I'm confused about Divine Guidance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused about Divine Guidance

So I was having an in-depth rules discussion with my friend the other day, and the issue of divine guidance with flamers came up. According to the rules, you must resolve each template weapon independently. Then usually you'll fire with the bolters. Now, the DG rule says you must use it after "to hit" but before "to wound" but with the way things would work out I'd have something that went like this: Hit/Wound(flamer 1) Hit/Wound(flamer 2) Hit/Wound(bolters).

My friend basically said that the rules as stated wouldnt allow for more than one of these hit/wound processes to benefit from DG. I had a really hard time arguing my case that it applied to the whole squad, but I cant find anything in the rules or FAQ to support it. Basically all I was able to say was "everyone does it!" But that wasnt good enough for him. Can anyone offer me any way to prove this officially? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

The proof is in the fact that it says in the assault or shooting PHASE, which implies all shooting done by that squad in that shooting phase. You may fire your flamers and bolters in different orders but your firing them all in the same PHASE, thus divine guidence works for all weapons fired, not just one.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Yep, That is sound advice.

And tell your friend it is only a game.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah ur friend sounds like he needs a chill pill or two
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I'm sure it doesn't say you must roll before rolling to wound and after, certain that it's "may".

You just can roll for Divine guidance after rolling to wound is all it's implying IMO. And what Undead Bonzi seems to be a good reply.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically the "before rolling to wound" clause is there to stop people from seeing how many 6s they get and then using the power. Just tell your friend to relax, roll the bolter "to hit" dice, put them on the side, roll for divine guidance, then start placing the flame thrower templates and finally roll "to wound" for the bolters.

EDIT: Heiromyo the rule is in black and white in that you roll for divine guidance after rolling hits and before rolling wounds. They don't imply anything and the word "may" doesn't even appear there.
    Last edited by idinos; April 2nd, 2006 at 15:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by idinos
    Basically the "before rolling to wound" clause is there to stop people from seeing how many 6s they get and then using the power. Just tell your friend to relax, roll the bolter "to hit" dice, put them on the side, roll for divine guidance, then start placing the flame thrower templates and finally roll "to wound" for the bolters.

EDIT: Heiromyo the rule is in black and white in that you roll for divine guidance after rolling hits and before rolling wounds. They don't imply anything and the word "may" doesn't even appear there.
    Fair enough, didn't bother reading on it, just an on the spot post.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, I was thinking about rolling the bolter shots first then doing my templates... I think that the problem is that the WH codex came out before the new 4th edition rulebook. And yes my friend really does need to take a chill pill, he's a pot head he must not have had anything to smoke that day.

Thanks for takig the time to reply!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x4)

I advise you actually do the flamers first, they have a shorter range than the bolters. If your opponent is smart and you fired your bolters first he may remove the models from the front reducing the casulties from the flamer weapons (maybe even avoid being hit by them all together)

My Showcase
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes I meant to roll the hit dice for the bolters and then put them aside as was previously suggested... well when playing vs that friend of mine. Id always use flamers first for maximum woundage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast