Dreadnoughts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreadnoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnoughts

I'm new to 40K and i decided i'd start a WH army. Was just wondering if there is any way i can take a dreadnought, not a PE, in my army? i just think the're great looking models...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just use the Dred model and the Penitent Engine rules. Simple. This should be fine even in a tourny since it's a GW model, and it can't be confused with anything else in the list. I would advise that you convert it somehow to make it look more penitent though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play Dh and Wh? Thats the only way you could ake a literal dread, but I recommend playing pure, unless you were already gona play allies.

^click it for warhammer central^

Anime Clan. Join it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could use IST's for troops and Induct Space Marines to get a dreadnought if you really wanted to.
    Exorcist Kills:
    Predator Annihilator
    Skyray
    Leman Russ
    Pirahna
    Chimera
    Wartrukk
    Nob
    5 Tactical Squad Marines
    2 Raiders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to use DH allies for the dread, but you can't take allied heavy support, and if i'm not mistaken, dreads are heavy...and supportive, that was why i asked...

I could use SM for theire "elite" dreads, but i wanted to dip into the DH list aswell, maybe for some grey knights or something
    Last edited by tus666; April 7th, 2006 at 20:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

The only way to get access to both a Dread and the GK's as well is to play a core DH list and take WH units as allies. Otherwise you can just take a Marine dread as an ally, or just GK's, but no GK dread (like you said, it's a Heavy Support choice).
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

Yeh I think DH dreadnoughts are heavy.

As mentioned below you could decide not to have any adapta sorotias and induct space marines. You'll have a nice array of close combat troops at your disposal (Drednought, Assault Marines, Arco Flaggellants, Penitant Engines etc.)
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw the cost of a GK termie, that put pay to that idea! So my only other option is SM allies for an elite dread? but then i wouldn't be able to take and SofB? that sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tus666
    Just saw the cost of a GK termie, that put pay to that idea! So my only other option is SM allies for an elite dread? but then i wouldn't be able to take and SofB? that sucks
    You don't get an Elite SM Dread when you use SM as allies. The Dread counts as Heavy Support. This is explained in the WH Codex, page 26, on the grey sidebar. It also explains that you MUST have at least two SM Troops choices (which do NOT count towards the mandatory 1 HQ & 2 Troops every army needs) to use the Dreadnought.

And no, you would not be able to use SoB if you had SM allies.

If you want SoB & a Dreadnought, play a Daemonhunters army with Allied Witch Hunters. There is NO rule about combining GK and SoB, so you can have up to three GK Dreadnoughts and then allied SoB units. The rules for allying WH or DH into an army are in the grey box on page 25 of the WH codex or page 21 of the DH codex.

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Everyone else is correct.

However, I do have the rules for "Ephereal Stern" Dreadnought, as published in Black Gobbo. She's a legal SoB Dreadnought, and quite fair IMHO. So you can have a dread, while taking SoB. I have the link somewhere to the site, so PM me if you would like me to link you the rules.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast