Why should I be SM? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should I be SM?

I like the SM because I can make my own chapter and they seem to be pretty tough.

I've played the RTS and loved the IG more than the SM, though I was much more successful with the SM. I only played the table-top once, and I played nids vs sm.

Why should I choose the SM over any other army (esecially my other choices: tau, IG, and nids).

I'm getting Macragge, just to start out with. After I decide on what army I'll play, I'll probably only have enough cash to build somthing like 500pts.

Any help appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, get the Macragge set anyway, since it has the rulebook and your templates. Gameplay on the table is very different to in the RTS, so have a go at a few armies first if you can. Personally I like marines because they are an elite force, rather than relying on sheer numbers/brawn to play. However, other styles of play are good too. I think my next army will be orks. (Don't shoot me!)

Tau are flavour of the month, so don't be swayed by that. Read a few Codex's, look at some models, go with whatever you will enjoy painting and enjoy the style of play. Hopefully they are the same army!

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, to me it sounds like you shouldn't play space marines bit IG instead.. Go for the army you enjoy the most and learn how to use it instead of taking the army you think is the easiest from the start. I see it like this, if you get an army you like but don't master from the start you will have a more interesting process learning to play that army, which will make it fun for a longer time, fun * time = more for your money. This of course strictly IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

please note, repeat posting is very naughty I know it is slightly different, but even so!

As to your Q, the resoponse is the same as per the one in the IG forum, you need to tell us what you like and we can advise
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt naughty doing it, but I was tired and succumbed to temptation.

I do really like the marine's prowess. I concede that I would feel less vulnerable with a few squads of marines than with twice as many IG.

I like dishing out firepower, but I dont like feeling I have one huge, major flaw, like lack of numbers.

I played a game as Tyranids vs Marines, and when the marines took out my hive tyrant, I was shanked, though I still had a load of gaunts and some other gaunts that moved 24" a turn. I sure if he didnt have two vehicles eating up points and had more squads of marines out, I would have been delt with way before I was able to take out his scout squad and one of this hover-vehicles (I dont know which one. It was a two-seater that moved 24").

One thing keeping me from Tau is lack of close-quaters. I think Marines are better balanced, which I prefer to over-specialization (a reason I dont care for eldar, either).

I bring PANDEMONIUM! Zephyr_the_AzureWind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks
    I felt naughty doing it, but I was tired and succumbed to temptation.

I do really like the marine's prowess. I concede that I would feel less vulnerable with a few squads of marines than with twice as many IG.

I like dishing out firepower, but I dont like feeling I have one huge, major flaw, like lack of numbers.

I played a game as Tyranids vs Marines, and when the marines took out my hive tyrant, I was shanked, though I still had a load of gaunts and some other gaunts that moved 24" a turn. I sure if he didnt have two vehicles eating up points and had more squads of marines out, I would have been delt with way before I was able to take out his scout squad and one of this hover-vehicles (I dont know which one. It was a two-seater that moved 24").

One thing keeping me from Tau is lack of close-quaters. I think Marines are better balanced, which I prefer to over-specialization (a reason I dont care for eldar, either).
    If you want elite forces go with chaos space marines. They tend to be stronger clones of space marines with daemonic abilities and such. And you can tailor them also using the four gods or a chaos legion. (iron warriors for long range bombardment, word bearers for overkill on daemons)
    in the end they'll play very very similiar on the tabletop to SM but will always vary from the next Choas army because of how many different styles you can play them.

they tend to be more interesting in play compared to SM so I plan on starting them next. (thousand sons)
    Raven Claws Space Marine Chapter........2500 points
    Waagh Rotskrag (in building process)

Member of the Fluffmaster Clan

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Personally I like marines because they are an elite force

LMFAO, elite force, thats why Smurfs are the most common army

anyways, smurfs are fun, but they are very common.

just play whatever army suits your style...

tau are high tech shooty, nids are hordes meant for cc, IG outshoot anything else (including tau), smurfs are kinda an all rounder army
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind the smurfs, but if I did SM, I would want to make my own chapter. I would feel like I was missing out on a whole aspect of gameplay had I not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Space Marines are easy to learn, hard to master. That's why they are good for beginners. I started out with Eldar though, that bright summer day soon six years ago... :rolleyes:
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it does not matter how good you are it only matters if you have fun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast