IST Tankhunter's Rhino or Chimera? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IST Tankhunter's Rhino or Chimera?

so i was wondering what people think is the more approiate transport for tank hunting IST's (basically IST with two melta)

the question stems from two sub questions

1. can a chimera's two fire points be used for anything other than lasguns or are the lasguns on a chimera seperate and have nothin to do with the fire points of the chimera? i base this question on the old FAQ (the one that said justicars can have pyscannons

as a sub point of this question although one that seems obviuos can a rhinos one fire point be fire out of with a melta?

2. does one want to use fire points? as using them with IST make the vehicle count as open toped for firing

thanks and answers to both the two questions and the general one would be much appricated

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Impact'><u>&quot;Veni Vedi Vici&quot; </u></span></span>

Bob: If you had a dollar for every 60 cents...
    you'd be Canada.

Bill: actually i think its more like 70 cents.

Bob: <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> Tar-nation! You stole my thunder!</span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

If you are using the Chimera out of the DaemonHunter codex, you may fire any weapon out of the two fire points, however you do not have the Lasguns that the men inside can fire. On the other hand if you are using the chimera out the codex imperial guard you may fire one weapon out of the fire point, and all six lasguns if you have enough men inside to shoot them.

It is always confusing when the entries for the same vehicle in two codexes are different, and I don't want to go into which to use, but that should be how both of them work.

onto the second question, I really only use the fire points if I think I can kill what I am shooting at and don't have to worry about getting blow up the next turn. If there is a tank that is really the only viable threat to the rhino I will pop it from the inside, If there is a lot of other things that are going to put my rhino down, I will hop out and use the rhino to cover my troops (which often don't get targeted, because they are blocked by the rhino, and my opponets don't like to waste their shots on empty transports)
    Last edited by nichodemus10; March 28th, 2006 at 07:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I like the Rhino better for tank hunting. When you move 12" (you need to when tank hunting), you can't shoot the Chimera's weapons anyway, and the 11 side armour is much better than the Chimera's 10.

I like Chimeras better for sitting back and shooting with a squad of ISTs with two Plasma Guns.

My two bits....
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally prefer the Chimera, because I generally run a Land Raider next to it. The Chimera's underwhelming side armor doesn't matter much when the LR covers for it. Also, since ISTs focus on close-range shooting, and Grey Knights focus on close combat, it makes for a great one-two punch that can soften up any enemy at short range before obliterating them in the Assault phase. Just remember: SMOKE LAUNCHERS. I lose too many tanks because I carelessly assume that one turn of shooting is worth a one-turn delay in delivering my soldiers to the enemy.

1. I think one of the two fire points refers to the hull lasguns, while the other is the top hatch, from which you can fire any weapon (bearing in mind how movement affects infantry shooting)

2. Well...it depends on circumstance. Moving and using the top hatch to fire a flamer into a group of Termagants, Dark Eldar or other S3 models with no AT special weapon, fine. Moving to close range and firing a meltagun into an enemy Leman Russ' side armor, fine. Firing a plasma gun into a full Space Marine squad with a lascannon, bad. Basically, when the Chimera's AV is capable of protecting the ISTs better than their armor and when the ISTs' hellguns won't be worth much, go for it, but situations like this will probably be pretty rare unless there's plenty of terrain around to break up AT fire.
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For in-your-face tankhunting squads, the Rhino is the better option because it often ends up alone/isolated (yes, ISTs with melta guns are bolter-bait, and are sacrificial) and in this case the side AV11 is very good to have.

For my close-range anti-tank punch, I instead use a junior inquisitor with combi-melta and teleport homer, and 3 warrior henchmen with melta guns. This means that I can move 12" forward, disembark, and pop smoke first turn, making the squad invulnerable to firepower for turn 1. Turn 2 the inquisitor uses his teleport homer to bring in any deep-strikers, and then he moves toward the closest target (tank or heavy infantry) and proceeds to fry it with 4 BS4 melta shots. So far this has worked flawlessly against: land raiders, terminator squads, necron warriors, leman russes, and more. This squad also has a better chance at taking out a monolith than most other available choices (ap1).

Chimeras are preferable as fire-support for squads that will be fulfilling the same role, as previously stated ISTs with plasma guns or inquisitors with gun servitors.

+ Reply to Thread