Has anyone had success drop podding devastators? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone had success drop podding devastators?

I know it may seem like a no brainer, but has anyone tried and succeeded at dropping
    a devastator squad or two? It's a viable option and I'm curious to see if anyone has.

Plus, what are the pros and cons. All I can think of is firepower were you need it (flank
    and rear), but you'll have to wait a couple turns to use it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

My apologies for the upcoming insult but..

Who in their right mind would let a drop podded devy squad survive long enough to do anything what-so-ever?

The con to the idea is that you need no less than two turns to do anything other than provide a target for your opponent.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever
    My apologies for the upcoming insult but..

Who in their right mind would let a drop podded devy squad survive long enough to do anything what-so-ever?

The con to the idea is that you need no less than two turns to do anything other than provide a target for your opponent.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thats great! No offense taken Darkreever. I have to agree with you.
    But as you and I know there are thousands of members here and someone has to have
    experimented with this.

So who are you? Did it turn out the way Darkreever said it would?

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

It just dosn't seem necassary to pod a devastator squad. Ya you can shoot the turn you land, but most weapons you are going to want to put in a dev squad have incredable range which is a waste of potential. The other thing, as darkreever correclty pointed out, is that is a great oppurtunity for your opponent to blow that sqaud away. In sum, there really isn't a reason to pod a dev squad.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im unfamilier with the new Marine Codex, but if you can give them 4 Meltaguns and then drop them next to a tank - they are gonna hurt. I know my chaos can take a havoc squad with special weapons (as opposed to heavy weapons) but I have no idea about loyalist scum. Disregard my comment if its not possible.
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike_alike
    Im unfamilier with the new Marine Codex, but if you can give them 4 Meltaguns and then drop them next to a tank - they are gonna hurt. I know my chaos can take a havoc squad with special weapons (as opposed to heavy weapons) but I have no idea about loyalist scum. Disregard my comment if its not possible.
    Unfortunately for the loyalist scum, they can't take special weapons in a devestator squad.

Page 38 of the SM codex.

Unfortunately for the servants of the true gods, they can't take the chaos version of drop pods in a tournament list.

So unfortunately for SMs and CSMs, no dropping podding with melta guns.

But fortunate for everyone else of course.

About the only way that I can see using Devestators in a drop pod and have a useful outcome is if you happen to be playing in a mega, MEGA, MEGA battle (You know, the ones where a Basalisk can use its full indirect firing range.) with tons of tables pushed together and you really need to bring in some heavy weapons to a particular area.

Beyond that you're wasting both turns of shooting and bringing a unit that isn't designed to withstand assaults into closer range of the enemy.

Hmm. I just thought of one way....

If you take the trait, "Trust your battle brothers" to give all your bolter wielding guys true grit and counter attack, don't bother giving your devestators heavy weapons at all, and have already taken the maximum amount of Tactical troops, then it might be interesting.

10 Tactical Marines, 2 plasma guns, true grit, counter attack, Veteran Sergeant, Power Fist, Drop Pod(x3 squads)

10 Tactical Marines, 2 melta guns, true grit, counter attack, Veteran Sergeant, Power Fist, Drop Pod(x3 squads)

10 Devestators, true grit, counter attack, Veteran Sergeant, Power Fist, Drop Pods (x3 squads)

Once again though, this sort of thing would only be something to do in huge games, because I think just these squads work out to 2280 or so.

Thats about all I got.
    Last edited by Grey; April 16th, 2006 at 19:45.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say that the only thing you should do to get a devastator squad near the enemy is take Honour Your Wargear or See but Don't be Seen. Infiltrate them with a scout squad. Infiltrate a Heavy bolter squad with Sniper Scouts into heavy cover. Infiltrate Multi-Meltas into moderate cover with Close Combat Scouts (Probably two units) and deny your opponent's vehicles a 24" diameter circle (minus LOS blocking terrain)

Otherwise, drop podding seems a bit suicidal for my tastes.
    Where's your Baritone Saxophone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

if you are going against an opponent that rushes everything forward immediately, this is the tactic for you. this way, you can expose and exploit the backside of enemy armor, and get some good shots at the enemy. this only would seem to work with heavy bolters, a maximum of 1 lascannon, and the most important- missile launchers.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seemingly no-one uses drop-podding devestators because there are many other 'better' ideas going round. nice thought though.
    TAU PLAYER - GREY KNIGHTS PLAYER - WOOD ELVES PLAYER (kind of)

"Grey Knight terminators aren't 'good.' THEY'RE F****N AWESOME!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    have a useful outcome is if you happen to be playing in a mega, MEGA, MEGA battle (You know, the ones where a Basalisk can use its full indirect firing range.)
    Oh my lord. Just thinking of that...thats insane.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast