Space Wolves and PW/PF - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolves and PW/PF

I've been having some trouble deciding on what upgrades to use in my GH and BC packs. Alot of what I have read says that I should use PF (powerfist) in all of them. Wouldn't the BC be better off using PW? I would think that making them wait until I1 would get them killed and not able to attack back as fast. I can understand using them in GH, because they are meant to be a support unit. Any thoughts on this?

Gorbiesidhe
    Commander of the Azure Legion
    Great Wulf of the New Wulfen Order

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, your PF wouldn't be killed off straight away, since there would be a squad full of blood claws to die first. However, a smart opponent may remove models from near the powerfist, meaning there are none near enough to smack. A powersword can cut down some opponents before they get to hit you back, which is good.
    Me, I go for a powerfist for most sergeants because I hate being charged by a dread or wraithlord and not being able to hurt it. (or have one I can't charge.)

RoV
    Beware the Agapanthers!

Codex Astartes: More a guideline than a rule...

Romans 8:38

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

The big advantage of a powerfist is its high strength. It's far easier to kill things with a powerfist than with a powerweapon (especially vehivles). Things such as daemon princes, wraithlords Tyrannid monstrous creatures and dreadnoughts will wipe out entire units if they can't retalliate with a powerfist...
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Well, I'd say, take at least 1 fist.

With the other weapon, I tend to prefer a 2nd fist for BCs and either a fist or a powerweapon for the GHs. The reasoning is that the BCs are prone to get in CC as fast as possible and as they're meant to charge are quite likely able to pick a target.
    GHs in support however are more likely to find themselves in an unwanted CC than BCs (who want CC anyway and are likely to profit from the fist anyway) and as such I like to give them 1 powerweapon to indeed be able to strike before he's killed by a superior opponent (not many, but they are out there).

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a battle just the other day, my SW vs Iron Warriors and my large BC pack has three power weapons and Wolf Guard with pair lighting claws, I can tell you those Oblitorators never had a chance, and the BC just keepet on swinging.
    Lately have I have faced only SM and CM armys so the power weapons have been very effetive.
    If I was deciding to go to a tornament I might get better army balence points if you had all power Weapons then if you had all power fist, but serously power fists are so much better and I am starting to wish I had them now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

PF or PW

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbiesidhe
    I've been having some trouble deciding on what upgrades to use in my GH and BC packs. Alot of what I have read says that I should use PF (powerfist) in all of them. Wouldn't the BC be better off using PW? I would think that making them wait until I1 would get them killed and not able to attack back as fast. I can understand using them in GH, because they are meant to be a support unit. Any thoughts on this?
    Most of the time you can protect your special guys (any marines armed with something extra you paid for) since you get to choose who you remove when assessing casualties for either shooting or close combat. Therefore your PF model will usually still be around to participate in a fight at Initiative 1.

I would definitely take at least one PF in every squad, which gives you the opportunity to destroy any model in the game. Without the PF, your squads will be toast against Dreadnoughts, Wraithlords, etc. With the PF, they'll think twice before charging in.

For my GH packs I take one of each (PW and PF). The PW fights early (at I4) to do a little damage up front, and the PF plays cleanup.

I don't always take BC packs, but when I do I take two PWs and one PF.

Regards,
    Valerian

+ Reply to Thread