Drop Troop-Rules Mix Up - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Troop-Rules Mix Up

Dear Librarium Onliners,
    I have a couple of questions about the Drop Troops doctrine that I need a bit of help on. I've read the rules and am still quite confused.

My Questions are:
    1) Can you nominate a platoon to Drop Troop (or not), or when you take the drop troop doctrine all your platoons and veterans HAVE to deep strike.

2) Are there representations necessary for Drop Troopers? If yes, how would you model it?

3) Is drop trooping a generally a good tactic?

Any help would be appreciated
    Happy Easter!
    Rob

RG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K
    Dear Librarium Onliners,
    I have a couple of questions about the Drop Troops doctrine that I need a bit of help on. I've read the rules and am still quite confused.

My Questions are:
    1) Can you nominate a platoon to Drop Troop (or not), or when you take the drop troop doctrine all your platoons and veterans HAVE to deep strike.

2) Are there representations necessary for Drop Troopers? If yes, how would you model it?

Any help would be appreciated
    Happy Easter!
    Rob
    1)You can nominate squads that drop troop, meaning half your platoon can deploy normally while the other half deepstrikes. You just roll one reserves roll for the entire platoon.

2) No. It's assumed the guys throw away their parachutes or gravchutes after they land.

3) I think drop trooping in large numbers is a bad idea, not only will your army be split up and large chunks of it might not be landing untill the 4th or 5th turn, when they land they can't fire any heavy weapons since they count as having moved. You're also in base to base formation, leaving your vunerable to template weapons aswell as you're out of cover. Statistically only 1/3 of your squads will be landing where you want them, the rest whill scatter between 2 and 12 inches in a random direction which might leave your men out of range or even killing them.

Dropping small number of units works well though, like 5 veterans with 3 meltas or a special weapon squad with a demolition charge.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about this, you can nominate SQUADS to deep strike? I thought it'd have to be like the entire platoon, but anyway continuing with that, what would the maximum amount of squads that could deep strike from a platoon? I'm assuming up to all except the 2 squads, also does the Platoon HQ have to deep strike?

Also (just making very sure) I'm assuming that you could have an entire platoon deep strike if you wish.

Thanks again for the help,
    Rob
    RG

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Sorry about this, you can nominate SQUADS to deep strike?
    Yes.

I thought it'd have to be like the entire platoon...
    Nope.

...but anyway continuing with that, what would the maximum amount of squads that could deep strike from a platoon?
    All of them.

...also does the Platoon HQ have to deep strike?
    Nope.

Also (just making very sure) I'm assuming that you could have an entire platoon deep strike if you wish.
    Indeed.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol ok thanks again.
    RG

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

You got it.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Bad Q but:
    2 sorts:

1 partial drop troop armies - these can be good you use the deep striking squads to deliver much needed hard hits to those difficult to reach areas, classic examples include the use of special weapons squads to:

1 melta gun armour
    2 flamer infantry
    3 put a demo charge in someones breakfast
    4 deep strike heavy flamer sentinels

Classic mistakes include the assumption that a squad can dep strike on an objective and hold it, generally the squad will get dlaughtered on its own very quickly

2. All deep strike army - best done with the Elysian rules in IA3 rather than codex, a drop troop army that all deep strikes is rather an unforgiving army, the premis is that you hit very had and then hold on foor deer life, generally I will pick 2 parts of the board/objectives/enemy troop concentrations and drop a platoon on each, other untis like special weapons squads, the command HQ, vets and storm troopers can be used to support either of the two or go fot other stuff.
    This works well for elysians as every squad can take a demo charge, which allows them to hit much harder than a conventional IG squad, although they lack the heavy weapons to hold the objective afterwards, plus little niceties like drop sentinels with multi meltas and Vulture gunships, all of which is beyond the scope of a codex drop troop army.
    Accordingly a codex drop troop army must invest a huge proportion of its force hitting a relatively minor part of its opponents, it then lacks the range and alternatives to hold on.

Therefore, whilst Elysians are considered by the author of their rules as a veterans army and not for the faint hearted, a codex drop troop army is even mroe down this route, unless you really know your onions they will get a good kicking
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Y2K
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, thanks for your input!
    RG

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

When I design a squad to deep strike, I never expect it to survive. But I usually make it a command squad or vet squad (I don't have stormies yet) with kitted out specials and a power fist. But I'm thinking lately the powerfist on an officer is a stupid waste of points, so that might be better as a power weapon. Specials with demo work well too.

Funny story- I deep striked a vet squad with meltas. Landed right next to my target- a Defiler with a nasty battlecannon. All three cookers hit. Nothing happened.

Funny story 2- Speaking of suicide squads, I sent a Command squad with 4 flamers racing out. He got first turn, immobilized it. They got closer about 4th turn. I hopped out, hit a squad of 6 marines with the flamers. Each flamer hit like 5 Marines. I also fired a plasma pistol. The flamers' tanks were apparently filled with water, because I failed to cause a single wound. The plasma pistol overheated, and my JO died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The other option for a good Dropping army is to use some allied Grey Knights. Grey Knights can hold objectives and work very nicely with deep striking suicide command squads.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast