Librarium Online Forums banner

Chimerae

736 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Cheredanine 
#1 ·
What are your favourite setups for chimerae? Why? For what situation?
And is the plural of "Chimera" "Chimerae" or "Chimeras"?

chimera
multilaser
hull heavy bolter
pintle stubber
extra armour
smoke launchers

#2 ·
I usually use that setup as well, minus the extra armor if I need the points, and mount a Stormtrooper or Grenadier squad into it with some assault weapons based on what I think I'll be running up against (since it's Nids more often than not I usually stick to a flamer and a grenade launcher).

#3 ·
"Chimeras" is the plural, setup is usually in cover or behind other vehicles to shild from incoming fire. Movement usually behind a vehicle or simply charge forward and unload in the end. Important upgrades include smoke launchers, multilaser, hull heavy bolter. Everything else isnt worth taking after all it a simply lightly armored transport, you dont need tuning it up like a battle tank. Chances are, it will be destroyed before the game is over. Overall its a very good and fast transporter, nicely armed and pretty durable for its cost.

#5 ·
I like the multi laser, hull HB, pintle stubber and smoke load out. I put stormies with plasma and a psycannon totting inquisitor into it and on the first turn drive them close to cover or objectives and use smoke. My opponents will usually shoot at my demolisher and battle tank before targeting my Chimera. The stormies will get out next turn (I hope) and the Chimera then becomes a firebase until destroyed.

#6 ·
if they are letting you use IA Chimerae then you can't go past the AutoCannon/HHB Chim for firepower; and it's pretty simple to convert too.
The only other non-standard Chim I'd use is turret HB and Hull HFlamer for rapid assault units, it gives you a nice selection of firepower for any situation (cityfight especially)

#7 ·
Turret Autocannon
Hull HB
Pintle Stubber
Smoke

In select circumstances, add a H-K. This can make a very effective first-round tank hunter. Two AC shots and one Krak shot have a fair shot at acing any armor on the table. If that H-K scores a first-round kill (or even knocks out an opponent's main gun) every 10-16 games, it's worth the points.

#8 ·
I like two Variants:

Standard: Multlaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Pintle Stubber (if points allow), and smoke. Sit back, shoot at tough troops or trasports from a mobile HW platform.

Assault "Flaming Chimera O' Doom":(Y) Turret Heavy Flamer, Hull Heavy Flamer, EA, Smoke. If you're going to move it fast, you can't shoot till your close anyway.

#9 ·
having a chimera with a lot of shots isn't a bad idea, because you have to think of it as more then just a tansport. For the amount of points it costs, it's not a bad idea to have it serve a purpose once it's contents are ejected.

If you truly want to use it just as a transport though, smoke launchers and extra armor, and that's it, pop smoke every turn until you've gotten your guys where they need to go, and then rush it away to some place where it can block fire to whatever you don't want shooting at or assaulting that squad.

#11 ·
You only get to pop smoke once per game, much as I'd love to use it more often! Having said that, generally you only need to use it once as 24 inches of movement over two turns should get your squad pretty much where they are needed.

I tend to take this lay out:
Hull HB
Turret Multilaser
Extra Armour
Smoke

Its cheap, can always move unless destroyed, and still acts as a great mobile weapons platform once its cargo is deployed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.