Are Multi-Meltas worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Multi-Meltas worth it?

You have a weapon that is heavy , yet has a terrible range for the title. I mean sure it CAN blow tanks from here to umm....somewhere else , but still. The only real thing I can think of is for it to scare things , considering that they really have to WANT to be hit for the blasted thing to have range. Maybe drop podding? I mean most things can't run that fast in one phase.
    Thinking about this my guess was : no
    but what do you people think?

Cheers!
    -The Roboticist

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well its odveus you have not though about putting a Multi-Melta on a Bike or a Land Speeder. On them i think there worth it but otherwise no.

All religion, my friend is simply evolved out of fraud, greed, imagination and poetry.
    - Edgar Allen Poe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh , yes in my foolishness I had forgetten that bikes and speeders can take them. But what I was really asking is what you all thought about the infantry kind =)

Cheers!
    -The Roboticist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Roboticist
    You have a weapon that is heavy , yet has a terrible range for the title. I mean sure it CAN blow tanks from here to umm....somewhere else , but still. The only real thing I can think of is for it to scare things , considering that they really have to WANT to be hit for the blasted thing to have range. Maybe drop podding? I mean most things can't run that fast in one phase.
    Thinking about this my guess was : no
    but what do you people think?

Cheers!
    -The Roboticist
    If you do drop pod them in, they can really mess up the advance of armoured units. Blocking LOS with the pod and having a MultiMelta or two (veterans?) can screw up the most dedicated of armoured columns! Just watch out for the large blast template that may end up pointed at your drop podded squad.
    Last edited by BringerOfStorms; April 11th, 2006 at 17:00.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

multi-meltas are actually just terrible
    dont ever put them on foot guys, lascannons will always get you better results
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi meltas are useless unless mounted on a l.s a a.b... But melta guns are great. D.P a 6man tac squad with a multi melta vet sarg with p.f and say good bye to the tank .Also good for killing tau etherals...
    Your Signature:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all I am required to tell you I am a Blood Angel player.

IMHO multi melta dev squads are awesome (I have used them before). Mount them in a Rhino, move into a forward position using OCE, and then puff smoke. Disembark second turn and unleash on turn three. Be warned this sq is extremely crippled by escalation :cry: and can be a point sink costing roughly 300 pts. I would recommend you try it sometime in a friendly game, I have found them quite effective. :shifty:

Let The Blood of our enemies flow!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Lascannon has 2x range, 9 str and 2 ap, 1 less than multi-melta. Lascannons are great, in my opinion, better than multi-meltas. 48" is a huge advantage of 24" if ur putting these in a dev squad...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like them in infantry squads. If your squad is going to be advancing at medium pace then go for ir. They are the same price as a missile launcher but with a better ap and tank killer capability in exchange for the range. Unless your taking long range shots you don't need the range. I would give all your squads MM but those who are going to be holding the middle ground can benefit from them.
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdeath3
    The Lascannon has 2x range, 9 str and 2 ap, 1 less than multi-melta. Lascannons are great, in my opinion, better than multi-meltas. 48" is a huge advantage of 24" if ur putting these in a dev squad...

Better at 25 to 48 inches, yes.

13 to 24 inches they're about even. Lascannon has +1 S, but the MM always penetrates (AP1), so it's just about the same.

12 inches and in, nothing can touch a Multimelta. Heavy duty Ordinance shots are the only thing in the Imperial arsenal that can beat it, and it's vastly better than any Lascannon at close range. That's a pretty big condition, but if you're using MM's in the first place, I tend to assume you have a plan to use them so the range issue is fairly minor.

So yes, if you're planning to sit back and shoot, Multimeltas are less than worthless. But if you're planning to get in close to use the weapons like they're meant to be used, they can be extremely powerful indeed. The trick is in getting them in close in the first place.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast