Help defeating Eldar with ultramarines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help defeating Eldar with ultramarines

Hi, I've been playing 40k for about five years now and play ultramarines. My brother started Eldar at the same time and I haven't been able to beat him yet. We usually play a 1100 point battle. Below is my army list and his, any tips on how to improve it would be much appreciated. General tips on how best to combat Eldar will be most welcome.

HQ-Space marine captain, power weapon, bolt pistol.

Elites-Terminator squad 1 w'hv.flamer, 3 w' bolters 1 sergeant bdrop pod assault

Dreadnought
    Twin linked lascannon and M. launcher
    Venerable
    drop pod assault

Troops
    Tac squad-4 bolters, 1 meltagun

Tac squad-4 bolters 1 meltagun

Tac squad-4 bolters 1 M.launcher

Tac squad-4 bolters 1 m.launcher

tac squad- 5 bolters

Fast attack
    Land speeder squadron- normal x1

Land speeder squadron- tornado x1

Heavy support- whirlwind

Eldar
    8 storm guardians
    8 dire avengers
    6 rangers
    Falcon
    Fire prism
    8 Fire dragons
    4 dark reapers, 1 exarch

Please help me if you can

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Alot of your tactical Squads are of very limited utility against Eldar. In fact pretty much all of them are.

Lascannon will do alot better than M.L in Tac's and meltaguns footsloging in a UM army....

The Squads are too small to absorb the casulaties from the Falcon, Rangers and Dark Reapers and too lacking in punch to do anything about them.

Plus whats with the one with 5 men? If you want a decent assault unit combine that one with a melta one, drop 2 men and give it your Captain and a Powerfisted Sgt.

On the Captain I strongly recomend you drop him for a chaplain. Much better for the points and with an invulnerable save. If not at least give the Capt a combat shield.

Nothing is going to be in the Falcon, so you have the option to blow away a quite small number of pricey only 4+ save models. I do not know what your Bro hopes to achieve with foot Fire Dragons.

Best at this, a Whirlwind or a Heavy Bolter. LST's are good too.

Fire Prisms are a little worthless, I would advise not Drop Podding the Dreadnought or the Terminators. The Dreadnought can then lay the smack down on the Falcon from turn one. While its doing that the Eldar have almost nothing to touch the Terminators who can be laying down a hail of assault cannon fire, trouncing the little pointy ears.

The best weapon to use on the Avatar is probably an Assault Cannon. Once other threats have been dealt with terminators with 2 Assault Cannon can gun him down easily, as can LST's.

But which parts of his list cause you the biggest problems?
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice

The eldar units that usually give me the most problems are the dark reapers. He places them right at the end of his deployment zone on top of a building and just fires. Nothing has the range to deal with them unless I pick them off one at time with krak missiles or use my dreadnoughts heavy weapons. And my whirlwind can't touch them because they have 3+ svs.

Other than them the falcon gets a touch on the annoying side and the Avatar has his day in the sun every now and then but I've learnt to deal with him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

How does the board look? Much cover or very scarse with cover?
    You should really have some LOS-blockers, so that you can advance somewheree, or buy a rhino, or try drop poding your army...that would take them close enough...
    Blood Angels
    Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Elric101]Thanks for the advice

The eldar units that usually give me the most problems are the dark reapers. He places them right at the end of his deployment zone on top of a building and just fires. Nothing has the range to deal with them unless I pick them off one at time with krak missiles or use my dreadnoughts heavy weapons./QUOTE]

Infiltrators. Use a big squad of scouts with a sarge with power weapon or fist. If you can get even the sarge and a couple of guys into cc, he's neutralised. Using what you have, I would suggest putting a command squad or beefed up tac squad in the drop pod instead of the dread. Drop it near his reapers, come out swinging. You could also ds one or both of the speeders, but don't expect them to live longer than a turn or two.

Concur with advice given by silver wings there, particularly re: tac squads.

Just hope your brother doesn't start hanging around on forums - eldar can be made much more nasty than that. No banshees in serpents, no scorpions, no wraithlord, no vypers with CTM. You've got it easy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The eldar units that usually give me the most problems are the dark reapers. He places them right at the end of his deployment zone on top of a building and just fires. Nothing has the range to deal with them unless I pick them off one at time with krak missiles or use my dreadnoughts heavy weapons./
    I'm pretty sure Dark reapers have 4+ save, so use your whirlwind or deep strike your speeders next to them..

I wouldn't use a drop podding command squad to take care of them.. To be able to reach him you might need to put the squad in front of the pod and that will just make him smile.. However if you're lucky to get close with the pod so you can put your squad behind it and still be able to charge you will take them out, but that expensive squad will spend the rest of the game foot slogging back to where the action is, getting shot to pieces..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Elric101
    And my whirlwind can't touch them because they have 3+ svs.
    Dark Reapers have only a +4 save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

A lot of people forget that.

Okay; nearly all his units have a 4+ armour save. This means heavy bolters. Merge your tactical squads into four 8-man units, since that makes them more durable, replace the meltaguns for heavy bolters and the lascannons for missile launchers. Take the drop pod off the Dreadnought - it's a shooty Dread, so it should stay 48'' away from the enemy at all times - and target the Fire Prism with it.

If possible, drop the Terminators and get more tactical marines. Either that, or find the points for two assault cannons, because the heavy flamer will be useless against Eldar with very few models. Eight assault cannon shots on the turn you arrive will be far more effective.

Perhaps drop the Whirlwind if you need points, or one of the Land Speeders - the normal one, preferably, since you'll need the Tornado to take out the avatar.

Also, does the Falcon have starcannons? (Can a Falcon get starcannons?) Because that can drastically affect your strategy. If any unit in his army has starcannons, you'll have to watch out because chances are twin-linked starcannons will kill at least two of your Terminators with every shot. That's a hundred points gone in one volley.

Do not get the Terminators into close combat with the Avatar. In fact, get nothing in close combat with the Avatar. Shoot the avatar with lascannons and sniper rifles and assault cannons every damn turn.

One of the reasons Fire Prisms are considered useless is because everyone shoots them down first. If you don't shoot it down first, it might become useful. Shoot it down.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always take the whirlwind vs eldar. If you need points, drop almost anything else. My brother is terrified of whirlwinds and won't even disembark from his serpents until he's taken it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

If he's claiming a 3+ save on his Reapers then he is quite seriously cheating. Reapers with thier puny save are easy kills.

Make him follow the rules and you'll be having alot less trouble.

Ignore the Fire Prism mostly, target the Falcon with the Ven Dread and with a lascannon and equivalent S10 TL wepoin you should be glancing him at least enough to reduce its fire on you. Once you've dealt with the Falcon go for the Prism with your heavies.

3 LST's would theoreticaly do 7 wounds per turn on an Avatar, with a poor save he's dead in 1 round! excellant.

@Ze_Poodle,

Yep Falcons can get Starcannon, between that and thier Pulse Laser they can be dishing out 6 ap2 shots a turn. Thank the Emperor they only average 5 shots and have Bs less than Marines.

Thier not twin linked either, only Wave Serpents can do that.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast