Grey Knight Brother-Captain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knight Brother-Captain

Something i never understood about the Demonhunters army list:

Why is the Brother-Captain hero of the Grey Knights (by definition one of the most accomplished fighters in the galaxy) the ONLY captain far and wide with only ONE wound?

I really think that's one of the major weaknesses of the Grey Knights - Grandmasters rock, but they are much too expensive for anything smaller than 2000 pts. And the Brother-Captain is hardly special or tough enough to qualify as a force commander...

*sigh*
    sorry, fellow 'hunters - had to get that rant off my power-armoured chest!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Thats one of the more common complaints of the army list, really: no mid-level HQ choice, just very high and very low.

I, personally, have no problems with the BC - he has almost identical stats to a regular GKT. If he had another wound, he'd go up by something like 20+ points. And in lower level games, which is the only place to bother using the BC, you don't want to have a more expensive HQ! A BC + 3 GKT is already over 200pts.

But I do agree that it would be nice for a mid-range HQ choice as well, something with 2 wounds, and costing around 100pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon
    Grandmasters rock, but they are much too expensive for anything smaller than 2000 pts
    On the contrary; GMs are worth squeezing in wherever and whenever you can. I don't think I could justify using one in games of less than 1250pts since it's a lot of points to pay for 1 model (albeit one who does indeed rock the mostest), but anything 1250pts and over I'll always take my GM. I don't really have any complaints with the DH list, since I find most things can be compensated for or managed without quite well enough. A mid-range HQ would be nice, but I honestly don't feel it would be THAT neccesary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The Brother Captain is good if you don't want to have a Character that costs a whole units price. I used to be a big proponent of taking Grandmasters, because of what Solomom pointed out, but for a 145 - 200+ pt model that can be singled out in CC and can't get an options like an Adamantium Mantle, has caused me to take a BC more often in current games, especially under 2000pts.

It gives me the abiltiy to take more PAGKs in my list, which is tactically more multi-purpose.
    Last edited by Diggums Hammer; April 13th, 2006 at 17:26.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Thsis might be blastphemy but I would like an HQ in power armor, Give him 2 wounds, 3 attacks, and intiative 5. I don't think he would even have to cost that much. If he has a power weapon already, he would be a justicar with daemonic gifts equalling 35 points. Give him the Icon and you a have a solid HQ that can lead a PAGK squad and still cut down enemies. Total cost would be about 110 (with the Icon) and he would just be a really solid GK. Again I appologize for using the Chaos codex to reference cost for Daemon hunters (and more specifically GKs) but I think it is the most versitile for making independent charactors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10
    Thsis might be blastphemy but I would like an HQ in power armor, Give him 2 wounds, 3 attacks, and intiative 5. I don't think he would even have to cost that much. If he has a power weapon already, he would be a justicar with daemonic gifts equalling 35 points. Give him the Icon and you a have a solid HQ that can lead a PAGK squad and still cut down enemies. Total cost would be about 110 (with the Icon) and he would just be a really solid GK. Again I appologize for using the Chaos codex to reference cost for Daemon hunters (and more specifically GKs) but I think it is the most versitile for making independent charactors.

quick strike down the heritic!!!
    Well from what i see (im new to these deamonhunter parts, the GM is worth it, in my marine army my HQ is a chapter master with jet pack iron halo artificer armour a power fist and a plasma pistol. Now he rox in CC (ok he strikes last but he usally gets through) hes point heavy at 175 pts but meh!!. Now the GM is about the same iv got him at about 180 pts. the cool thing for him is hes got +2 strength and its a force weapon and he doesnt strike last to me that sounds gd.
    As for the brother captain id say hes worth it it gives a little bit more flexibility to a squad in my view.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen
    A mid-range HQ would be nice, but I honestly don't feel it would be THAT neccesary.
    Between the Brother-Captain and the Grand Master we could have a Brother-Master.
    Or a Grand Captain.
    Or a Pretty Good Master.
    Whatever he's called, the most important thing about him is that he must have two wounds minimum.

Actually, I wouldn't mind using an Inquisitor Lord more often ... except that he HAS to have a retinue (nullifying his cheapness advantage) and then you STILL have to have a BC to get any Heavy Support choices other than an orbital strike. (Making your list either more expensive cause you still gotta buy the GK hero OR even weaker against armor if you don't take the BC. Some of us just don't want to ally or induct, ya know?) Loosen up those restrictions, and the need for a mid-range GK Hero goes away.

Even so, I agree such a choice isn't strictly necessary. But my brain hurts when I think that my HQ model has half as many wounds as any of the assassins or an elite inquisitor.
    Last edited by number6; April 13th, 2006 at 23:29.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts exactly, number6.
    Given that pretty much everyone's running around with 2 wounds these days, it pains me to see that Grey Knights Brother-Captains are so close to the Emperor's Grace that they join him THAT quickly...

A command choice in power armour - why not? Something like an "Acting Brother-Captain" to quote the novel...

What we need is a "Not-So-Grand-Master" (if that designation will ever make it into an army list?) - take Brother-Captain Stern for example and take all the fancy stuff away:
    the grimoire (10 pts) , his psychic powers (30 pts), his special rules - only keeping the ability to use the NFM like a Grandmaster) and you end up with a decent character profile for 101 points: WS:5, BS:5, S:4, T:4, W:2, I:5, A:3, Ld:10

Ah well, isn't it nice to dream of the Emperor's Blessing like that? :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask, why don't use Brother Captain Stern?
    He has 2 wound, use the NFW like a Grand Master.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are 141 reasons ... it's all about having a HQ choice (especially for smaller size games) that is not so expensive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast