DW Question: Termies or Dreads - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW Question: Termies or Dreads

Should i take as many terminators as i possibly can, or should i utilise a dread or two(or three)? I believe that while a ven dread with a TLLC and ML and Tank Hunters is good and cheap, a 5-strong squad with 2 cyclones and tank hunters is good too. What do you think?

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made man equal."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take the Termies as if one or two fall you still have the cyclones in the squad to take the thing out. The Dread with the TLLC and ML is only suited for tank hunting and if there is none in an army want are you going to use it for?:yes: ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have both. If you can take both.

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I would go for the dreads. THey are less points and better at tank hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnoughts all the way never leave home without at least one. They rock and are way cooler and way cheaper than terminators. But this just might be me coz i really love dreadnoughts.
    Cheers
    Only the weak tell tales of how strong they are...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More info please

ALT+F4, it would help if you went into a little more detail. For instance are you talking about using this choice as your only Anti Tank in your army, or just fleshing out what you have a little more.
    Next what point restrictions are you facing, whats the point limit, are you talking 1500, 1850, or 2000 lists? Do you go a armor heavy list, or marine heavy? If you favor Armor then a Dred will have a better survival rate, Marine heavy lists that include just one Dred stencil the Dred with a HUGH anti tank target. Where as the Termies are more points they will survive better.
    I like my dred, but he pulls a lot of fire power and very seldom lasts longer than turn 4. Of course all I have for armor is 1 predetor and my Dred so target selection isn't too hard for my foe. When I've used my termies they have all ways served me well. :rolleyes:
    breath, sight, squeeze.

now double tap just for grins

and Another One bite's the dust.

A bolter round for all that oppose the Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes i am talking about using one of the two choices as my armies AT. It is a question about Deathwing (DW), so my only options are dreads, LRs, and Termies. I think i will use terminators over dreads, because i am going to be outnumbered almost all the time, so any points not spent on termies is taking away from the small number i can already field. I was just asking in general, not with a specific point value in mind. Anyway thank you all for your opinions.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made man equal."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

The terminators are more survivable but the dreads are better at tank killing. The terminators are the better tactical choice as they have other uses. The terminators are more expensive and you could have three dreadnoughts for the price of what 2 terminator squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are using them purely for tank hunting, dreads are the better choice.

5 Terminators w/ 2 cyclones and tank hunters comes out to 290 points.

1 Ven. dread with tank hunters equiped with TLLC, ML, Extra armor and smoke, and 1 normal dread with the same equipment comes out to 256.

For 34 fewer points, you get 2 more str 10 rerollable hits against vehicles.

Personally, in my DW armies of 1500 or more, there are always a minimum of 2 dreads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Depends on game size.

To make it as simple as possible at 1000 points or below definately go with termies. They are more survivable and you need as many models as you can fit in a list at that point. If your playing 1500 and up, dreads should definately be considered. They are indeed better at tank hunting with the S10 TL Lascannon.

However, they are easier to deal with then a squad of terminators. You also need to consider what your facing. Remember, you should have quite a few assault cannons in your list already. These work marvelously against AV 10 and 11 and with rending can work in a pinch against AV 12, 13 and 14. Obviously the S10 TL lascannon works better the higher the AV. What you need to ask yourself is, do you need that high strength hit? Your termie squads should pretty much all have TH as FC do them little good with their powerfists. So, after taking into account your S7 assault cannons and S5 storm bolters (DW have nothing to fear from AV10 or AV11 vehicles because of the sheer ammount of firepower they can put out that hurt these) what your taking AT for is a very short list comprised of high armor things that you need to take out at range.

Few armies play with many of these. So few in fact that even at 2500+ a DW army will rarely need more then 2 of the afformentioned dreads. Thats offensively of course. At 2500 you need to keep in mond that your oponent will have plant y of their own AT weapons and will be able to deal with the dreadseasilly enough.

So, my advice is up to 1000 stick with a cyclone squad, it will suffice. 1500 and up add one dread, then one cylcone squad and alternate. The cyclone squad, while not quite as effective having one shot thats one less AP one less strength and not re-rollable will be able to get off far more shots then the dread if both are coming under heavy fire.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast