ultramarine traits? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ultramarine traits?

I painted my first army as ultramarines, mainly because I liked the color scheme and I was new to the game. Can ultramarines be given abilities/drawbacks from the "traits" list in the wh40k rulebook, or do I have to paint up a new chapter to do this? If it is allowable, would folks consider it cheesy to have an Ultramarines chapter with traits?
    Thanks in advance,
    C.J.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Ultramarines have no traits, period. They are the standard, vanilla, nothing special other than following the rules Chapter. So if you want traits, you'll need to play a different army other than Ultramarines. Maybe a second founding of them.

However, that doesn't mean you need to repaint your models. With over 1000 Chapters in existence, it's quite likely that colour schemes may be duplicated amongst the Chapters. There is no rule that says "If your Marines are Ultramarines blue, then they must be Ultramarines."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

I agree, I got my first box set of WH40k models and was in such a hurry to paint them (b/c they were so cool!) that I ran to my local hobby store found a jar of ultramarine blue (not GW brand) and used that, before I even read the rules book or codex. Now everyone assumes I'm the Ultramarines though, which is kinda funny. I've taken traits and used them in tourneys with no complaints, just the opponent going "You're Ultramarines?" and having to correct them. On my newer models I'm using ultramarine blue as the base and I'm highlighting with silver instead of white.

Go Blue Space Marines!!!
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Indeed, I would agree with the previous points.

Ultramarines with traits? Never.

But who says your marines have to be Ultramarines? Just repaint your armypads and change the Chapter Symbol, add a highlighting in a different colour if you want...job done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Another option, dpending on how many models you have painted and your feelings on the paint job, is to simply paint a few other squads in another chapter's colors. If you're fielding multiple chapters, people shouldn't automatically assume what you're playing so you can let them know with a minimum of confusion. Clearly half of your army isn't DA with the other half BA (baring multiple FoCs.)

Yet another is to simply leave the things as they are. If you're really fond of the UM chapter symbol, or like your paint job, or something else... drop 'em on the table and just make it clear to your opponent what you're doing. No need to redo a perfectly good paint job.

</Bandwagon>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

your only real issues is ultramearine specific stuff, Marneous Calgar, Tyranic war veterans and honour guard for example, these do not exist in chapters with traits, whiklst arguably they can be used for vets etc, their wargear needs to match
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool--
    I'll leave the paint job and change the shoulder insignia- True Grit here I come!

Also, the blue and gold paintjob is the same color scheme as my alma mater, Notre Dame. I may custom-make some insignia with ND on it (no flames plz anyone who doesnt like ND):wacko:
    I need to come up with a latin chapter name with the same initials as Notre dame, it would be too cheesy to make the legion to directly associated. Any cool ideas? Maybe noctis domini (masters of the night) or something like that.
    C.J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay away form lord of the night, or anything like that as there is a Chaos Legion called "The Night Lords." That is a BIG no-no.
    The Power of the Novels Shall Kill You All!! Muhaha

Ultimate Super Villian Clan; Lurking, Sniper Villian
    Star Wars Clan; Sith Lord
    Imperial Tactics Review; Master of Sanctity
    3500:Marines
    2000: Hordes of Chaos
    1500:Biel-Tan Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

No my fellow battle brother! Do not stray to the way of traits! For they are EVIL. EVIL!

lol.

Stay away form lord of the night, or anything like that as there is a Chaos Legion called "The Night Lords." That is a BIG no-no.
    o.O Why?

Lords/Masters of the Night doesn't mean that they must be chaos. What happens if his fluff bases his chapter on stealth and silent killing? having night in its name would suit that theme.
    Though Noctis Domini does sound better.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Lord of the Night" is the name for either Kurze or an important Night Lord. I can never rember which. Anyway, it seems like a bad idea to mix a Night Lord's name and a similar paint job.:wacko: I would be confused as to what I would be fighting.
    The Power of the Novels Shall Kill You All!! Muhaha

Ultimate Super Villian Clan; Lurking, Sniper Villian
    Star Wars Clan; Sith Lord
    Imperial Tactics Review; Master of Sanctity
    3500:Marines
    2000: Hordes of Chaos
    1500:Biel-Tan Eldar

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast