Stormtroopers w/ DS + flamers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stormtroopers w/ DS + flamers?

Would the following squad be useful/ worth the points?

1 Stormtrooper Sergeant (hellpistol + CCW)
    4 Stormtroopers
    2 flamers
    deep strike for all

this totals at 57pts

the plan would be to drop down and flame a unit in cover (preferably with 5+ armor and low toughness) such as snipers or something. considering the one-use nature of the plan, and the low squad size is it worth it? would having a larger squad (and therefor more hellguns) make it more worthwhile?

AKA MindSnap

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I'd say no, because even with two flamers, you still need to get the enemy squad under half strenght in order to get any victory points, something that might be hard when using such a short range weapon combined with the randomness of deepstrike.

However, using two meltaguns and going after tanks instead is something that I find works rather well. That squad comes ot 75p and the tanks you'll go after will probably cost alot more than that. A meltagun has a longer range than a flamer, but has the ability to go after more expensive targets aswell as having a higher chance of damaging that target enough to earn your victory points. They're also great to send after any hidden indirect fire basilisks, defilers, jump-shoot-jump skimmers and suits.

For even better effect, do this with a 5 man veteran squad and the drop troops doctrine. Same price as the stormtroopers, but you've got one more meltagun and thus increasing your chances to take out that vehicle.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my favourite combo is inquisitorial stormtroopers in a rhino with meltaguns and simply do drive by's on anything that looks good to blow up. its especially good to do against a convoy style formation of vehicles. personally meltaguns are the way to go with the odd plasma gun. im not a fan of deepstriking, too much opportunity for disaster
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know about the meltagun strategy, and may use it. One question I have is: can you move after deepstriking? I forget... the idea seemed so good for killing those damned campers... And if I model it right, I can choose whether it's a flamer or a meltagun... :shifty:

Also, I don't think IG can get a rhino, you must not be playing IG...
    AKA MindSnap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by smallelflaughing
    Would the following squad be useful/ worth the points?

1 Stormtrooper Sergeant (hellpistol + CCW)
    4 Stormtroopers
    2 flamers
    deep strike for all

this totals at 57pts

the plan would be to drop down and flame a unit in cover (preferably with 5+ armor and low toughness) such as snipers or something. considering the one-use nature of the plan, and the low squad size is it worth it? would having a larger squad (and therefor more hellguns) make it more worthwhile?

If you are fighting armies with T3 and 5+ saves, that unit should do fine. (Provided that you don't scatter appallingly when you deep strike.

Which you probably will at least 50% of the time.

I wouldn't make the squad any larger though.

Its a suicide squad.

If it doesn't kill its points value and greater on the turn that it flames, it won't survive long enough to do much else and more bodies thrown after bad would be a waste of points.

Personally I'd take it.

But then I love flamers so I'm biased on the matter.

I know about the meltagun strategy, and may use it. One question I have is: can you move after deepstriking?

NO.

When you deepstrike you cannot move that turn or assault.

In addition you count as having moved for the purposes of firing.

Page 84 of the main rulebook.

Also, I don't think IG can get a rhino, you must not be playing IG...
    He was referring to Inquisitorial Storm Troopers who can be taken by an IG army as either WH or DH allies.
    Last edited by Grey; March 28th, 2006 at 23:22.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I like to DS eather Stormies (full squads) with two plasma or meltas, or thee of same guns with 5 Vets. Vets are suicide, and Stormies last much longer behind enemy lines.

The Flamers are just not great at doing enough damage to with two to anything but lightly aroured troops.

Flamers are good in deep striking or Chimera Mounted Command squads with at least three flamers, prefer 4. Then you also don't waste the higher BS of a Stormie or Vet.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, then this would be a bad idea. with the short range of flamers and the unpredicablility of DSing, lining up shots is hard... meltas it is!
    AKA MindSnap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good idea would be the drop troops doctrine with a special weapon squad and either demo charges or flamers. the flamers and demo charges are both great for infantry and the demo charge can also deal with vehicles. their 1 shot usage is not a problem because the enemy will either ignore them afterwards (they cant do anything much) or kill them and you still win out with them becaus they are shooting at them and not some of your other units. The flamer is good cos ur only paying for bs3 not bs4 on something where it doesnt matter.

I would also give the other guys CCWs so they might be able to get into an assault. the only problem with special weapon squads is that the weapons are overpriced.

I wouldnt use meltaguns with them becaus they are sooo expensive (15pts!!) when in a special weapon squad. I would get a veteran squad for that.

flamer squad= 62pts demo charge squad= 65pts
    thats quite expensive. But you get 3 weapons instead of 2.

By the way, if you use a special weapon squad then you don't need to use a whole elites choice for a small suicide unit.
    Last edited by BiG_SaNCHeZ; March 29th, 2006 at 08:59.

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the deepstriking suicide squads work worst with flamers, just because their range is so short and deep strike is so unreliable that it would be pretty damn tough to get their shots off at all, much less in a place you want them to go.

If you like flamers though, I'd suggest taking the a couple of vets, loading them up with flamers (or maybe even a heavy flamer if you dare) and putting them in a Chimera. Roll up to something that's packed a little tight or sitting in cover, and send it to Hell!

The only problem with this is that most "conventional" guard armies include either a leman russ or basilisk, so people spread their troops out to deal with templates, so even if you got some nasty flameage, people will be spread out enough that you won't hit anything.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

+ Reply to Thread