Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
How can i sneak an Assiasain in my IG army? Do i have to by another codex? Which one? Are Assaisan any good? Are the Worth it?
Something I wrote a while ago on how to legally take an assassin. Also breaks down the different assassins and their uses for you.
Last edited by Addoran; March 8th, 2006 at 16:53.
you used to be able to feild assasins normally however now you have to use up one of ur hq's to get an =][= from one of the books then buy the assasin
the allies rule for both hereticus and malleus is 0-1 hq, 0-1 elite, 0-2 troops and 0-1 fast attck, no heavy and all types of assasins are elite so...
before i go 1, probably better off with all guard, 2,you will have to buy one of the 2 ordo books depending on which you like, 3,assasins kick butt but are a do or die unit
"take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly
"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy
"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity
i saw a battle report in white dwarf where they used a assasian vs the elder
its was so cool seeing it and the guard army with it that i think it was one
of the reasons i am now making a guard army of my own
so to find out that the demonhunters have stolen them from us was a bit
sad because with our massive armys we need some characters to stand out!
I can't believe everyone on this page misspelt assassin. :tongue:
Assassin in IG army = not worth it, in my opinion.
It's not that they aren't good, it's that the hoops you have to jump through to field one divert points from the traditional IG strengths. Personally, I'd rather spend 200-300 points on an extra infantry platoon or a couple of tanks, not an assassin.
i wouldnt even think of using an assassin in anything smaller than 1500pt game, its simply not worth it, plus instead of an assassin you could have an additional hardened vet squad with plasma guns and stuff. however they can be usefull for instance for taking out high leadership units and watch the rest of the enemies army brake and run at the sight of IG tanks.
They are VERY much a one trick pony. In fact, other one trick ponies make fun of assassains for being of limited use. I've had some experience with assassains myself, and here's a few general bits of warning
- Use it only in 2000+ point games, in a small game they're completely useless. An assassain needs to hide in numbers and flanks.
- You have to take an Inquisitor Lord and retinue, I know this bites, but he's too damn expensive to simply write off into the assassains' price, so you had better find a nifty role for that guy or else don't even bother (I prefer inquisitor w/ storm bolter and 3 heavy bolter servitors, a nice bit of fire support)
- Assassains each have one anally specific role. Take them outside of that role and you might as well just kiss them goodbye. I've only ever really used the vindicare, so I'll tell you what it is for him: pick off heavy weapons guys. And nothing else. Find the guy carry a heavy bolter, and shoot him in the face. That was the Vindicare's one job, (this works quite well vs. guardsmen I would imagine, because a guard squad is esentially a 10 wound heavy weapon) and use him to do something else, then you're wasting him.
- They all infiltrate and all have a 50/50 invul save. Neither of these are war winning, but do your best to find a clever use for the infiltrate. The save is nice, and you'll probably survive lone shots from a lascannon, but massed fire will get them killed to death right quick. (Yep, killed to death)
- They can be quite useful for psychological warfare, a lot of people hear the term "assassain" and just assume that it's going for their HQ, and that it's tougher then Chuck Norris eating a cinderblock made out of Mr. T (which is pretty tough). In reality, both of these are pretty much not true, only one of them is a character killer, and she could just as easily be used elsewhere.
-They are grotesquely expensive, so don't bring them in unless you think you've got a job for them. A freelancing assassain is a nice way of saying "I hate myself"
"And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
- Rome: Total War
9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points
I find Assassins usefull, but not in all games. In small games an Eversor can be very good as a counter - assault unit (yes all on his own), or you can generally find good infiltating spots at less than 1200pts.
In larger games I like the Callidus. Word in the ear, appears where she wants, Neural Shredder, C'Tan Phase Sword (no Armour or Invulnerable saves). She is very expensive, but can easily make back here points if used well.
Last edited by Diggums Hammer; March 9th, 2006 at 16:41.
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil
thx muxh for the advice