Are drop pods too powerful? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are drop pods too powerful?

I've been to a couple major tourneys recently and each time the winner was an all drop-pod user. Now granted, drop-pods like any Deep Strike is a variable. It can work really well or work really poorly.

But my point is that drop pods in general, for their cost (and it's measely. Only thing preventing more people from using them is that there is no cheap way to buy a GW model) it gives you:

- Drift protection
    - Either guarenteed range of an enemy or a place to hide behind if you dont want them to get shot at or have a juicy Ordnance on them (except indirect fire)
    - An extra storm bolter shot (I know, a really crappy BS but still)
    - An easy way to claim objectives
    - Something that is really big that makes movement a big pain in the rear

Just load up a squad of marines with a meltagun in the mix and pretty much any vehicle is vulernable. Or one that's bolter heavy and mow through infantry.

Finally, why DOESN'T GW produce a cheap plastic drop-pod model?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the reason the model anit cheep is cuz none of the models are they want 40+$ for a rhino

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

and because making your own drop pods is so much cheaper and cooler. Just as with terrain.

And Drop Pods are powerful, but not over-powered. I have yet to see an infantry Space Marines army loose to a Full Drop Pod Marines army.

Greetings,
    Wulfbanes
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop pods aint overpowered because you can they are a nice ordanence target. You'll get not as much models under it as when you DS without a drop pod but still.

They deliver a squad where you want and garantey you that they won't get killed by terrain or something other than friendly units and that for 30 points. It's still alot of points.

He still scatters up to 12" away with an unlucky roll and exclude the ability to do something really usefull like blocking LOS.
    Don´t mess with the dicegod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

All drop pod armies are indeed powerful. I have witnessed them win a few tournaments myself. They are fantastic for their point cost and their tactical ability is unprecedented.

The real problem however is that people are still not used to that type of battle plan. Proper anti-drop pod tactics are still pretty limited.

Eventually, people will start to add portions of their list to deal with drop pods. When that happens the field will certainly even out.

As you did mention, occasionally drop pod armies are totally screwed by bad reserve rolls. This is basically what evens them out.

I think the reason people view them as "too powerful" is because fighting an army deploying from drop pods requires more then sending your army up the field and mashing them into your oponent. Fighting drop pods requires you to think and worse still, those people playing drop pod armies tend to play them for their tactical ability. This means they play more of a thinking game then an all out brawl game.

Ive watched a LOT of warhammer games over the years and a long time ago I noticed a distinction between players. There are those who look at it as a complicated chess game where every move has a counter or reaction and strategy is the name of the game and there are those who either do not care to, do not want to or just simply cant grasp the advanced tactics and strategy. These players like to use different types of lists, different units and all together play two completely different games. Drop pods have high appeal to those who are into strategy as they allow for far more tactical options in the end. I think this has lot to do with why drop pods are viewed as so powerful. The players controlling tacticaly inclined forces are tacticaly inclined themselves. This obviously isnt an end all rule but I would say this is a large part of the reason drop pods are viewed as so powerful. They cause you to play a thinking game and the person using them generally plays towards a thinking game and that gives them the advantage.
    Last edited by Chaosbrynn; April 17th, 2006 at 19:21.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with Chaosbrynn. I spend a lot of time studying my army and my opponents army. I use only two drop pods, but when they arrive they decimate the guy that I play most often (wether he plays Nids or Tau), while he on the other hand has trouble figuring out his own Codex and has little interest in studying mine. Tactically Drop pods can be great against anyone, but against someone who cannot see how dangerous they are, or figure out what to do about that danger, they are totally devastating!
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never faced a drop pod before but one thing that I think would work well is actually targeting the pod with some missiles and destroying it. A penatrating hit isn't that hard to get and you might score some hits on the unit when it blows.

If the pod drops over 12 inches away with tons of CC power, why not move the closest units away from it while furthur units shoot at it with all they have. This should inflict some casualties and reduce the damage drop pod units can do. I must agree that pods do seem very hard to go against, new pod rush...?
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by white_consulate
    I've never faced a drop pod before but one thing that I think would work well is actually targeting the pod with some missiles and destroying it. A penatrating hit isn't that hard to get and you might score some hits on the unit when it blows.
    Im not quite sure I understand what your saying but I think you may misunderstand how drop pods work.

Upon landing, whatever is in the pod disembarks immediately. Targetting the pod itself is useless as after it arrives, it only functions as blocking terrain (witch it still is when destroyed) and a storm bolter. Obviously a lone storm bolt er, especially at such an abismal BS isnt worth shooting at. As the marines have already disembarked, they will not be damaged by the pod getting hit unless it is hit with ordnance and actually explodes in a radius. So you would have to use ordnance and even then it would be rare for the pod to actually explode and with our famed armor save, wouldnt kill that many marines if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by white_consulate
    If the pod drops over 12 inches away with tons of CC power, why not move the closest units away from it while furthur units shoot at it with all they have. This should inflict some casualties and reduce the damage drop pod units can do. I must agree that pods do seem very hard to go against, new pod rush...?
    That really is the problem though. Because you do not have to fear dropping onto an enemy unit, your planned drop point can be right next to your oponents squads. This makes it nearly impossible (scatter die points in exact oposite direction of squad and you roll 12" scatter length) for you to drop over 12" away. In addition, you can disembark on any side of the pod AND get a 2" disembarkation. Between those factors it is nearlly impossible to stop a dropping squad from shooting its target with meltas, plasma and bolters.

However, your tactic is still the proper way to deal with assault based drop podders and works very well untill you start dealing with 3 or 4 pods comming in on the same turn. With that, the dropping player can come in in such a way that tactically denying them targets can be an incredible pain. This is also however why drop pod squads normally have significant firepower and why the cleanse and purify traight works so well with pods.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn

Upon landing, whatever is in the pod disembarks immediately. Targetting the pod itself is useless as after it arrives, it only functions as blocking terrain (witch it still is when destroyed) and a storm bolter. Obviously a lone storm bolt er, especially at such an abismal BS isnt worth shooting at. As the marines have already disembarked, they will not be damaged by the pod getting hit unless it is hit with ordnance and actually explodes in a radius. So you would have to use ordnance and even then it would be rare for the pod to actually explode and with our famed armor save, wouldnt kill that many marines if it did.
    Actually if you get a penetrating hit and the vehicle explodes it turns into a crater, no longer blocking LOS. You can do that without ordinance as far as I know.
    Last edited by BringerOfStorms; April 17th, 2006 at 22:37.
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bottom line is its all in the tactics. If you see very little on the board at the start of the game, or even nothing at all, assume they are all dropping.

I had a dark angel player do that to me with his deathwing. I just spread my guys out in a big circle so they could cover eachother but not have a domino effect if they got into cc. Even under bolter fire terminators can die, and die they did.
    If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast