viable tank busting? Also best way to nuke tanks w/dh - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

viable tank busting? Also best way to nuke tanks w/dh

I would like to know the best way to destroy vehicles. The ways I have though of are these:
    Land Raider with 2x twin linked las cannons.
    Dread with twin linked las cannon.
    IST with meltas

My big question which is best? I would also like to know if loading 8 ist in a rino (2 w/melta) is a viable tank busting strategy or am I way off base?
    Thanks in advace for all the help!:w00t:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by puppet prince
    I would like to know the best way to destroy vehicles. The ways I have though of are these:
    IST with meltas

My big question which is best? I would also like to know if loading 8 ist in a rino (2 w/melta) is a viable tank busting strategy or am I way off base?

The problem is, they all have their advantages, only I'd say if you want a real tank H dread, give him a missile launcher as well, the LR usually becomes more usefull only at like 1750+ or something cuz of the points cost, though it might do it's job at lower points but it'll be more tricky, as for the dread, as far as I know twin las+missile is bout the standard tank hunter in the most DH listes and personally I really dispizzzzzzeeeeee the IST's but that's just me. it more a consideration of what's better, from my head I'd say the dread is the cheapest, as the ISt 'LL only come into range with a transport and the LR has my personal plus but it mostly depends on points, and if you're willing to try. It's often just a personal thing, not much of what's trully the best, IMAO.
    'Thou shalt not refer to the Adeptus Soritas as "Bolter Bitches" nor shalt thou go anywhere near our sisters during the time of the "Red Rage," lest thou wishes to be the first human to enter orbit without the aid of a shuttle.'

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

For pure anti-armor, the best buy in the DH army list are dreadnoughts equipped with TLLC/ML. I laid out my reasoning behind this in a recent army list post.

Many people prefer autocannons for their anti-armor, so they take dreads with AC/DCCW. This has the advantage of making the dreads useful for covering advances and extra CC-pounding power as well. (Another minor advantage is the point savings this build has over the long-range build.) The disadvantage is the range is half that of the former dread build, so you will commonly have to move at least once -- taking the chance that the dread will survive that additional round -- before you can bring those AC shots to bear.

Don't ever take a LR. At least, not in a DH army list. If you want a LR for anti-armor, you're better off taking a pair of dreads. And if you're looking for a tough transport that can still take out tanks, the LRC is a much better choice. Just be sure you have at least one, preferably 2 or more, other vehicles -- probably dreadnoughts -- capable of taking out armor when you take a LRC.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

If you want a cheaper option than the IST in a Rhino with Meltas dont forget an Inquisitor with a combi melta and three vet guardsmen with meltas in a rhino. Better chance to bust tanks for around the same cost as the IST squad.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

For AT I like:

Dreads with TLLC and ML. Stay back and shoot.

Imperial Guard Squads with Lascannon/Plasma Gun. Not as accurate, but last a long time (usually).

IST Squads with two Meltas in a Rhino. These are best when used in conjuction with Dreads.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really has been answered too many times. Dreadnoughts work the best, in either form, and ISTs with meltas are also very good. The real disadvantage is that you need to be within 6" to be really effective, which is not a healthy distance from a tank. If it explodes, you might be damaged.

And Land Raiders are just plain bad. They're not points-efficient.

=][=
    A man's at odds to know his mind, for his mind is aught he has to know it with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by puppet prince
    IST with meltas

ISTs in a Rhino works just fine, ask in this forum about tankbusting and 90% of people will tell you to go down that road. Two dreads and a mounted IST squad are all the tankbusting anyone needs, I'd recommend against taking a Land Raider since it costs as much as a Grey Knight squad. Take the GKs instead ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually i go with 2 dreads, one with TLLC and ML and one with AS and ML, usually i find that is sufficient, however i usually also have stormtroopers aswell in small squads with heavy weapons, i usually keep them for leftover bikes, tanks, heavy troops (termies). Knight can be very effective, i was against an IG player who used a few sentinals and didn't expect my knights to cut through them so easily (S6)....also melta bombs on justicar can be a sneaky option if he doesn't know, however you rarely want to get into H2H with a tank. Land Raider: i find CAN earn it's points back, quite easily, however it can also die really early and leave to minus alot of points, not worth it with the other options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i played a crusader at 1000 points, and i owned the cr*p outta the guy!
    Land raider, is nice, but i prefer crusader, go with dreads or infantry platoons from inducted guard, equip them with lascannons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would choose the Dreadnought, for the following reasons.

It is more flexible than the Land Raider, You can configure it for combat, meaning it fulfills more roles on the battlefield.

It is cheaper than a Land Raider, and probably little more costly than a full IST squad, with Meltas. It also can operate at a much longer range tham the IST squad, meaning that you don't expose your tank-hunters to your opponents assault troops.
    I do apologise. My previous signature was positively turd. Let's hope this'll be better.

Aw, crap. I failed.

Cadillus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast