Creating My Own Special Character - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm considering to make my own special character. I want him to have some special rules but I'm not sure how many point I should charge for them. I'm not interested in making him as cheap as possible just fair so that I actually could use him.
    I was planning to use the statline of the old Cypher, as well as some of his special rules ( I love the gunfighter rule)

As I see it the Animosity and Divine Protection nullify eachother, and just removing them would not affect the total point cost.

The Hunted by Dark Angels rule could easily be cancelled as this is both a merit and a flaw.

And last the Fallen Angels rule, would be switched with Command Squad, although Fallen Angels may be 'worth' more because it grants the Chaos player marines with And The Shall Know no Fear, but it's just a minor detail

Making him count towards HQ instead of Elite should also be worth something and along with ignoring the difference in Fallen Angels and Command Squad should help justify the cancellations above

So for my little dilemma, how to make him special? and what should it cost? I was thinking of using some of the gifts and skills from the codex CSM and renaming them so they would fit a Space Marine. For example calling the Daemonic Aura gift Dodge (kindof like Ragnar Blackmane) Using these gifts and skills as a template would be the easiest way I can think of, as the pointcost is already worked out

This is how far as I have come. What do you people think? Could it work? I'd like to hear both comments/critics and suggestions please

Master Belial

'But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominions are in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. All the spirits that are associated with him are but angels of destruction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll need to play test them. personally I'd avoid stuff like dodge as from what I've seen its a rare talent (besides blackmane only seen it for assassins, DA don't strike me as being particularly swift comparativly speaking) this is a DA character I'm assuming correct? (kinda obvious i should think considering, just checking).

What kind of a charcter though? master? Chaplain? Librarian? generic hero? to get an invulnerable save, you could give him that little watcher dude with the lion helm, a rosarius, or a special psychic power built into his fluff respectivly. other wise I'd be tempted to tell you to stick with the tried and true iron halo and hope your not planing on taking an emporor's champion. in a strech make one called 'the emporor's gift/protection' and make his fluff even more monastic then the usual DA guys.

special rules are over rated in my opinion. if you really want one then I'd make up a new one that increases one of his baseline stats and call it something appropriate (resilaint for instance and give him an extra wound, or precient and raise his iniative, etc)

personally, try not to go over the top with him. Most dark angels characters are fairly laid back and tame compared to some of the crazy guys from other chapters so i wouldn't break the mold.

Oh yeah, and ya gotta make a cool conversion for him! just because, well, at least try it on a spare model cause conversions are ALWAYS cool. tell me more and list equipment and maybe I can toss out some ideas for you, assuming you don't have it set in stone already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The character is meant to be a (grand) master, not the others, The Old Cypher statline is most simlar to the Grandmaster. As the special skills I put on him, I have to detail out in the fluff ( like the dogde) In the fluff i'm currently thinking of he's to be a bit like SW (as I'm norwegian) Maybe something like that originally the character came from Fenris and became a DA instead of a SW. I have to work on his story when I decide what kind of abilities he is to have, so I can come up with a fairly logical reason for them.

personally, try not to go over the top with him.
    This is always in the back of my head, thats why I want some feedback from you people on my progress

In a strech make one called 'the emporor's gift/protection' and make his fluff even more monastic then the usual DA guys.
    I like this one! it's a good idea

special rules are over rated in my opinion. if you really want one then I'd make up a new one that increases one of his baseline stats and call it something appropriate (resilaint for instance and give him an extra wound, or precient and raise his iniative, etc)
    This is basically what I have in mind, This very much alike what I detailed out in my first post, using DP gifts to modify the character and here I have all the pointcost laid out infront of me.

I'm not sure yet on how I'm going to make him. Using the Cypher mini as well, is tempting. I'm quite sure about one thing he must have robes. I'd have to buy the model and see if I can get the skeleton away form his chest without ruining the mini
    Master Belial

'But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominions are in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. All the spirits that are associated with him are but angels of destruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hadn't seen the cypher model before, just found it. In a pinch the skeloton isn't that noticeable. maybe leave the skull and gouge out the surrounding area, make a putty mold os imperial eagle, make a putty copy of imperil eagle, slice off the wings and go that route?

Didn't know what "DP gifts" were (deamon prince?)

As far as the fenris bit, well, that could be down right amusing if you play it right. I mean they do recruit from other worlds. Imagine the irony of a great warrior being overlooked by the wolf priests only to be pick up by a dark angels envoy (perhaps they were there linked to their good old fued? maybe its an anaversery of that first duel?), and since space wolves don't value skill with a gun so much as skill with a sword that would be reason enough to not take him. Hell, if your really ambitious and can pull it off when playing the game, leave his weapon's skill at 4, certainly no higher then 5 though, to represent this (?).

Then, how to work in the monastic exterme to warrent notice by the emporor...

when he was on fenris maybe make him like an apprentice psuedo religious guy, since clerics tend to be better at fine skill work like shooting rather then blunt rage of HTH. And once taken he becomes a convert retaining his humility or something.

Then again if hes from fenris, and has dodge ability because of that, then you don't need to worry about it at all, least not for the invulnerable save anyway.

That fenris bit, you can have some real fun fleshing that out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the irony of a Fenrisian turning into a DA that got me all started with this special character project. As for his stats, I have to work on that bit fluffwise since Cypher's line (if i were to use that) has a higher BS. Natural apptitude perhaps?

As for the reason why he became recruited by DA instead of SW, I could say that he was only born on Fenris, moved to another system (rich family maybe traders) Got separated from his family and DA recogniced his abilities and took him in. But he always remembered his past and despite the stickt DA doctrine, he always kept in touch with his inheritance

Didn't know what "DP gifts" were (deamon prince?)
    Yeah thats the Daemon Prince gifts from the new Codex CSM, they should work fine when making a special character, some of them that is. Several of the gift consern extra points to the stats and some of them could be used, with exeption of the ones raising the strenght and toughness. It wouldn't be right to have a SM with higher toughness
    Master Belial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by MasterBelial@Apr 26 2003, 20:56
    As for the reason why he became recruited by DA instead of SW, I could say that he was only born on Fenris, moved to another system (rich family maybe traders)

I'm not quite sure if that would fly with the fluff fanatics. From the second edition codex for the space wolves Fenris is described as basically a feral world for all intensive purposes. I got the impresion that the only places on the planet that had technology more advanced then bronze/iron age were SW bastions.

I don't know how much SW fluff your privy too, but fenris is a real hell hole. extreme winters, planetwide earthquakes from tidal effects due to the proximity of their sun during their summer(s). every summer they hop on board sea-ships because every landmass except the northern continent that holds the Fang gets flooded from sinking into the ocean. I think even their ships are made from giant sea creatures' bones and skins. Not the kind of place you'd expect to find much of any technology from after the 1700-1800s.

Then again, its your character, and fluff is liquid anyway. I don't want to tell you your own characters background, I'm just giving you my 2 cents.

just a note, grand masters have BS: 5 baseline, thats 2+ on 1 D6. Anything above BS: 5 in third edition is just plain showing off and really is good for nothing more then bragging rites

FYI, in second edition the vindicare assassin had BS: 8, still hit on a 2+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm then the 'moved' idea isn't that good after all. I don't own the 2 ed SW Codex so I'm not that familiar with the planet. Thanks for the info!

Then again, its your character, and fluff is liquid anyway. I don't want to tell you your own characters
    background, I'm just giving you my 2 cents.
    Don't worry about that if I didn't want feedback/suggestions, I wouldn't have posted in the first place

Then I have to look for another reason... What if he as a kid snuck aboard a merchant/supply ship and got carried away, then left as a stowaway on their next port of call?
    His family/parents could be devoted as servitors at a SW installation, opening the possibility of him ever getting close to a ship.

By the Way...How is Fenris located in relation to the EoT? I could claim a warpstorm carried him away, kind of like what happened to the Fallen after the fall of Caliban.
    Master Belial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't have access to a 40k galaxy map. Theres another warp storm floating around i think, forget what its called (Malestorm?). Fenris is a little closer to that one i think. But IIRC its not particularly close to anything of note.

The Iron priest on fenris interact with the local native smiths, they act almost like the native peoples patron iron god or something like that. Anyway, all that buisness takes place on the northern continent i believe, and is probably the only place on the planet where locals would live in a stable enviroment. It also happens to give you access to a SW tech installation of a sort. I wouldn't call his parents servitors cause that'd mean they're basically cyborg slaves and not really parents (it'd also imply they both attempted to become SW marines and both failed), maybe make him come from a long line of iron smiths? though the stowaway idea ought to work out ok (I still don't like the idea of the merchant ship though, no real trade is ever mentioned, call it a supply ship from a forge world or something?).

Geesh, now why did i stop playing SW army again???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

The idea of a Fenrisian DA is brilliant! Think of the possibilites for blood feud rules! IIRC Fenris is actually fairly close to the Eye, so the idea of a warp storm is feasable. I mean terra was in a warp storm once, and I think Fenris is closer to the Eye than terra...
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allright, I&#39;ll go with the iron smiths that sounds cool. You are absolutly right with the merchant ship as well, supplyship sounds better. I guess I have what I need to start working on the basics of his fluff

But over to the rules, what do you think of the ideas in my first post? any comments? What do you think BorninDarkness could it work?
    Master Belial

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast