SM Allies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SM Allies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM Allies

I'm still building my DH army. I"ve purchased all of the models I think I will need and am painting them at this point. I'm considering allies. Originally, I thought inducted IG were the way to go, but after making an effort to build a list with inducted IG to take advantage of their high strength low AP tank-busting abilities, I think SM are the better choice. I may be wayyy off here, so before I buy some guard to fill out 2 platoons as follows, I thought I'd share my thoughts and request some insight..

Here's what I"m considering:

2 IG platoons set up as follows:

command section: JO Las Cannon in retinue
    2 squads like this: VS, 7 LG, 1 PG, 1 LC

This unit comes to 267 points.

2 such units are 6 static BS 3 LC's, and a bunch of LG and PG's. I'm might also go with a LehmanRuss with 3 HB's.

Anyhow, it looks like SM can do the job more efficiently. First, the heavy support choices are more extensive. I can take a predator and a dev squad, plus one other pick. And i can fulfill the troop requirement by taking a tactical squad and a scout squad. If I were to max the squad sizes and go with a PF, special, and a heavy weapon whereever they can be taken, both squads would cost about 373 points. I can get a dev squad with 10 marines and 4 ML AND a predator annihilator for very close to the cost of the IG if I were to include the LR's points.

What is the general consensus regarding which is better, purely from an efficiency (non-fluff) perspective?

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are playing Radical right? Becuase you can't take SM allies if you are puritan and use Grey Knights. Personally, I prefer guard to SM.
    Et imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am taking SM Allies and rely on them heavily. I use 2 drop pod squads (which I might replace one for a dev), a LST, LS with MM, Assault squad and an Annihilator. I play radical and all that power armor helps balance out the low toughness stuff runnin around.

helspont

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the IG better because you get a lot of cheap meat-shield around to heavy weapon, whereas the SMs don't. Also, you can get more Heavy weapons for much cheaper.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop pods and sm allies

Bad news regarding your use of pods. SM's allied to a DH force cannot take drop pods. it's in the DH FAQ.

I would do this myself if it were permitted. I figure a podded tactical squad and a large cc scout squad with PF would work out perfectly. then go with a dev squad and a pred for anti-vehicle...

+ Reply to Thread