Special Weapons Delivery - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Special Weapons Delivery

I'll start off by saying that I don't play Guard, but they are my next army. In fact, I'm way better at killing Guard with my Marines than trying to figure out how to win with them.

The question I'm pondering is just how useful are special weapons teams/spec weapons HQs? When I play against them, they hardly ever survive long enough to get to me. Usually, though, what happens is they pop out of a Chimera when I've already gotten into my opponent's lines. Then they get one shot at my assault or terminator squad. If the rolls go badly for them, they die next turn.

I know, in theory, how dangerous 4 meltas/plas are to my terminators, but it never seems to work out that way.

I guess what I'm usually seeing is the "suicide" squad. I haven't seen them win back their points yet, but maybe I'm lucky.

Does anyone have better results or strategies?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use suicide plasma squads, they're kinda risky for my taste. I'd rather just put my special weapons in line squads that just stand and shoot. Sneaking around only works for guard when the enemy doesn't expect it, or when they can strike at a target of extreme opporotunity (ie plasma guns at a terminator squad) but the problem is that they're usually difficult ambushes to set up. Maybe if you were using jungle fighting rules it would be more doable, but whatever. I do know people that use deep striking special weapons squads or storm trooper squads with meltaguns to pop tanks. But I hate storm troopers, so I don't use them either, I'd rather just put a lascannon in my line squad and let it rip. I load down on heavy weapons and armor though, to the point that it borders on a personality flaw. That's what works for me.

Does your guard opponent win against non-you opponents? He might have a very successful list against, say, nids, but it falls apart against marine opponents. I've got friends who's lists slaughter 1 army, but shouldn't even bother against others. Or he could just not have a good grasp of playing the guard. I took me a few months before it clicked for me. (or at least clicked enough that I could play without embarrasing myself)

As a note, I prefer to use my officers not as a mount for 4 special weapons, but rather as combat leaders. I hang them amongst the line to share leadership, then charge him in when necessary. Usually my officer has a storm bolter, his retinue has a lascannon and 2 plasma guns.

If you're trying to understand guard, from what I've gathered they are best when they are standing in formation, blasting away with a crushing amount of heavy weapons and ordinance blasts. They can be made to work outside this role, but they're best in that, imho.
    Last edited by Ubernyaw; April 11th, 2006 at 18:04.
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special weapon squads and HQ units are the most common point sinks in all the IG codex. If you take them and you take advantage of the fact that they can take so many special weapons, they will be a fire magnet. When you have a T3 trooper with a 5+ save in an ap5 world and you only have 5 or 6 in a squad, it does not take much to vaporize it. Many people say that you should take 4 grenade launchers in a command squad. That is 72pts for a junior officer, and it just dies before it does anything. I have faced it once, and I killed it off with one good round of chimera fire. That squad almost cost as much as my chimera, but it is WAY easier to kill and the chimera has much more firepower. Remember, you cannot screen units anymore, so now a wise opponent will pick off your high-cost-per soldier units first. Heavy weapon squads can still be useful because often times they are out of range of enemy weaponry except for things like lascannons, and they would much rather use lascannons on dangerous tanks.

I use my command squads as 5 wound lascannon or missile launcher squads. I park them in the back of my deployment zone and fire away. Sometimes I will give them one plasma gun and move them up a little bit, but nothing more than that. Otherwise they will get targeted because the opponent does not have to cut through so many bodies to kill off your lascannon and your plasma gun, which are the only things he will really care about.

If I ever use a special weapon squad I will always take a demolition charge. If you do not take a demolition charge you are wasting your points. If it is as a counter assault unit, give it one demo charge and MAYBE a plasma gun. Most of the time, just take the bare bones squad with a demo charge. This way the unit will not attract too much fire and you can heave your demo charge into a squad of some terminators or marines or necrons or whatever. If they fear the demo charge and do not assault you, they have probably lost the game because shootin' is what IG do best.

+ Reply to Thread