rather nice assault weapons though their inclusion will replace the NFW's for those models.

Hope this has given you idears to 'pimp' your army list,:w00t:

Have fun,

Regards

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Your wishes are at cross purposes. You say you want a shooty army with some psycannons, yet you also say you want your GK's to be potent in CC, and you don't want a Purgation Squad. This means you will have to throw the Psycanonnons into regular GK squads. You can do this but when you take away their storm bolter GK's lose their true grit, one of their best abilities. When you put psycannons in a GK squad you begin to severly limit their CC potential, and on the whole a GK that's not in CC is not worth his points. GK's can be effective shooty, don't get me wrong, its just that a GK that's sitting and shooting is nowhere near worth the points he cost.

GKT's are an option but in my own opinion (many will disagree) GKT's arn't worth it. They cost way too many points and just turn into huge fire magnets on the battlefield.

I would suggest that you forget about the psycannons and use GK's purely for their amazing CC ability and find the shooty elements of your army from the Dark Angels side.
    You could also induct an inquisitor or two with psycannons and have them join the shooty squads of your DA's, though Inquisitor Pyscannons are even more expensive but at least then your not crippling the GK's.

Keep one thing in mind when dealing with GK's: the most effective GK is the plain jane GK, no upgrades, no frills.
    Last edited by Undead Bonzi; February 25th, 2006 at 04:41.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x8)

Don't forget, Normal GKs are very shooty. 2 Shots a trun even if you move? That rocks.

and 100 a turn is even better! (My list has 50 GKs in it)

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Just a quick note that Dark andgels are not allowed to use any allies since the FAQ for the new rules came out. You are going to have to use your dark angels as normal space marines for the list to work. The next thing I would do is drop the storm troopers, If you just replace these guys with GKs you would be almost as shooty against 3+ saves, and much more shooty against 4 and 5+ saves. It also forces more decisions for your charging opponents to make. It really is tough to walk into lots of storm bolter fire, but can you shoot at them when there are multiple marine units firing multiple plasma weapons at you? I think if you use GKs as troops and Plasma marine squads to back them up your opponent needs to either hug cover and get blasted with stormboters as they take an extra turn to advance, or run out in the opened and feel the plasma melt their armor as they try to lessen casualties from the stormbolters...both options suck, and that is why you should give them as the choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in codex daemon hunters it says you can have dark angels as allies, im just going by codexes because thats all i have. reason why i never included normal terminators because in almost every battle report i read they keep getting wacked, if they at least had the power weapon option like the chaos versions do then i wouldnt have to worry about having to get hit first before i could use my powerfists. i chose the stormtroopers because they are cheaper footsloggers than marines and can shoot just as good plus in large numbers they would help a lot against all these lascannon heavy armies i keep seeing. my hq will probabbly be a chaplain with a assault squad or a large tactical squad and if lead by a grey knight hq i most probabbly will settle for a brother captain with a terminator bodyguard. but i definitey want to keep the move,shoot and fight abillitys of the grey knights. thank you for all the help especially captain snowball. any more suggestions or why i should include normal terminators would be most welcome. as for dark angels with no allies...how would that make sense when they allied with their rivals the space wolves in the eye of terror campaign?

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

I believe that the main reason the Dark Angels were allied with the space wolves was because the DA's follow their duty to the emperor before all else, even the hunt for the fallen. Also, both the SW and DA are compliant with each other is because of thier likeness. Da's are the long-range shooty siamese twin of the fierce close combat SW. They both are unpredictable, hard to control, and deadly(sorry all, but Im DA). Maby they were allied up because people were complaining about the over campaining of Ultramarines & BA. I seem to have lost the DA FAQ, so no idea about the rules, but if you ask polietly, show the daemon codex, and not use the special Fallen related rules, you could definetly play this army.

(Sorry if this is long, but I'm Full supporter of DA's and have been trying to find a spot for my shiney new buddies to sit in my force. If you make this army, please message me with your first battle reports. I need some good reading.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Personally, and this is just me, I'd never use GKs as anything other than Fast Attack unless I was really, really stuck for firepower, and I don't like the idea of giving my GKs anything that takes away their cheesy NFW strength bonus or True Grit. That cheesyness is what scares people into not wanting to place their 60-odd models down against my measly 30. If you're allying GKs with Dark Angels I really don't see the need for bringing the shooty elements of the GKs into play. The Dark Angels are fairly shooty enough, and bearing in mind that the GKs are a CC troop their Storm Bolters provide all the firepower they need; a full squad of SB/ NFW Knights can move, fire 20 shots and still charge. That's sick. The psycannon is a better weapon than the storm bolter in terms of stats and killing power, but to add one into a squad you're losing 1 attack and a NFW bonus, and if your GKs are shooting more than they're assaulting then they're being wasted IMHO.

As for the list I'd say if you're just looking for a single CC element, you could do a lot worse than a squad or two of FAGKs or possibly an FAGK and GKT squad. Don't forget they can Deep Strike no matter what and they're beasts in assault. The only drawback with them is that if they're your only CC unit and they're DSing close to an enemy that has little else to shoot at they'll draw the fire of everything he's got in my experience, because the last thing he's going to want is your termies Consolidating their way through his troops. FAGK squads face similar problems, and unless you use a full ten man squad then they probably won't make it into CC. Bear in mind that a unit can't move or assault on the same turn it Deep Strikes, so for the next enemy turn they're basically sitting ducks unless he's daft enough to charge them himself. To be brutally honest I'd never try to ally GKs with anything unless I was playing 1500pt+ games; as any DH player will attest the Grey Knights are expensive, and finding space to wedge them into a 1000pt DH list is hard enough. I can't imagine the headache I'd give myself trying to wangle an effective GK contingent into another army list. They're definitely worth using and I doubt you'll be disappointed if you decide to chuck a few into your DA list, but at the 1000pt level I'd say they're a bit of an extravagance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just like to say that it is not possible to have GK's and DarkAngels in the same list, unless you have a base list (like guard) and then ally GK's and Dark angels(which is IMO a huge waist of pts). The DH codex states that GK's cannot be in an army that has allied SM. The Dark Angels FAQ says that Dark Angels cannot tke allies.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made man equal."

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Alt+F4
    The DH codex states that GK's cannot be in an army that has allied SM. The Dark Angels FAQ says that Dark Angels cannot tke allies.
    Well, GK CAN be taken in a normal SM list (as long as SM are the base list). SM, however, cannot be taken in a list (DH base) that has GK in it.

Unfortunately, though, DA can't take GK as allies according to the FAQ.

Thus, as said above, the only option is to use your models as regular SM, not as DA.

That being said, if I were to take a single unit of GK for assault, cc, I would go with PAGK teleport attack, 10-man strong with 2 psycannons. The psycannons give you extra punch on the arrival turn since you can't assault, and the increased number of models means more attacks in cc at S6.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast