Ratlings but no "hobbits" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Ratlings but no "hobbits"

I want some Ratlings but I don’t like the "hobbit" models. So I was wondering what you guys have used as conversions. I have herd of people just using the Cadian Snipers for them. That could be cool but I want to try something a little different. I was thinking about maybe the girl from Gaunts Ghosts, because a squad of sniper women would be sweet and just a tad kinky, but the problem there would be there all the same girl in the same position. I may even go as far as using some Tau Fire Worriers or Kroot and give them the extra lasguns I have. The only tournament I will be going to is one they have at my local store witch is pritty much just a buch of frendly games becuses it's manly for bragging rights not much eles. Thanks guys and pics would be helpful if you know about models out side of 40k range that I could convert.

If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

There are some pretty sweet SOB models if you wanted them to be chicks. Otherwise, you could either use the "cadian sniper" model or just convert some regular cadians. I made a couple snipers pretty easily by taking a regular guardsman, extending the lasgun barrel, and putting a little tube on the top of the lasgun for a scope. If you position the arms right, you can have him looking right down the scope...
    I don't have any pics, in fact I think I converted them all back to normal again after playing a few games with them... not saying snipers suck exactly, just not my style.
    But you could pretty much make a sniper out of anything, just extend the barrel and give them a scope. If you want girls, I would use SOB's.

EDIT: by the way, I agree that the hobbit models are retarded. Even if they didn't have bare feet (with hair on them!), they are still freaks! No xeno garbage is worthy of dying on the same field as my men.
    Last edited by Abraham Lincoln; March 31st, 2006 at 20:10.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

A while ago, me and King Ulrik - also known as Kuffy, where talking on IRC about a painting competition held by wyrd-games and I had a good look on the entrants there looking from some alternative models for ratlings, seeing as there are only two variants of the Cadian sniper, the standing and the kneeling models and because they're metal and covered in a cloak they might prove rather difficult to convert making a squad of 5-6+ of them look kinda boring. Among the contestants however I found these two and bookmarked them for future reference.

If you take a look under the image you'll see the name of the Manufacturer, so you could just google on the manufacturers name and browse your way trough their website till find them incase you're interested.

Here are the links:

http://wyrd-games.net/gallery/showim...goto=next&c=24

This first one I imagine would fit in quite well in a Vostroyan or Steel Legion army, but if you paint her in the same colours as the rest of your army I don't think it would look to shabby, no matter what models the rest of them are compromised of.

http://wyrd-games.net/gallery/showim...=previous&c=25

Seeing this one, I immedeatly thought 'Cadian sniper with the light infantry doctrine' though I hardly think the doctrine is neccesary.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I made mine with the Steel Legion heavy bolter gunner and the ash wastes weapon sprue from Necromunda. It just took a tiny bit of greenstuff to fit the stock to the shoulder, but they came out pretty sweet. Low tech, WWI looking snipers though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

The only trouble I can see with proxying is that ratlings have a decidedly subhuman statline. All unaltered humans, from the weedy to the buff, tend to have a strength and toughness of 3. Unless the sniper has some horrible wasting muscle disease, the statline won't make much sense.

The other option would be to use special weapons squads and have each sniper with her own spotter. Not a bad tactic, if you ask me.. means you have more ablative wounds than a squad of ratlings where every mutant counts, plus you can give them doctrines.

Incidentally, there was an all women Russian sniper brigade fielded in the battle of Stalingrad. More out of desparation than anything else, but they performed reasonably. I'd imagine that was the inspiration for the slightly soviet style Privateer model being linked to above.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; March 31st, 2006 at 22:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

that first sniper pick is REALLY cool.. I may have to get me one of those..
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    The only trouble I can see with proxying is that ratlings have a decidedly subhuman statline. All unaltered humans, from the weedy to the buff, tend to have a strength and toughness of 3. Unless the sniper has some horrible wasting muscle disease, the statline won't make much sense.
    But one could assume that women they have a lesser stat line. I am not trying to be rude or sexist or anything, its just the gaunts gosts model is pretty scrawny looking, and I'd picture a female sniper as being more concerned in stealth over muscle, and wouldnt be very strong or resilient, thus making a reduced statline moe acceptable.

Again, didn't mean to offend at all.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I think as long as it is on a small base, it should be fine. The Hobbits are on small bases, so you should be OK.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowZora13
    But one could assume that women they have a lesser stat line.
    I get what you mean, but a point of difference in 40k is huge. Space Marines can crush rocks and have limbs blown off them but they still only have 1 more in T and S and that's partly because of their powered armour too.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Thank you so much Kaiser those are really sweet models. I will problem use them and unofficially make them the commanders of the squad.

As for the stat line I’m sorry to say in my option the Guard men barley get any training, so I don’t think the women would be trained any more. PLEASE I’m talking in the Guard not the Sisters Of Battle for all we know those ladies could be clones of the Empress.(if threes and Emperor there is an Empress) if I’m totally wrong sorry I haven't read much of the fluff of other armies. My problem with using the Sisters for snipers would be the snipers would be beefier then the rest of the troops. Also what do you guys think of using the Tau sniper drones and calling them "Ratlings 2.0"
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast