Librarium Online Forums banner

Aromoured Company Question

744 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Thunderer 
#1 ·
Are there any other rules affecting Armoured companies than are in Chapter Approved 2004? This might belong in the rules section, but since armoured company are bascicly guard, i thought i should ask here. If it does need to be in the rules ssection, could someone let me know, or maybe a mod could move it (i dunno, just a thought)?

#3 ·
it's on the uk games workshop chapter approved site. it is also on the australian games workshop site and probably many others.
the armoured company codex there is free and tournamnet legal (except some places which are stupid :p ..jokin). you do not have access to most of the forge world imperial armour book vehicles. almost all the vehicles used to be available from games workshop through retail or mail order. the last ones to be phased out from retail were: leman russ exterminator and griffon heavy mortar. others by mail order only and now forge world only unless you do some not too difficult conversions.

of course.. regular leman russ are good in armoured company with all the armoured company doctirnes you can use... like anti-tank rounds. make the leman russ into a vanquisher like tank! i use the anti-tank round doctrine on my head quarters tank (leman russ)

THE CODEX:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/ac%2Darmylist/1/

THE VEHICLES YOU HAVE ACCESS TO (minus sentinels which are described in codex)
http://uk.games-workshop.com/chapterapproved/ac%2Dvehicles/1/

#5 ·
if i take a tank ace it's almost always an exterminator! my HQ is almost always one of my custom leaman russ aces with nati-tank rounds. exterminator isn't too bad as a troop choice. especially since it's cheaper than a regular russ. although i own a tankhunter destroyer, i don't think i'd ever put it on the table. the conqueror is iffy to. i will probably get a conqueror turret or do a custom jsut to say i have one.

note on the salamander. if you had a griffon heavy mortar kit and you assembled the gun but didn't glue it in... spare autocannon and some plasticard or the underside rear pice for the basilisk(works really well).. cut a slot in the piece i mentioned and glue the autocannon in. the piece is the width on the open space. if you don't glue the mortar down you now have a vehicle you can switch between salamander and griffon

i think i'm gonna do a thread on imperial guard vehicles.

#8 ·
Actually the on-line rules are semi oficial inthe same way as harlequin rules are, most tourneys will say no, you realyl need to check

They are, however, only a cut down of the full armoured company rules within Imperial Armour I, which has more options such as bane blades, shadow swords and their varriants for the terminally rich

#11 · (Edited)
MiketehFox said:
Also I think if you do a search on the online store you may find the Twin Linked Autocannons that go with the Exterminator which is other wise a normally built Leman Russ.

The Exterminator is also very nasty against troops, make it you commander or tank Ace and you have a very killy tank on your hands!

Mike
the exterminator is great on those bs4 tank aces, especially when you give it heavy bolter sponsoons, a hull mounted heavy bolter, and a pintle mounted heavy stubber, that's a LOT of shots, and with that many shots you're going to hurt something or somebody.

and like a normal guard army, you don't have to use doctrines at all (and presumably have free access to restricted troops?) Some of the doctrines are a bit too pricy to really find much use, but some of them are quite nasty if you can find the right nitch for them. I personally have never had the opporotunity to use that setup, because of the small game scale and my guard like conviction that more of less is better then less of more.

I've got a little bit of experience with small scale armor company, and I was shocked to find that most of the time my russes were being used as big, moving heavy bolter mounts rather then battlecannons (in my normal guard armies they're always shooting with the b-cannon, in the armored company they rarely get to use it!) Actually of the games I've played (all at the 1000 point level, 3 russes, 2 bassies, 1 hellhound) my lone hellhound has always saved my ass and made back WELL more then it's points, because it is literally the last thing they expect to give them trouble... until it's on their flank and you're cakling because you know that broodlords with a retinue of genestealers are quite flammable.

The lesson here is that while God greated the Leman Russ to punish those unworthy of the guard, you should NOT rule out the rest of the tanks out there that aren't named after a certain space wolves primarch. They'll make you proud (and, quite poor too, a hellhound is like $40 or some outrageous price like that :))

#12 ·
in order to use the restricted/rare units of armoured company you have to spend doctrine points. it doesn't work like imperial guard having access to all the normal entires if the player doesn't use doctrines.

#13 ·
I have to admit I was playing with army builder and had an all Leman Russ Exterminator list made with Commander, 2 Aces, and 6 Exterminators for nine total and then was looking at 2 armored fist squads with plasma and lascannon. I figured take all heavy bolters on the command, ace and three tanks and then grab hull lascannon on three to take out heavy army, quite a powerful list with tons of move and shoot.

But I am still sitting here putting together my second Chimera as I'm waiting for my shipment of russ's and other goodies from e-bay...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.