Need a little advice on wargear choices for my sergeants - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a little advice on wargear choices for my sergeants

So im about to get my sergeants painted, the basic list is made up of 4-5 squads of Karskin using a grenadier list.

I originaly had the idea of going with power sword and plasma pistol for all of the sergeants but im not so sure anymore.

2 of the squads will have transports, either chimera's or valkiries and the others will either infiltrate or deep strike depending on the transport used. The squads will have either a mix of plasma's or melta's depending on the opponent or how i feel like that day hehe.

Im just not sure if the sergeants in the transports mostly are worth spending 15 points of wargear on, im thinking of going with bolt pistols and chainswords.

Feedback would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

If the squad is to sit back and shoot, I wouldn't give them a Vet Sgt, just have two Plasma Guns per squad.

If the squad is going to get up close and personal, I often add a Vet Sgt with Power Weapon, the 5pts is well worth it to pull down one Meq.

If I KNOW that the squad will be usually getting assaulted or assaulting, I will give the Vet Sgt a Power Weapon and Honorifica, with two trooper with Melta Guns.

Cheers!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Personally I hate plasma pistols. They are as expensive as 2 power weapons, but with a tiny range so you're never going to shoot it more than once.
    I agree with diggum, power weapons are a good choice if it's goping to be an assaulty squad, and every army should take advantage of the honorificus in some way. I give it to my rough rider sarge but I guess an assaulty-ST squad sarge would be a good choice too.
    In the ranged ST squads, I would either keep the sarge's lasguns or upgrade it to a bolter, it's only a point and it's very cool.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

power weapons are nice, but if a sgt is getting access to the armory I'd rather give him either a plasma pistol or a storm bolter, because in all honesty storm troopers really don't belong in close combat (their ws, s, and t are all pitiful, and they would shrivel up and die in a heartbeat in close combat, even despite their save). If you envision a lot of close combat, bring Ogryns (if you toss them into a chimera, you could easily have more chimeras prowling the field, ie more of them live to see turn 3), or bring Rough Riders as for their points they simply devour anything that got used to relying on it's armor save (laugh as 11 point models slay a Chosen Terminator Aspiring Champion of Khorne with 40 points of daemonic upgrades) Or just get Grey Knights and deepstrike them in and enjoy the carnage.

However, if none of these options are feasible, the power weapon isn't a bad buy, but chances are the storm trooper squad will be mauled in close combat by any MEQ opponents anyway, and they're too damn expensive to simply toss away trying to fend off marines. Use it as a last resort.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

My Kasarkin Sgts have either Storm Bolter and Power Sword or Plasma Pistool and Power Sword. Three squads with Storm Bolters to one with a Plasma Pistol.

For a handful of points the Stormbolter gives you firepower on the move and 2 S4 shots are much better than no S3 ones. Thier powerswords are a just in case, stabbing a single Marine is cool and when you get 2 with the Sgt... Plus against armies such as Tau in combat with Firewarriors the Powersword can make a big difference.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

+ Reply to Thread