What would you use for a mainly City Fighting army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you use for a mainly City Fighting army?

I want to create an army that excels at city fighting and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on the subject.

The doctrines that I think would fit better fluff wise would be Light Infantry, Sharpshooters, Drop Troops (tunnelers), Special Weapon Squads and Veterans.

As for the actual army I would use mainly infantry with some sentinels.

"They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

If you want a great doctrine take Cameleoline, 3+ cover save in a building. Have that SM.

Infiltrate can give you defensive depth and with lots of cover being faster is good. However Sniper Rifles have never really been that much of an attraction to me.
    If your drop trooping this is a bit worthless though.

Drop Troops completely alters your army composition, It could be fun and Dropping Special weapon squads, Veterans and Sentinals are all good.

There have been alot of topics on cityfight recently, try a short search and see what you find.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brilliant someone else that wants an urban guard army, my army is a special operations based urban combat army. i use the following doctrines:-
    • Grenadiers
    • Veterans
    • Close Order Drill
    • Iron discipline
    • Special equipment: carapace armour

i do use vehicles quite a few vehicles including leman rus's and chimeras etc. i wouldnt rule out using more vehicles afterall indirect fire from a basilisk can be devastating for your opponent
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamers dude. Put a flamer in as many squads as you can.
    My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

Iron Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are aginst marines its got to be meltaguns all the way
    Where there's a will there's a weapon

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

My whole Guard army is designed for City Fight!

It's inspired by Stalingrad, so it's all Valhallans

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._tree/GI04.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._tree/GI02.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3..._tree/GI01.jpg

I used it in 3rd ed. and haven't updated it since, so no doctrines.
    It's primarily an infantry force (3 platoons of 3 squads), with a heavy weapon and a special weapon in every squad. The heavy weapon (mostly missile launches, autocannons, and heavy olters) being there for long range firepower (it quickly adds up) and the special weapon for close range shooting.

All the special weapons are either flamers or meltas.
    That puts the fear into ANY opponent, even SM. When they get within assault range, they see approx. 50 guardsmen running towards them and unloading a crapload of templates and AP1 shots, plus the rapid-firing lasguns of course :yes:

I also have a few heavy weapons squads to cover the streets and other firing lanes. Usually no mortars, totally useless in 40k.

Finally, the command squads all have 2 special weapons, and a few commissars with powerfists for the odd HtH fighting (they killed several space marine lords and wraithlords).

And in 1500pts, I play one leman russ for long range firing and one demolisher.
    The demolisher rues in city fight, and is totally fluffy.
    The russ would be better replaced by a basilisk, but I just don't like to field this kind of artillery in what I see as short-ranged firefight. In 1850, I play with 2 demolishers, which is awesome!
    I used 2 of the old hellhound before they became long-range tanks. Their template was deadly already!

Finally, a sentinel squadron with heavy flamers rounds up that "burna" army :yes:

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

My IG army I run is a good all around force, but does really well in City Fight. I use:

Infiltrate - the ability to get into cover earlier and get better firing positions is a must
    Cameleoline Armor - as everyone says, those Cover Saves are wonderful in City Fight. Haha guardsmen with 3+ saves? It's a MEQ's nightmare.
    Veterans - the ability to take more Vet Squads is awesome. And I believe you can give them Camo Armor. So now you have a better BS unit w/ up to 3 SW and 1 HW who get a 3+ cover save. I don't have my 'Dex with me at school so I don't remember if they can take doctrines.
    Sharpshooters - I don't really give this to my line troopers, but rather to my AT and Fire Support Squads. These guys w/ Infil and Camo Armor are the bane of many enemies.
    Stormtroopers - these guys I mainly take for the models and fluff reasons. GIve them a Chimera and 2 SW (usually Plasma but for City Fight I usually go for flamers if possible), and have these guys as OBJ takers or a quick reinforcement.

But Cameleoline is a definite doctrine for city fight. EVerything else has Strengths and Weaknesses.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

I'd say heavy bolters and flamers. A conscript squd or two with a commissar to give some assaulty power.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

I would definitly go with:
    Light Infantry
    Cameioline
    Special Weapon Teams
    without a doubt. Other docterines up for debate with veterines, iron dicipline, ratlings & handfull of others in competition for the last two slots.

Squads being a mix of meltaguns & flamers.
    Democharges & flamers on the special weapon teams.

Tanks 1-2 Demolishers, the close terrain lessens the impact of his low range & at least in the old cityfight it had special rules that made it more survivable than other tanks in a city conflict.
    also Hellhounds are our friend. 1-3 of those as well. Cook things at range and ignore cover saves, ya I'll take a few of those.
    Exact quantities of such depends on how heavy of a tank force I decide 2 Dem, 3 hellhounds for heavy. perhaps none for an all infantry.
    I don't think I'd take any of the others. . .maby 1 basilisk, but frankly I worry about it being flanked and destroyed.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

some basics, for city fight, dont take drop tropps doctrine, too risky, half the time you land off target, on a board littered with terrain this is a major problem

Also I would avoid vehicles as far as possible, stick with hoards of infantry
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast